• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northwich Station Roof Collapse - 18/05/2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I've seen videos on Facebook, pretty nasty considering the side it fell on.
Image from https://www.cheshire-live.co.uk/new...s/live-roof-collapses-onto-northwich-20621496

Appears the wall has come down and the roof has stayed up...

(Image shows gable end wall has collapsed onto the station platform and through the platform canopy)
You can see greenery under all of that. Not good at all.
There's smaller examples of this on the wall between the Chester bound platform at Knutsford and the A537 as well (the platform side.) If that wall collapses then not only would the train line close but the main road route between Macclesfield and Warrington would close as well.
And cause a massive diversion for everyone in the northern part of town, such as myself, just to get into town. It's also not the only plant problem on the line. Quite a few trees need cutting back at Deansgate Junction.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The main culprit (buddleia) is clearly visible in the top photograph on post #6 amongst the detritus on the platform, .

Robertj21a

On Moderation
To be fair to NR, access to a wall immediately over any sort of fragile roof covering is difficult and would need a significant amount of scaffolding and possibly removing some panes of glass. Gable walls with no proper head restraint (no ties between the purlins and the wall) are often not terribly stable.
Whoever did the last inspection is probably checking their files!
Is this sort of thing subject to a routine check every X months/years ?. What would be a typical timeframe for such checks?

peters

On Moderation
17:41 Manchester Piccadilly to Chester and 19:00 Chester to Manchester Piccadilly will be the first passenger services in each direction to run the entire route, they will not call at Northwich and a shuttle bus will run between Greenbank and Tesco's on Manchester Road (near the station) until at least tomorrow afternoon.

M60lad

Looking at the damage how are Northern expecting to get the station open to passengers in time for tomorrow evening's rush hour?

When will repairs take place to fix the damage caused today?

Geeves

Established Member
The building is to be made safe during the night, trains passing will divert round the goods lines for the time being.

skyhigh

Established Member
The building is to be made safe during the night, trains passing will divert round the goods lines for the time being.
And the rest of the building (bar the units sublet) will be demolished in the next 24hrs.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And the rest of the building (bar the units sublet) will be demolished in the next 24hrs.

Mentioned in a Northern press release. See link below...

Extract from press release...

"...Network Rail is carrying out a full investigation into what happened alongside the regulator, the Office for Rail and Road, but the priority for now is to make the station safe and operational as soon as possible.

Part of the station building will be demolished tonight (Tuesday 18 May) and the site fully cleared during tomorrow. ..."

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Mentioned in a Northern press release. See link below...

Extract from press release...

"...Network Rail is carrying out a full investigation into what happened alongside the regulator, the Office for Rail and Road, but the priority for now is to make the station safe and operational as soon as possible.

Part of the station building will be demolished tonight (Tuesday 18 May) and the site fully cleared during tomorrow. ..."
I'm assuming it'll be rebuilt at some point then as Northwich can't go forever without a ticket office

Can it?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Do you think that means the whole building, or just the part that has to be cleared tonight ?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The main culprit (buddleia) is clearly visible in the top photograph on post #6 amongst the detritus on the platform, .

You see Buddleia Davidii all over the railway system. Incidentally, if you look at the tramway entrance to Manchester Victoria station, above the level of the wires, there seems to be a specimen that has been in the brickwork for quite a long time.

Established Member
Seen footage of it. Seems to be someone exiting the building & shuts the door behind them.

There's the lesson, just like yer mum told ya, never slam doors :lol:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Have not Freightliner fairly recently been involved in some overnight trials of class 70 hauled “Jumbo“ sized 4000 tonne aggregate trains on the Mid Cheshire Line? Not that I’m in any way suggesting that these trains were responsible for today’s Northwich collapse...

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Have not Freightliner fairly recently been involved in some overnight trials of class 70 hauled “Jumbo“ sized 4000 tonne aggregate trains on the Mid Cheshire Line? Not that I’m in any way suggesting that these trains were responsible for today’s Northwich collapse...
I'd personally say our recent weather was more of a factor that the heavy freight trains, although I won't downplay that they may be a cause.

skyhigh

Established Member
Seen footage of it. Seems to be someone exiting the building & shuts the door behind them.

There's the lesson, just like yer mum told ya, never slam doors :lol:
Do you happen to have a link please?

Do you think that means the whole building, or just the part that has to be cleared tonight ?
I believe the whole thing is going - I suspect they can't be sure on the structural integrity of the rest, and don't want to risk any further issues.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I believe the whole thing is going - I suspect they can't be sure on the structural integrity of the rest, and don't want to risk any further issues.

Thanks. That seems like quite an extreme reaction to me, when one considers that structures such as Middlesborough station (as an example) sustained quite significant bomb damage, yet were repaired and brought back into use.

daodao

Established Member

It will be the loss of a familiar landmark for me - I often use the nearby Tesco fuel station when working in Northwich or travelling to Leighton (the petrol price per litre in Northwich is typically cheaper than elsewhere), as does D&G buses (judging from my last visit on 11/5/21), but not the railway itself.

peters

On Moderation
Bus shelter and card only TVM?

There are two card only TVMs on the Manchester bound platform, whether they still work now is another question.

Is the station building something like 150 years old?

The date is/was engraved into the building over the entrance. Wikipedia says the station opened 1st Jan 1863, but it could be 1862 was the date on the building given the station needed to be built before it could open.

If the freight trains are solely responsible then they'll be some issues with other buildings right next to the line as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.