• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Sorry, I'm getting muddled up - I meant to say 103 is doing what it was planned to.

108 was in position ready to move. I've got no idea where Railcam got 103 from.

reecestrains

Sorry, I'm getting muddled up - I meant to say 103 is doing what it was planned to.

108 was in position ready to move. I've got no idea where Railcam got 103 from.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused here... I was just checking if a unit was actually transferred from Skipton to Allerton this evening despite RTT saying cancelled or if it actually was another cancellation?

superkev

Established Member
Perhaps with all recent difficulties towing the 331s across the pennines going the long way round via Edinburgh or London may be more successful.
K

reecestrains

Perhaps with all recent difficulties towing the 331s across the pennines going the long way round via Edinburgh or London may be more successful.
K
That would be interesting to see, but I don't think they'll do that as it's such a long way round. It'd be easier being towed through the Bentham Line or even Settle-Carlisle then down towards Allerton.

Mamorin

K
Are ROG drivers even trained on the 331s? Given that Northern need the 4 cars in the North West before the TT change in December there is no time to train ROG drivers up on 331s.

So unless ROG drivers are trained on 331s going the long way is impossible.

That would be interesting to see, but I don't think they'll do that as it's such a long way round. It'd be easier being towed through the Bentham Line or even Settle-Carlisle then down towards Allerton.
Might be the only way if the issue with towing the 331s across the pennines continues, since its not the route is the issue. The issue is something to do with the locomotive be from what I've read online.

superkev

Established Member
RTT shows Allerton to Skipton 331 move as running. Early too.
Anyone know the unit number as well as which units have now moved.
Thanks
K

reecestrains

I know 331102 and 331104 have now gone North West. I feel they might try 108 again this afternoon.

331001 and 331002 have now moved to Yorkshire with another one coming over today.
Are ROG drivers even trained on the 331s? Given that Northern need the 4 cars in the North West before the TT change in December there is no time to train ROG drivers up on 331s.

So unless ROG drivers are trained on 331s going the long way is impossible.

Might be the only way if the issue with towing the 331s across the pennines continues, since its not the route is the issue. The issue is something to do with the locomotive be from what I've read online.
At this rate, all 12 4 car 331's won't be over in the North West for the timetable change with it only being a couple weeks away.

Geeves

Established Member
Are ROG drivers even trained on the 331s?

I know at least one driver at ROG that is trained on 331s, either way its unlikely they (331s) are cleared to go via Scotland.

I think it would also be unfair to blame ROG and the 37s seeing as 331s are not exactly known for being straight forward in any way, I can well imagine "computer says no"

331002 is out plying its trade on Leeds - Doncaster jobs today

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
331002 - 3 cars on the busy Doncaster route doesn't seem a good idea.

RTT shows 331008 on the 15.30 Bradford FS Leeds today.
K
333s to come eventually. Whether or not you see that as an upgrade or downgrade depends on whether you value capacity (333) over facilities (331).

skyhigh

Established Member
333s to come eventually. Whether or not you see that as an upgrade or downgrade depends on whether you value capacity (333) over facilities (331).
Essentially the main difference in facilities for passengers between 333s and 331s will just be tables and 2+2 seating. They both have air con, some form of power sockets and a single toilet.

Adam0984

It looks like northern are purposefully putting 002 on busy trains in and out of Leeds, it was on the 1715 Leeds to Ilkley yesterday, 1722 Leeds to Doncaster today having being swapped off the triangle this morning, tonight it ends its day at Doncaster (subject to any late swaps) and will probably be put on a busy arrival and may find its self on a busy Skipton this week. They'll be assessing if a 3 car can take the normal amount of passengers without leaving people behind