• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Can someone explain to me why the need for revised toilet door controls on 333s? How on earth can you lock the toilet from the outside
If you press the close button inside the toilet on a 333, the bog locks itself automatically when it shuts. Press it and hop outside with nefarious intent and hey presto, it needs the guard to open it up again. It's always been a stupid design flaw.

sbrignall72

There is a Crewe to Hull Botanic Gardens and return in for this Saturday. Does anyone know the units involved. MTIA

td97

Established Member
Yes, the male voice is a very strong Yorkshire accent which doesn't really match well on NW services naming local Manchester/Lancashire/Merseyside/Cheshire stations. "Deansgate" was the most overbearing.
The female voice for BTP/security alerts is quite neutral though.

Harvey B

Has anyone else noticed the new announcements?

I rode 331107 earlier today and the announcements were instead narrated by an Yorkshire man.
Was going to say this. I rode back from Poulton to Leeds on Monday and noticed the new announcements.

Are they going to be on the rest of the fleet (Sprinters, 170's, 323's and 333's) or are they just for the 195's and 331's for now?

Also, who voices these new announcements?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Yes, I've heard the new announcements on a couple of trains this week.

I have no issue with them changing the voice, but I think they probably need go through and edit some of the clips, as there's some strangely placed pauses that appear which didn't with the old voice: "This is Manchester Piccadilly........... where this train........... terminates."

Also, presumably this has now provided the opportunity to correct pronunciation of places such as "Frizinghall" and "Handforth" which I understand were previously wrong.

Last edited:

Adam Evans

I don't mind the new announcements. At least they're reliable and consistent unlike what the new units had previously which seemingly kept changing from one set of lines to another every week.

The new announcements (whilst slightly robotic) are very clear and simple to understand which is the most important thing for your Average Joe.

Although yeah, the strong Yorkshire accent is slightly grating when announcing certain stations in Merseyside.
'Mozzley Hill' the most annoying one for me! :lol:

I wonder why they've had no problems with the system on the older refurbished units which have always worked and continue to work just fine.

Last edited:

JD2168

I have also noticed the new announcements on the Sheffield to Leeds via Barnsley service, it is in a strong Yorkshire accent.

skyhigh

Established Member
Does anyone know why a 333 is running round with the front set of doors on both end areas bright yellow, has northern changed the livery slightly
As I posted on the previous page, it's a trial to aid conductors with their door duties.

Adam Evans

At least they're reliable and consistent unlike what the new units had previously which seemingly kept changing from one set of lines to another every week.
I said this, although when I was on one today the first part of the announcement was sped up until it started announcing the stations. "WelcomeAboardThisNorthernServiceTo.... "

diligentdave

Does anyone know when 150141 goes to Bletchley, as that is one I need for the year, so best get a move on. MTIA
All 3 will be transferred to WMT Tyseley depot on 23rd July for staff/driver re-training, so will be a while before they work the Bletchley line (possibly end of August I read somewhere).

ewanh723

Hi all

Dont supose if any of you know if any of the 156s that have recently been transfered will get northern interiors? feels abit strange going into a northern livery train with EMR red interiors.

SteveyBee131

Hi all

Dont supose if any of you know if any of the 156s that have recently been transfered will get northern interiors? feels abit strange going into a northern livery train with EMR red interiors.
From what I can remember, the plan is for them to be done eventually. As they arrived with Northern after the original refurbishment contracts were signed (and indeed completed), they will need to be done as a separate contract. Think it was mentioned on here back in the spring so you might need to look a couple of pages back ;)

diligentdave

Hi all

Any unit that is coming out of Wolverton will have a Northern interior. 156409 has just come out, it's had a partial interior refurb (due to time constraints) but 416 & 417 will come out with a full interior refurb. No digital though as I've pointed out before.