• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not having a railcard

bashoff

hello guys, pls i need your help. i bought a train ticket to london from Luton with a railcard discount but i dont have a rail card. i was approached in the train to provide my railcard, i panicked, i lied and said i forget it at home. so the officer gave me a ticket and said i should upload my railcard within 14 days or i might get a letter served by them. it is getting to a month now and i am yet to get a letter, pls what do i do when i get this letter because i dont want this to get to court.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
hello guys, pls i need your help. i bought a train ticket to london from Luton with a railcard discount but i dont have a rail card. i was approached in the train to provide my railcard, i panicked, i lied and said i forget it at home. so the officer gave me a ticket and said i should upload my railcard within 14 days or i might get a letter served by them. it is getting to a month now and i am yet to get a letter, pls what do i do when i get this letter because i dont want this to get to court.
Welcome to the forum!

Have you replied to the railway at all yet?

If not, then they may still be waiting for you to make a late reply enclosing a copy of your railcard (which, of course, you can't do as you haven't got one).

So you could write to them / send them an email to confirm that you don't actually have a railcard. That will provide them with the information they need to move forward - and it will also show that you are co-operating with them. It would also be sensible to follow the advice that @Hadders gives when someone has received a letter from the railway - you can find it in plenty of other threads but essentially you need to persuade the railway that you know that fare dodging is wrong and you won't do it again. If they're certain that you will pay the right fare in future, then they will probably be happy to settle matters by you paying the train fare you should have paid, plus the costs (maybe £150) that the railway has incurred.

There is one other point you need to know - and that is that the railway may well go through your previous tickets. They may be doing that now, which would be one reason why it's taking them some time to write back to you - but if they find that you have bought a ticket when claiming to have a railcard on other occasions then they may well want you to pay back the costs of those tickets as well.

bashoff

thanks for the great feedback. what if it was a friend who has a railcard that bought the ticket for me. will that have any impact with their decision. because it was actually a friend who has a railcard that bought the ticket. also do i wait for the letter or i should write them. thanks.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
thanks for the great feedback. what if it was a friend who has a railcard that bought the ticket for me. will that have any impact with their decision. because it was actually a friend who has a railcard that bought the ticket. also do i wait for the letter or i should write them. thanks.
It makes no difference, you travelled without a railcard. You should wait for them to write to you.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
A genuine mistake, especially if you have no previous, is likely to count in your favour, although of course it was your responsibility to make sure you had the right ticket. Writing a letter saying how it came about certainly can't do any harm.
Were you travelling with the friend, and he absent-mindedly bought two raicard fares instead of one of each (or didn't think to check whether you had a railcard)

But don't dealay any further - the longer you take to come up with your explanation the more likely they are to think you are making it up. (best of all would be to have come clean when you were first checked, but that ship has sailed)

ikcdab

A genuine mistake, especially if you have no previous, is likely to count in your favour, although of course it was your responsibility to make sure you had the right ticket. Writing a letter saying how it came about certainly can't do any harm.
Were you travelling with the friend, and he absent-mindedly bought two raicard fares instead of one of each (or didn't think to check whether you had a railcard)

But don't dealay any further - the longer you take to come up with your explanation the more likely they are to think you are making it up. (best of all would be to have come clean when you were first checked, but that ship has sailed)
That is not what the OP said in the first post. He said he "bought a train ticket" (not a friend) and then says that when challenged he lied and said he left it at home. If the ticket had been bought by a friend who "accidentally" applied the discount, then that would not be your reaction when challenged. So the OP needs to get his story straight first, then write to the Railway company.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
i bought a train ticket to london from Luton with a railcard discount but i dont have a rail card.

.. what if it was a friend who has a railcard that bought the ticket for me. will that have any impact with their decision.

That is not what the OP said in the first post.
Indeed. Does now seem like the OP is quite possibly road-testing an excuse/explanation/their supposed story. My advice to the OP. Always best to tell the truth!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum!

Clearly you cannot upload a copy of the railcard because you don't have one. What I would do is upload a copy of a short, concise letter saying that you don't possess a railcard, and that you now realise that you were travelling with an invalid ticket. In addition I would mention:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

GTR are normally very reasonable to deal with in situations like this and they will almost certainly offer you an out of court settlement. If you upload a copy of your proposed letter forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.

Don't use this line of excuse. It could get you and possibly your friend into more trouble. Be proactive with GTR and tell them what you've done as this will be the way to obtain the most favourable outcome.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hello guys, please i need your help. I traveled without rail card in march of which i dont have. i just got a letter from thameslink. Kindly find the attached letter and please help on how to write them back. Thank you.
@Hadders has already explained what to write in the post above yours. If you post a draft people will be able to give you feedback here.

bashoff

Welcome to the forum!

Have you replied to the railway at all yet?

If not, then they may still be waiting for you to make a late reply enclosing a copy of your railcard (which, of course, you can't do as you haven't got one).

So you could write to them / send them an email to confirm that you don't actually have a railcard. That will provide them with the information they need to move forward - and it will also show that you are co-operating with them. It would also be sensible to follow the advice that @Hadders gives when someone has received a letter from the railway - you can find it in plenty of other threads but essentially you need to persuade the railway that you know that fare dodging is wrong and you won't do it again. If they're certain that you will pay the right fare in future, then they will probably be happy to settle matters by you paying the train fare you should have paid, plus the costs (maybe £150) that the railway has incurred.

There is one other point you need to know - and that is that the railway may well go through your previous tickets. They may be doing that now, which would be one reason why it's taking them some time to write back to you - but if they find that you have bought a ticket when claiming to have a railcard on other occasions then they may well want you to pay back the costs of those tickets as well.
Hello pls i need your help. i just the letter from thamselink today with thee intention to prosecute. kindly help on how to respond to this letter. thank you

skyhigh

Established Member
Hello pls i need your help. i just the letter from thamselink today with thee intention to prosecute. kindly help on how to respond to this letter. thank you
Read post 9, it tells you how to respond.

bashoff

I am very sorry for what happened, I do not possess a rail card of which I should have informed the officer who approached me, I got very scared and got confused of what to do when I was approached. That was the first and last time I would ever do something like that, I have learnt from what happened not to lie in whatever situation I find myself. I am a very honest person and I have been regretting my action. I am keen to settle this matter without the need for court action also offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company’s administrative cost in dealing with the matter. Thank you.

Thats my draft statement, kindly help with any correction

Brissle Girl

Established Member
You need to break it up into paragraphs. And I think you need to explain why you didn’t have a railcard, else they will think it was deliberate, and the comment about being a very honest person will be treated with some scepticism.

bashoff

You need to break it up into paragraphs. And I think you need to explain why you didn’t have a railcard, else they will think it was deliberate, and the comment about being a very honest person will be treated with some scepticism.

I am writing in regard to an incident that occurred on 20/03/24 during my journey with Thameslink.

I was approached by a Thameslink inspector to provide my train ticket of which I did but I couldn’t provide a rail card because i don't have one.

At the time I was approached by the inspector, I panicked and made an inappropriate decision. That was the first and last time I would ever do something like that, I have learnt from what happened not to lie in whatever situation I find myself. I sincerely regret my action that day and I have not been at peace with myself since that day. I want to offer my deepest apologies for this action of mine.

I want to sincerely apologize to Thameslink; my actions were inexcusable, and I deeply regret any inconvenience it may have caused.

I am keen to settle this matter without the need for Court action, I also offer to pay the outstanding fare and Thameslink administrative cost in dealing with the matter.

Thank you for your understanding and assistance in resolving this matter. I appreciate your time and patience in dealing with the issue.

Last edited:

bashoff

I was approached by a Thameslink inspector to provide my train ticket of which I did but I couldn’t provide a rail card because I don’t have one

At the time I was approached by the inspector, I panicked and made an inappropriate decision. That was the first and last time I would ever do something like that, I have learnt from what happened not to lie in whatever situation I find myself. I sincerely regret my action that day and I have not been at peace with myself since that day. I want to offer my deepest apologies for this action of mine.

I want to sincerely apologize to Thameslink; my actions were inexcusable, and I deeply regret any inconvenience it may have caused.

I am keen to settle this matter without the need for Court action, I also offer to pay the outstanding fare and Thameslink administrative cost in dealing with the matter.

Thank you for your understanding and assistance in resolving this matter. I appreciate your time and patience in dealing with the issue.

kindly view for any correction. Thanks

Brissle Girl

Established Member
If it’s true, I think it is worth mentioning that your friend bought your ticket, along with theirs, and made an assumption that you had a railcard. And you isn’t realise that until stopped.

Obviously if that isn’t the case then you shouldn’t say it.

bashoff

If it’s true, I think it is worth mentioning that your friend bought your ticket, along with theirs, and made an assumption that you had a railcard. And you isn’t realise that until stopped.

Obviously if that isn’t the case then you shouldn’t say it.
ok should i just proceed with the write up then. i have not been myself all day

bashoff

Hi guys pls i need your help to me review an email i want to send to Thameslink and kindly advice for any correction.

i was approached by a Thameslink inspector around march to provide my tickets which i did but i was unable to provide a rail card because i bought a discounted rail card.
The mistake i made was that i lied that i have the railcard at home which i dont.
So i got a mail from them today that they are going to prosecute, and i should write to them back within 14 days and explain what happened.

Hi guys pls i need your help to me review an email i want to send to Thameslink and kindly advice for any correction.

i was approached by a Thameslink inspector around march to provide my tickets which i did but i was unable to provide a rail card because i bought a discounted rail card.
The mistake i made was that i lied that i have the railcard at home which i dont.
So i got a mail from them today that they are going to prosecute, and i should write to them back within 14 days and explain what happened.
Here is my response, kindly help with any correction. Thank you all.

I was approached by a Thameslink inspector to provide my train ticket of which I did but I couldn’t provide a rail card because I don’t have one

kindly view for any correction. Thanks

ikcdab

"...made an inappropriate decision..." To do what?

Do you mean "I made an inappropriate decision and lied about having a Railcard"?