• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Neptune

Established Member
It’s been mentioned that it’s to assist with guard’s duties to help see if the train has been fully platformed.
Yes makes the end doors stand out better for the guard due to the end doors being white on dark blue and harder to tell than the blue on white of the 331’s. It’s a trial at the moment.

The alternative was a light under the steps at the end doors which light up when the train is put in neutral at each station stop. Would help at night but the union are happy with yellow doors for the trial.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam0984

A 333 went on a gauging run recently to Doncaster, but I have heard during off peak hours trains may be a 3 car 331 and during peak hours it may be a 6 car 331.

But again I have heard the same it is intended to be for the December timetable change, but for the 331s I have been told a dispatcher may be needed at Shipley or the body side cameras may be used for dispatch by a guard in a cab.

We will also have to wait for ASDO testing I believe when they come as I’m not sure on what stations can’t accommodate anymore than 4 carriages and the announcements station to travel at the front of the train for certain stations don’t seem to click with passengers in my opinion.
The 333s are already cleared to run on the Doncaster line and have being since they were introduced many moons ago

The cab bodyside camera screens are in the cab and the door controls are in the saloon so that won't work

All the ASDO work has being done on the triangle and are all set up for 6 car operation and it locking un platformed doors out of use

Last edited:
The 333s are already cleared to run on the Doncaster line and have being since they were introduced many moons ago

The cab bodyside camera screens are in the cab and the door controls are in the saloon so that won't work

All the ASDO work has being done on the triangle and are all set up for 6 car operation and it locking un platformed doors out of use
I did wonder if they would use the door controls in the cab just I see it a bit inefficient for booking staff to dispatch just for 331s, and if they do end up dispatching I feel like it is just the Dft ways of pushing booking staff out of jobs.

Neptune

Established Member
I did wonder if they would use the door controls in the cab just I see it a bit inefficient for booking staff to dispatch just for 331s, and if they do end up dispatching I feel like it is just the Dft ways of pushing booking staff out of jobs.
The cab buttons are for drivers and only work with a drivers key in that desk.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Have the selective door opening announcements changed alongside the other announcements on the Northern Civities? I remember the selective door opening announcements for the old announcement system weren’t the most informative.

Tayway

Which services will the transferred Class 323s be operating? Presumably Liverpool to Wigan as that is the main route currently served by 319s, as well as the new electric Wigan to Stalybridge services. Might Hazel Grove see a return to EMU operation too?

Geeves

Established Member
Yeah everything that is 319s currently and the new Wigan - Stalybridge should all be 323s... Eventually. I think with the way the timetable is unfortunately Hazel Grove is still stuck with diesels

Ryry

Any updates on the non ex emr 156s that went for repair.

How long will it be till they are back in service

jonesy3001

Established Member
Any updates on the non ex emr 156s that went for repair.

How long will it be till they are back in service
The updates are in this thread.

Liam L

Not sure if this thread has been keeping up to date
However since my last post, WMRs 323205 & 323210 has joined the 323212 in receiving Northern Digital mods. 323208 is currently at Bletchley.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Yeah everything that is 319s currently and the new Wigan - Stalybridge should all be 323s... Eventually. I think with the way the timetable is unfortunately Hazel Grove is still stuck with diesels
Anyone have any idea what the plan is for the other electric stoppers from Piccadilly? Currently the Hadfields are all 323s, the Alderey Edge terminators are all 331s, and the Crewes and Stokes mostly 323s with the occasional 331.

jonesy3001

Established Member

scrapy

Established Member
But again I have heard the same it is intended to be for the December timetable change, but for the 331s I have been told a dispatcher may be needed at Shipley or the body side cameras may be used for dispatch by a guard in a cab.
Is the curvature at Shipley any worse than that at Carnforth platform 1?

Here 6 car 195s are dispatched by a guard stepping right out with no need for use of cameras or a dispatcher.

Neptune

Established Member
Is the curvature at Shipley any worse than that at Carnforth platform 1?

Here 6 car 195s are dispatched by a guard stepping right out with no need for use of cameras or a dispatcher.
Platform 2 is narrow and as the guard will be in the 4th vehicle (front door of rear set) rather than the 2nd or 3rd (as now) they would not be able to see all the train when closing their doors. Safer to have that 2nd pair of eyes able to keep an eye on the front doors.

Liam L

Ive lost track of the WM 323 moves to Northern. Have any been repainted in Northern colours and anyone any idea when they are moving north.
Thanks
K
323205, 323208, 323210, 323212 are back in traffic with USB mods.
323218 at the works currently.

They won't be repainted before transfer next year.

sbrignall72

156438 is on its way back from Wolverton, left at 625. Is one due to go in return. Or are they concentrating on what they have already.

Trainman5862

156438 is on its way back from Wolverton, left at 625. Is one due to go in return. Or are they concentrating on what they have already.
Another 156 is due to leave Heaton for Wolverton in the early hours of tomorrow morning, unsure which one it’s booked to be though.

diligentdave

Another 156 is due to leave Heaton for Wolverton in the early hours of tomorrow morning, unsure which one it’s booked to be though.

sbrignall72

Heaton to Wolverton has been cancelled this morning

Looks like Heaton to Wolverton is running this morning

Looks like Heaton to Wolverton is running this morning
And it is not 156490 as that is working from Lancaster today

Last edited: