• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northumberland Line to be re-opened to passengers

Llandudno

Established Member
Is there a provisional timetable available for the Northumberland Line?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is there a provisional timetable available for the Northumberland Line?
No, to the best of my knowledge they’ve only ever publicised end to end timings. I don’t think there’s been any mention here yet of a track access application.

geoffk

Established Member
It may not hurt but it isn't free. And there's an art to signing something effectively in an urban area that requires time to locate the signs in the optimum positions. Time and experience aren't cheap, so the question becomes who pays? The railway says 'its' outside our boundary' and the council says 'it's being done for the railway, not for us' and so you have the mess British planning always ends up in.
A task for Nexus, surely. Incidentally on the journey I referred to I was heading for Chathill, so important not to miss the train!

androdas

A task for Nexus, surely. Incidentally on the journey I referred to I was heading for Chathill, so important not to miss the train!
Nexus don't operate in Northumberland yet* they are the Tyne and Wear transport authority.

*Might change with the new combined authority that may cover the area taking transport powers however it may not be called Nexus

geoffk

Established Member
Nexus don't operate in Northumberland yet* they are the Tyne and Wear transport authority.

*Might change with the new combined authority that may cover the area taking transport powers however it may not be called Nexus
I meant that signing at Manors would be a task for Nexus.

Pinza-C55

It wouldn't make any commercial sense to stop at Manors and reopening a station at Heaton would be prohibitively expensive.
Maybe if a future resignalling encompassed restoring the main line to 4 tracks but otherwise its a no no.

Class142sbad

It wouldn't make any commercial sense to stop at Manors and reopening a station at Heaton would be prohibitively expensive.
Maybe if a future resignalling encompassed restoring the main line to 4 tracks but otherwise its a no no.
Doubt there would be much using a Heaton station. From the South there is Byker and Chillingham road metros and there are frequent (thats if they run) buses. So I doubt that and the quad track situation is also playing here aswell.

androdas

Programme Director Neil Blackburn has told a meeting of the council that the target opening date is August 2024 according to the chronicle here:

Speaking at Tuesday's meeting of the Cramlington, Bedlington and Seaton Valley Local Area Council, Mr Blackburn said he was confident the deadline would be met.

He said: "We're targeting August next year for the first passengers to be carried. That relies on a number of things coming together.

"The stations will be the final pieces of the jigsaw and we're working to August right now. Once we get going it's pretty hard to stop. We're on with it."

The Chronicle also mentions that he said that even though they are looking to terminate at Newcastle, other destinations are still on the table.

Mr Blackburn also revealed he hoped trains could go even further than Newcastle, and suggested journeys could go beyond the city.

He added: "We think trains are going to go into platform one or two at Newcastle - that would be a terminus platform, but space at Newcastle is always an issue and will continue to be.

"We could go on to the Metrocentre or another destination. We walk before we run, but I think there's real potential for Northern to expand it beyond."

I realise 2 isn't a terminating platform but that could easily be a misquote by the chronicle, the standards are not particularly high.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The Chronicle also mentions that he said that even though they are looking to terminate at Newcastle, other destinations are still on the table.

I realise 2 isn't a terminating platform but that could easily be a misquote by the by the chronicle, the standards are not particularly high.
The quote may well be accurate - it sounds like an unprepared answer, so you can imagine him meaning 'we could go into 1, which would be a terminus platform, but we might need to go into 2 if there isn't space.'

I think his other statement is quite apt - they should focus on getting it working between Newcastle and Ashington before anything else.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Yeah 2 does sound like a possible alternative depending on turnaround time. Platform 2 prior to 2019 was used for Metrocentre to Morpeth services often after using the High Level Bridge and reversing.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Yeah 2 does sound like a possible alternative depending on turnaround time. Platform 2 prior to 2019 was used for Metrocentre to Morpeth services often after using the High Level Bridge and reversing.
It depends on whether or not they stop at Manors and what length unit they use, but if they're not stopping Manors they could also run into 5 or 7 (or 6 or 8).

androdas

It depends on whether or not they stop at Manors and what length unit they use, but if they're not stopping Manors they could also run into 5 or 7 (or 6 or 8).
I think the platforms are all being designed to take 3 cars but in reality it will probably be a 2 car 158/156 to begin with as that's what Northern has at Heaton.

Anvil1984

Established Member

The main reason isn’t Manors but conflicts north of Newcastle

Theoretically they can use any platform at Newcastle regardless of stopping pattern with the exclusions of:-
Platforms 9-12 (obvious reasons)
Platform 8 (was only big enough for a 142 if formed from a service coming off the King Edward Bridge, would have to start ahead of the signal if formed off one from the North or the High Level Bridge so wouldn’t probably be planned ).
Potentially Platform 5 but only if it’s a 4 car unit reversing after a service from the HLB / North

Platforms 1 and 2 have direct access to the Down Main and Down Platform** at Manors. You can cross to the Up Main / Up Platform and avoider via Newcastle East Jn (“the Castle)
Platforms 3 and 4 have direct access to the Up Main and Up Platform at Manors however services can access the down line and platform via Dean Street Junction and also to the avoider via Newcastle East Jn

Platforms 5 - 8 (although as mentioned 8 is the least likely) have direct access to the avoider, can cross to the Up Line Platform via Pilgrim Street crossover then can access the Down Line via the crossover at Argyle St Crossover to the north of the station but again this slows southbound traffic

If services don’t use the down main / down platform at Manors there’s going to be more conflicts than just the one from Down Main to the new line at Benton and paths may be pretty tight (it’s only two track from Heaton South. If they use the avoider from 5/7 and not stopping at Manors it’d still have to await a path at Heaton South Junction onto one of the Bi-Di lines then either run “wrong direction” with no further conflicts but block / slow southbound services for a few minutes or go “right direction” and have a full crossover to the Down Main then back again at Benton

** I know Manors is an island platform in case anyone gets annoyed by me saying up / down platform.

I think the platforms are all being designed to take 3 cars but in reality it will probably be a 2 car 158/156 to begin with as that's what Northern has at Heaton.

Pretty sure they are building 100 metre platforms on the new stations leaving the only platforms unable to take 4 cars (92 metres) would be at Manors and the previously mentioned issues with P5 and P8 at Newcastle

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Pretty sure they are building 100 metre platforms on the new stations leaving the only platforms unable to take 4 cars (96 metres) would be at Manors and the previously mentioned issues with P5 and P8 at Newcastle
I just checked a few of the planning drawings and yes, 100m is the standard length between platform ends.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Ouch! This type of unexpected cost increase, whilst construction is already under way on the reopening, is exactly the sort of thing that undermines confidence in rail projects.

Construction costs for a road bridge on a passenger rail line due to reopen in 2024 have trebled to £30.6m, figures have revealed.
The 18-mile Northumberland Line between Newcastle and Ashington is set to be revived six decades after it was shut.
The cost for the bridge at Newsham was estimated at just over £11m in 2021 but inflation has been blamed for the rise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey C

Established Member
Ouch! This type of unexpected cost increase, whilst construction is already under way on the reopening, is exactly the sort of thing that undermines confidence in rail projects.

Construction costs for a road bridge on a passenger rail line due to reopen in 2024 have trebled to £30.6m, figures have revealed.
The 18-mile Northumberland Line between Newcastle and Ashington is set to be revived six decades after it was shut.
The cost for the bridge at Newsham was estimated at just over £11m in 2021 but inflation has been blamed for the rise.
There's been inflation since 2021, but nowhere near that level of increase.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Construction inflation has outstripped general inflation, tbf. But I think there's a little more to it:
The council's decision comes after the Department for Transport declined to provide funding to close the existing crossing and divert the A1061 across a new bridge over the railway.
Sounds like they were expecting the DfT to fund the bridge from elsewhere and now they've got to find it for themselves. I bet the Tories don't mention that when trumpeting that they've reopened the line!

Haywain

Veteran Member
Costs of materials, fuel, transport and labour have all increased quite dramatically over the last few years. CoVid, Brexit and the war in Ukraine have all contributed.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Construction inflation has outstripped general inflation, tbf. But I think there's a little more to it:

Sounds like they were expecting the DfT to fund the bridge from elsewhere and now they've got to find it for themselves. I bet the Tories don't mention that when trumpeting that they've reopened the line!
It‘s a busy level crossing on a through traffic route, so I suspect the bridge requirement was a part of the level crossing risk assessment, the existing crossing would have been just at the north of the platform ends. So in other words it isn’t some sort of unrelated “gold plating”.

But on the other hand theres a similarly placed level crossing at the south end of Bedlington station, and that’s staying.

zwk500

Veteran Member
It‘s a busy level crossing on a through traffic route, so I suspect the bridge requirement was a part of the level crossing risk assessment, the existing crossing would have been just at the north of the platform ends. So in other words it isn’t some sort of unrelated “gold plating”.
I wasn't suggesting it was over-engineering, just that the reason the cost to the project has trebled is that they were expecting the bridge to be funded under a different scheme maybe and now the DfT have pulled a fast one and Northumberland Council can do little else but dig up the cash.
But on the other hand theres a similarly placed level crossing at the south end of Bedlington station, and that’s staying.
To be fair the layout of the local road networks is quite different between those two examples - at Bedlington the main road off the dual carriageway actually goes under the line near the river, with Station road catering for largely local traffic. Also it's very close to the station so the lower speed for trains will make a difference to the safety audit. The A1061 at Blyth is the shortest route to the Dual Carriageway from the docks, and the nearest alternative route via a bridge would be straight through the town centre of Blyth. There's also space to put in a bridge at the A1061 which there isn't in the middle of Bedlington.

Mikey C

Established Member
Costs of materials, fuel, transport and labour have all increased quite dramatically over the last few years. CoVid, Brexit and the war in Ukraine have all contributed.
But not to that extent

androdas

Northumberland Line: Road bridge costs spiral to £30m

I have watched the recording of the council meeting on NorthumberlandTV on which this report is based and I cant help thinking the BBC is a little bit misleading as it doesn't specifically say that the £4m had been approved and just says an urgent report was being commissioned, however Northumberland County Council actually voted to commit the funding at this meeting. committing £2.08 million from their Regeneration Budget and £2 million from the Capital Inflation budget.

Other reports in for example the Northumberland Gazette and The Evening Chronicle mentions "The council unanimously agreed to the new funding package." They also voted to execute all contracts on the Northumberland Line project through to entry into service.

If you want to watch for yourself the link to the meeting is here and the Northumberland line is discussed from the 31 minute mark for around 5 minutes https://www.youtube.com/live/AXdnComQMJM?feature=share&t=1878

Pinza-C55

I fully expect every local or national government sponsored project to face dramatic unexpected cost increases and as a taxpayer I am happy to fund them.

chiltern trev

The location would appear to be after the line has turned east off the ECML - go round the north to east curve, past the Proctor and Gamble site and before the industrial estate housing BCA Newcastle.

Major milestone for the Northumberland Line as work takes place on last and largest underpass​

Cutting-edge technology is being used to create the last and largest underpass on the Northumberland Line.
The major five-day operation, which will vastly increase safety by replacing the current pedestrian crossing point, has involved closing the line which is currently used for freight for 100 hours while engineers work round the clock.

The cutting will divert the existing Public Right of Way through the underpass structure finishing by joining back into an existing underpass under the Metro lines.
A self-propelled modular transporter (SPMT) is one of the stars of this stage of the work. It’s a giant multi-wheeled trailer used for transporting massive objects, from large bridge sections to spacecraft and any other objects that are too big or heavy for trucks.
The current crossing will be dug out before the SPMT carries the 400-tonne concrete underpass sections into place. The line will then be re-laid on top.
During the operation some 2,500 cubic metres of material will be excavated before the three-part underpass is installed and backfilled with 1,750 cubic metres of earth.
“Day and night work is taking place to bring this fantastic line back into passenger use and these are key parts of the infrastructure to ensure it’s a smooth and safe experience for everyone.”
Tony Lloyd, senior project manager with primary contractor Morgan Sindall Infrastructure, said: “We're delighted to be working alongside Northumberland County Council and other partners to deliver these improvements to the Northumberland Line demonstrating our commitment to connecting people and places through innovative and responsible infrastructure.
“We’re also excited about continuing our work with local schools and the community as part of this project to create a lasting legacy.”
The underpass creation is the latest milestone on work to restore passenger services between Ashington and Newcastle from summer 2024.
The completed line will see brand new stations built at Ashington, Bedlington, Bebside, Blyth Newsham, Seaton Delaval and Northumberland Park, along with miles of track relaid and a host of new infrastructure.
Once complete, passengers will enjoy a journey time between Newcastle and Ashington of just 35 minutes, with services operating regularly seven days a week.

Last edited:

William3000

Does anybody know if the new service will call at Manors. It would be good to see Manors get a better service and the links between the metro and national rail improved. It’s useful for the east end and the eastern part of the quayside.