• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northumberland Line to be re-opened to passengers

bramling

Veteran Member
Regarding Manors, I used to live in the area and had no idea the old station was still there, one morning I was out for a walk and stumbled across it, I honestly thought it was abandoned, very run down, it still had working pay phone on the wall.

It's one of those central yet oddly remote places, despite a huge amount of student development around it, I doubt most students are even aware it is there.

For most people Manors means the Metro station, I have even known people swear blind the rail doesn't exist anymore.

The metro station isn’t exactly heavily used either. It can be quite eerie at times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The metro station isn’t exactly heavily used either. It can be quite eerie at times.
Indeed, it's mainly a haunt for ne'er do wells who want to avoid the inspectors in town.

I used it now and then to visit a mate on the coast, but it was horrendous in the evening, in the end I used to get the bus.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Indeed, it's mainly a haunt for ne'er do wells who want to avoid the inspectors in town.
Not so much anymore because of all the new student flats and the Northumbria University business school. It did used to be though.

The railway station is almost impossible to find. It really is forgotten. It’ll be interesting if they do stop the Northumberland Line trains there.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Not so much anymore because of all the new student flats and the Northumbria University business school. It did used to be though.

The railway station is almost impossible to find. It really is forgotten. It’ll be interesting if they do stop the Northumberland Line trains there.
They’ve definitely said alternate trains will call, it’s been mentioned a few times recently in this thread. The calls are in RTT from the June timetable change, although the whole service is still marked ‘runs as required’.

So is there any indication when we can expect services to start without some of the stops

Freightmaster

Established Member
For the record, the new signalling between Bedlington and Ashington was brought
into use yesterday (Friday April 5th), with the first freight services to Lynemouth
and North Blyth to use the new signalling running this afternoon (biomass trains
are diverted via Morpeth until the end of May)

I understand that the line is now physically blocked at Bebside level crossing to
enable work to take place on the southern half of the route over the next six weeks
and if all goes well, the entire route will reopen on Thursday May 30th.

MARK

Train Maniac

into use yesterday (Friday April 5th), with the first freight services to Lynemouth
and North Blyth to use the new signalling running this afternoon (biomass trains

I understand that the line is now physically blocked at Bebside level crossing to
enable work to take place on the southern half of the route over the next six weeks

MARK
Hang on, to passenger services as well??

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hang on, to passenger services as well??
No. Although “runs as required” paths exist from the June timetable change, they’ll initially be for training. The passenger services won’t start until some weeks or months later. The website says “summer”, not “summer timetable”.

(I hadn't noticed post #876 before but I think it’s premature.)

androdas

The council are still going with the vague 'Summer 2024' line probably until the date is set in stone as they have had a bit of bad publicity around dates with Bedlington etc. They did state in an update that the Driver / Conductor training starts in April in the update about the removal of chase meadows crossing: https://www.northumberlandline.uk/post/closure-of-chase-meadows-foot-crossing . However as freightmaster has said the southern half is closed until May so seems that would be the more likely date for the training runs to start. They have been doing some already on the southern section and usually it looked like the paths (5A01/02 etc) dont appear on RTT until the day before the runs.

Anvil1984

Established Member
The council are still going with the vague 'Summer 2024' line probably until the date is set in stone as they have had a bit of bad publicity around dates with Bedlington etc. They did state in an update that the Driver / Conductor training starts in April in the update about the removal of chase meadows crossing: https://www.northumberlandline.uk/post/closure-of-chase-meadows-foot-crossing . However as freightmaster has said the southern half is closed until May so seems that would be the more likely date for the training runs to start. They have been doing some already on the southern section and usually it looked like the paths (5A01/02 etc) dont appear on RTT until the day before the runs.

The runs so far have only been for “stakeholder” / publicity events and Driver / conductor manager route knowledge. Route learning for the instructor drivers and normal traincrew has not commenced along any of the route

DanNCL

Established Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread. Will Newcastle based Northern crews be learning the route to Ashington or will it be entirely crewed by the new Ashington depot?

Anvil1984

Established Member
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread. Will Newcastle based Northern crews be learning the route to Ashington or will it be entirely crewed by the new Ashington depot?

Both for conductors , there will be no drivers based at Ashington

59CosG95

Established Member
I believe the plan is still to open Ashington, Seaton Delaval & Newsham to passenger services first, with Northumberland Park, Blyth Bebside & Bedlington to follow at a later date.

td97

Established Member

MARK
Followed up by the Siemens Project Manager
I am delighted to be able to announce that Siemens have successfully re-signalled and entered into service Phase 1 of the Northumberland Line on Saturday 6th April 2024 at 12:45. Over the Easter 2024 holiday period, during a 9 day blockade, Siemens undertook the first of 2 commissioning’s, entering into service 2 of 3 interlocking islands. This is a significant milestone for the overall project and is the key enabler for the introduction of passenger services later in 2024. We have seen some notable collaboration on-site throughout the blockade between CRSA, Morgan Sindall, AMCO, Network Rail and Northumberland County Council undertaking track renewals, highways upgrades, demolition of 2 signal boxes as well as the introduction of Siemens Signalling System. This stage has introduced a new WESTCAD workstation at Tyneside ROC, known as Ashington Workstation, decommissioned 3 mechanical signal boxes and converting Bedlington South signal box to a gate box, as well as replacing the semaphore signalling in the area for new LED Signals. Alongside this, we have upgraded a number of level crossings which will be operational and controlled by the new workstation, including MCB-OD MKII’s, CCTV, MCB and MSL crossings. The next part of the journey will see Siemens renew additional level crossings from Bebside to Benton, entering into service the final interlocking island in early June, bringing the southern part of the route into use. Upon completion of the final stage, the Northumberland Line will be in a position to introduce passenger trains back into service between Ashington and Newcastle. A huge thank-you to every single individual that has been part of the project team, I am so proud of what we have achieved together. There have been many challenges along the way but without the commitment and dedication shown over the last 2 years what we have achieved would not have been possible.

Meerkat

Established Member
Is there a summary/diagram of the project showing what happens to the signal boxes and track layout please? Has Freeman’s SB on the Blyth branch gone, and has the triangle been simplified?

Why is Bedlington South remaining as a gate box - aren’t Isolated gate boxes a staffing headache (or not so bad as training is presumably easier)?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there a summary/diagram of the project showing what happens to the signal boxes and track layout please? Has Freeman’s SB on the Blyth branch gone, and has the triangle been simplified?

Why is Bedlington South remaining as a gate box - aren’t Isolated gate boxes a staffing headache (or not so bad as training is presumably easier)?
There’s a signal diagram link early last year, post #551, please see below. Bedlington South is mentioned in the following discussion.

Last edited:

Meerkat

Established Member
There’s a signal diagram linked early last year, post #551, linked below. Bedlington South is mentioned in the following discussion.

Thanks. Bit surprised the triangle is remaining as an old school double track one, but I guess if it ain’t broke don’t put it in your budget…..
What’s special about Bedlington LC that it needs a bod on site to operate it?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks. Bit surprised the triangle is remaining as an old school double track one, but I guess if it ain’t broke don’t put it in your budget…..
What’s special about Bedlington LC that it needs a bod on site to operate it?
A good question. Back in the earlier discussion I noted that a Modern Railways article had suggested it was going to be a fringe box to Tyneside, but that quickly turned out to be incorrect.

The only thing I can think of is that it’s quite a complex area with crossings at both ends of the station, including the rail junction and a fairly busy foot crossing at the start of the Morpeth route as well. Not possible to reroute the roads like at Newsham. No footbridge so the only access between platforms seems to be via the road. Perhaps the combination of all those features makes it a higher risk area, but impossible to replace with technology such as obstacle detection?

Would be interesting to hear from an expert in such matters.

Trestrol

The precedent has already been set in Northumberland. We Have Morpeth, Alnmouth and Tweedmouth signal boxes on the ECML. This was due to the number of level crossings on the north east coast main line.

zwk500

Veteran Member
A good question. Back in the earlier discussion I noted that a Modern Railways article had suggested it was going to be a fringe box to Tyneside, but that quickly turned out to be incorrect.

The only thing I can think of is that it’s quite a complex area with crossings at both ends of the station, including the rail junction and a fairly busy foot crossing at the start of the Morpeth route as well. Not possible to reroute the roads like at Newsham. No footbridge so the only access between platforms seems to be via the road. Perhaps the combination of all those features makes it a higher risk area, but impossible to replace with technology such as obstacle detection?

Would be interesting to hear from an expert in such matters.
I am far from an expert, but the staggered crossroads and high proportion of traffic likely to turn right immediately after crossing the line stand out to me as reasons why having a person may be preferable to CCTV or OD. The level crossing appears to be on a key route for Local traffic, although it's not clear whether routes traffic to/from further afield generally take would necessarily use the crossing.

androdas

I was over at Ashington earlier today and took a couple of photos from the soon to be demolished Wansbeck Square ramp and I noticed that a small section of the old Northbound platform has been resurfaced complete with yellow line but fenced off from the rest of the station. What appears to be a 7 car stop marker has been installed. Took a couple of photos below. Does anyone know what this would be for?

1712927210461.jpeg

1712927267628.jpeg

zwk500

Veteran Member
I was over at Ashington earlier today and took a couple of photos from the soon to be demolished Wansbeck Square ramp and I noticed that a small section of the old Northbound platform has been resurfaced complete with yellow line but fenced off from the rest of the station. What appears to be a 7 car stop marker has been installed. Took a couple of photos below. Does anyone know what this would be for?
That looks like a drivers walkway to my very inexpert eye. The triangular stop marker is a reversing point, so presumably there's a foreseen need that long trains might be reversing behind the signal.

The exile

Established Member

View attachment 156281

View attachment 156282
Emergency use for detraining if the bay can’t be accessed for some reason?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Emergency use for detraining if the bay can’t be accessed for some reason?
As Ashington is the end of the NR line, my guess (and its nothing more than that) is that the reversal facility is for test trains. As the line is now a passenger route it will presumably need to be inspected more frequently.

androdas

Cant think of a reason why a 7 car train would end up there, the line is a dead end at a power station? Test trains would make sense, at 7 cars would the Network Rail HST fit? I doubt that would ever be used up there though.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Cant think of a reason why a 7 car train would end up there, the line is a dead end at a power station? Test trains would make sense, at 7 cars would the Network Rail HST fit? I doubt that would ever be used up there though.
It maybe allows for the ECS for the first few morning trains to run from the depot coupled as one? That doesn’t necessarily explain why it’s marked seven cars, but it might explain why some extra length at that particular location has been allowed for.

59CosG95

Established Member
That looks like a drivers walkway to my very inexpert eye. The triangular stop marker is a reversing point, so presumably there's a foreseen need that long trains might be reversing behind the signal.
Can confirm that the purpose of said drivers' walkway is for maintenance trains (think tampers, test trains, RHTTs etc.) which are otherwise too long to fit in the bay.
From what I can tell, only 950001 and an MPV would likely be able to squeeze in.

androdas

Can confirm that the purpose of said drivers' walkway is for maintenance trains (think tampers, test trains, RHTTs etc.) which are otherwise too long to fit in the bay.
From what I can tell, only 950001 and an MPV would likely be able to squeeze in.

Thanks for the info that explains it. I was having a browse of the proposed Ashington timetables in Realtime Trains and noticed this: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H16441/2024-06-02/detailed (1Q35 Hull to Darlington via Ashington test train scheduled on 2/6/24) so it does look like they plan to send the New Mesurement Train up the Blyth and Tyne even though I realise it might not run. I would imagine this would be the first time a HST has been north of Bedlington Junction.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Youtube recommended to me a 10 year old cab ride video of Benton Junction to Morpeth Via Bedlington. I noticed the double track section as you leave Benton Jn is reasonably long, so can it be used as a ‘dynamic loop’ if down and up trains happen to be running at suitable times, or will one of the trains always be required to stop for a short period?