• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not-very-happy situation at Smallbrook Junction

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Have to say I am quite surprised at some of the content in this thread having visited twice in the last three years. Both times the staff were really courteous especially on the one occasion with my father in law in a wheelchair. They helped him in and out at Havenstreet ands put his wheelchair in the brakevan and made us feel welcome.

Smallbrook junction is what it is - a junction for two different railway administrations, with different ideals. BUT surely some communication is required in order to achieve connections IF the connections are valid ones. It does take a minute or two to walk over from the IoWSR platform to be on the SWR platform for the train and vice versa, so pinpoint accuracy might not actually work. BUT isn't it a two train service on the SWR so you shouldn't have to wait more than 30 mins if you miss a very tight connection. Admittedly the station is isolated but I could think of much worse locations to sit and listen to peace and birdsong.

I would expect a joint letter to both railway companies to complain IF any complaint is warranted. Surely SWR should stop to connect with IoWSR trains dependant on timetable in operation. If no other means then a flag flying from a flagpole could indicate to SWR crews when IoWSR trains run on that day. It really isn't rocket science and if SWR are neglecting station calls then they need to be chased up, but I cannot believe it is a significant problem.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E759

This thread is discussing public transports links to the IoWSR. Havenstreet doesn't have a public transport link so is really off-topic.

Taking today 29 May 2023 as an example, the last scheduled IoWSR trains arrives Smallbrook Junction 15:56 and the last Island Line Ryde train departs 16:16. If you wait "30 minutes" for the next Ryde train it will not stop unless control gives the driver a stop order.

Taking 24 June 2023 as an example, the last scheduled IoWSR trains arrives Smallbrook Junction 19:35 and the last Island Line Ryde train departs 16:03. Maybe the Island Line timetable will change between now and 24 June but who knows?

Gloster

Established Member
Taking 24 June 2023 as an example, the last scheduled IoWSR trains arrives Smallbrook Junction 19:35 and the last Island Line Ryde train departs 16:03. Maybe the Island Line timetable will change between now and 24 June but who knows?

They may have got Ryde Pier open to trains by then and might change the timetable when this happens. On the other hand, they may not have got the Pier open: they ain’t sayin’ nuffin’.

Brompton Blue

As a recent visitor to the IoWSR I’d like to share my experience. Having booked a short break in Shanklin starting on Sunday 25th June I noticed that IoWSR were holding their Spring gala, and arranged my journey to take that in. Had everything gone to plan I would have got to Smallbrook Junction around 1pm, but unfortunately I didn’t get there till around 3pm as my train from Waterloo was over 90mins late and eventually terminated at Fratton due to staffing issues, but that’s another story. On arriving at Smallbrook the ticket man said he could not issue me with a ticket but instead gave me a card on which he wrote my online booking ref, which he said I could exchange for a ticket at Havenstreet. As IoWSR trains were running around 30 mins late I had a bit of a wait, but eventually got to Havenstreet around 4pm. The ticket office was closed, so I couldn’t obtain a proper ticket, but did a tour of the sheds. I found the museum (Train Story Discovery Experience) closed but persuaded the man on the door to let me in, regaling him with stories of last travelling behind O2s in 1967. When the O2 arrived, with original bogie stock, from Wootton with the final train of the day I made my way to the platform planning to make a round trip back to Smallbrook and return to Wootton where I would catch the no.9 bus. I didn’t want to risk alighting a Smallbrook as the timetable showed that last Wight Rail train to stop there had gone. On entering the platform I was met by an army of uniformed staff and asked to show a ticket. When I explained I’d booked online and produced the card given to me at Smallbrook the ticket man said that wouldn’t do as a needed to exchange it for a proper ticket. After pointing out the ticket office was shut when I arrived two hours earlier and I was running two hours late due to SW Trains he relented and let me on. I went to the back of the train as that would become the coach immediately behind the O2 after reversal at Smallbrook only to find the guards were locking all the doors. I therefore had to board in the middle of the train where I was joined by a young couple. Catching their conversation I learned that IoWSR had contacted the control room at Basingstoke to request the stopping of two extra Wight Rail trains at Smallbrook due to the late running of gala trains. Despite this I stuck to my original plan of returning to Wootton so as to enjoy a journey over the length of the line behind an 02 in stock I remembered from the 60s.

I don’t know what attendances were like on previous days but the trains I travelled on from mid afternoon on the Sunday were lightly loaded and staff appeared to outnumber passengers. Having attractions, like the museum shut down early and coaches locked and taken out of use before the event closed is not something I’ve encountered at other galas, such as the recent WSR Diesel gala. Having read other posts on this thread I have to share the view that IoWSR appears to be more orientated towards tourists arriving by road than enthusiasts arriving by rail.

It was good to travel behind an O2 again, and the day was worth it just for that, despite all the setbacks.

E759

There have been almost daily cancellations on Island Line for weeks now. Bus to Wootton is the best option atm.

wellhouse

A small group of us had a disappointment a few weeks ago.

Three of us travelled from the mainland, joining IOWSR at Smallbrook Junction, where we met a local friend who had parked at Haven Street. We exchanged our email reservation for tickets at the booking office, where we were advised not to worry about our separately reserved seats, as we could all go together on one of the unreserved compartments. At this point, we were helpfully(?)given a printed timetable, which didn't quite correspond with the itenerary I had planned a few weeks earlier, having used the timetable on the IOWSR website.

We travelled to Wootton, where, after a pub lunch, we had planned to return to Haven Street on the 1334 departure, and after exploring there we would return to Smallbrook Junction at 1435. My mates had a bit of a laugh at my expense, as the printed timetable showed the Wootton departure as 1342. Only 8 minutes difference, but enough for us to miss the train, as it was not running to the timetable given us that morning after all, but to the online version.

We took the bus to Wootton, and rejoined The Island Line for a trip to Shanklin as we had always planned, and our local chum was able to return from Smallbrook Junction to collect his car from Haven Street. The rest of us missed our return IOWSR journey and the Haven Street visit.

It's a mystery why there should have been such a minor amendment to the schedule, but more to the point, why we were given a printed timetable with inaccurate times.

There have been almost daily cancellations on Island Line for weeks now. Bus to Wootton is the best option atm.
Using the train can be quicker but the bus is more reliable. The replacement trains are more comfortable than their predecessors and the rail corrugations have disappeared.

However, Southern Vectis are excellent bus operators and visitors have a genuine choice.

Calthrop

Established Member
Reviving this thread; re another tale of a certain (admittedly smallish) amount of woe -- of a different kind -- in recent dealings with Smallbrook Junction. I was there again on August 22nd -- a brief call-in on the Island's railway scene; on this Wight visit, most of my attention was on other things. Travelled on the Steam Railway from Wootton (reached by bus from Newport) to Smallbrook Junction, arriving there 1256. Per the published Island Line timetable, connecting services were 1320 southbound, and 1330 northbound: my intention was to get the 1330 to Ryde Esplanade. There were three passengers off the Steam Railway's 1256 arrival, seeking to continue their journey by Island Line: myself; and a couple who needed to get to Brading, where they had left their car. No Island Line service showed up at either of the published times; Steam Railway staff confirmed that the Island Line had been running trouble-free during the morning. The couple felt, understandably, a bit bothered -- said that if a northbound IL train happened to show up first, they would catch that to Ryde, then seek the next one south again.

As things worked out, first Island Line happening was a northbound train, getting to Smallbrook at 1338. I made a hand signal, it stopped, and I got on: intent on this, I didn't actually see what the couple did. On to Ryde St. John's Road, arriving 1342; then a prolonged halt there. The lady conductor / guard had disembarked there; she returned to the train after a few minutes, apologised to the passengers, and told of an operational "hiccup" having occurred: the train would travel onward at 1405, but would terminate at Esplanade, not Pier Head. I reckoned on fitting in with that -- saw no alternative giving a better, or equivalent, deal. We duly left for Esplanade, in fact at 1406; all passengers of course disembarked there. Shortly before we left St. John's Road, a southbound train arrived there, halted briefly, and departed once more. One wonders how the couple fared; and whether they were able to make their described plan, work.

The unhappy Island Line does seem at the present time, to be beset with ongoing troubles. At St. John's Road, I approached the conductor / guard re paying to her my fare for my journey; she declined to accept it, saying that in view of the mess-up and general inconvenience, she didn't think it fair to charge me. Considerate of her... but...

Invincible

What are you thinking it was? (hint, it wasn't)
Realtime trains or the SWR website do not give a reason for the problems midday 22nd.
Since then looks like Island line trains have run to time. But no trains 1Sept due to industrial action.

The Island Line is affected by ASLEF industrial action as on 1 September but not by RMT strikes as on 2 September. The RMT did not get the minimum 40% of those eligible voting yes for strike action on the Island Line.
Are you prepared to take strike action?
Number of individuals who were entitled to vote in the ballot:38
Number of votes cast in the ballot:21
Number of individuals answering “Yes” to the question:14
Number of individuals answering “No” to the question:6
Number of spoiled or otherwise invalid voting papers returned:1
Are you prepared to take industrial action short of a strike?
Number of individuals who were entitled to vote in the ballot:38
Number of votes cast in the ballot:21
Number of individuals answering “Yes” to the question:17
Number of individuals answering “No” to the question:4
Number of spoiled or otherwise invalid voting papers returned:0

There is still a 20mph speed restriction at the Pig Leg level crossing between Ryde St Johns Road and Smallbrook Junction, very noticeable when travelling on the train between these two stations. The normal line speed is 45mph (20 metres per second). This must be adding about a minute each way to the journey time which must make it considerably more difficult for the trains to keep to the timetable. This speed restriction has been in place for over a year. It needs to be lifted as soon as possible.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Reviving this thread; re another tale of a certain (admittedly smallish) amount of woe -- of a different kind -- in recent dealings with Smallbrook Junction. I was there again on August 22nd -- a brief call-in on the Island's railway scene; on this Wight visit, most of my attention was on other things. Travelled on the Steam Railway from Wootton (reached by bus from Newport) to Smallbrook Junction, arriving there 1256. Per the published Island Line timetable, connecting services were 1320 southbound, and 1330 northbound: my intention was to get the 1330 to Ryde Esplanade. There were three passengers off the Steam Railway's 1256 arrival, seeking to continue their journey by Island Line: myself; and a couple who needed to get to Brading, where they had left their car. No Island Line service showed up at either of the published times; Steam Railway staff confirmed that the Island Line had been running trouble-free during the morning. The couple felt, understandably, a bit bothered -- said that if a northbound IL train happened to show up first, they would catch that to Ryde, then seek the next one south again.

As things worked out, first Island Line happening was a northbound train, getting to Smallbrook at 1338. I made a hand signal, it stopped, and I got on: intent on this, I didn't actually see what the couple did. On to Ryde St. John's Road, arriving 1342; then a prolonged halt there. The lady conductor / guard had disembarked there; she returned to the train after a few minutes, apologised to the passengers, and told of an operational "hiccup" having occurred: the train would travel onward at 1405, but would terminate at Esplanade, not Pier Head. I reckoned on fitting in with that -- saw no alternative giving a better, or equivalent, deal. We duly left for Esplanade, in fact at 1406; all passengers of course disembarked there. Shortly before we left St. John's Road, a southbound train arrived there, halted briefly, and departed once more. One wonders how the couple fared; and whether they were able to make their described plan, work.

The unhappy Island Line does seem at the present time, to be beset with ongoing troubles. At St. John's Road, I approached the conductor / guard re paying to her my fare for my journey; she declined to accept it, saying that in view of the mess-up and general inconvenience, she didn't think it fair to charge me. Considerate of her... but...
Did you say this was all on 22nd? The 1320 appears cancelled due to an error by infrastructure maintenance staff.

However it is curious that the 1330 only arrived at 1338, then waited at St John's Road to form the next departure (as the 1406 indeed only goes as far as Esplanade). I think I know what went on here but do you per chance recall what unit that was please (so I can prod my contact to look into it as a few things look like needing correcting).

As to anyone wondering what they should do if the last booked call at Smallbrook is cancelled. Please use the help point. A Special Stop Order will be arranged on the next train as no passenger should be left stranded there (for obvious reasons).

Calthrop

Established Member
Did you say this was all on 22nd? The 1320 appears cancelled due to an error by infrastructure maintenance staff.
This indeed all took place on Aug. 22nd, within the space of a bit more than an hour.

However it is curious that the 1330 only arrived at 1338, then waited at St John's Road to form the next departure (as the 1406 indeed only goes as far as Esplanade). I think I know what went on here but do you per chance recall what unit that was please (so I can prod my contact to look into it as a few things look like needing correcting).
I fear that I'm the "head-in-clouds-sentimentalist" type of enthusiast -- highly ignorant about matters technical / class-and-type-related / numbers-related, especially re non-steam equipment. Am able only to say that the "1330 / 1338" was a two-car EMU-type thingy ... !

As to anyone wondering what they should do if the last booked call at Smallbrook is cancelled. Please use the help point. A Special Stop Order will be arranged on the next train as no passenger should be left stranded there (for obvious reasons).
Concerning my account of "antics" on April 18th this year, re that day's last Steam Railway working serving Smallbrook Junction -- that account by me, the OP of this thread: it seems a pity that the Steam Railway staff -- rather than (as in fact took place) essentially forbidding passengers from trying to make a connection with the Island Line at the Junction -- didn't inform such passengers about the help point. As mentioned in the thread's discussion about the April 18th incident: the doings then, would suggest a degree of duplicity on the part of the Steam Railway and those working on it (normally I am highly pro-"it and them"), which leaves something of an unpleasant taste in the mouth.

This indeed all took place on Aug. 22nd, within the space of a bit more than an hour.

I fear that I'm the "head-in-clouds-sentimentalist" type of enthusiast -- highly ignorant about matters technical / class-and-type-related / numbers-related, especially re non-steam equipment. Am able only to say that the "1330 / 1338" was a two-car EMU-type thingy ... !

Concerning my account of "antics" on April 18th this year, re that day's last Steam Railway working serving Smallbrook Junction -- that account by me, the OP of this thread: it seems a pity that the Steam Railway staff -- rather than (as in fact took place) essentially forbidding passengers from trying to make a connection with the Island Line at the Junction -- didn't inform such passengers about the help point. As mentioned in the thread's discussion about the April 18th incident: the doings then, would suggest a degree of duplicity on the part of the Steam Railway and those working on it (2D I am highly pro-"it and them"), which leaves something of an unpleasant taste in the mouth.
"Duplicity"? Where do you get that from. It's called being helpful to avoid people being stranded by non-observance of the timetable which has happened to me. Once was enough of that!
Just take the train to Wootton where there are three buses per hour which never fail to stop.

Gloster

Established Member
"Duplicity"? Where do you get that from. It's called being helpful to avoid people being stranded by non-observance of the timetable which has happened to me. Once was enough of that!
Just take the train to Wootton where there are three buses per hour which never fail to stop.

Wrong. I was on a Newport-Ryde via Staplers one last Sunday that was so crowded that it missed several stops, including the Steam Railway where there was somebody waiting. But that is rare. (And it is two an hour on Sundays.)

Wrong. I was on a Newport-Ryde via Staplers one last Sunday that was so crowded that it missed several stops, including the Steam Railway where there was somebody waiting. But that is rare. (And it is two an hour on Sundays.)

Overloading is illegal. Just failing to honour timetables is unforgivable.

Calthrop

Established Member

(My bolding) -- see posts #14, #28, #36, #56.

paul1609

Established Member
I'm not a regular visitor to the Iowsr but the last time I visited it took me about an hour to walk from Haven Street to the Wetherspoons in the middle of Ryde about 3 miles? The whole railway really isn't in the middle of nowhere. I imagine a taxi would give you change from a tenner.

Gloster

Established Member
I'm not a regular visitor to the Iowsr but the last time I visited it took me about an hour to walk from Haven Street to the Wetherspoons in the middle of Ryde about 3 miles? The whole railway really isn't in the middle of nowhere. I imagine a taxi would give you change from a tenner.

The 37 serves the top end of Haven Street, so you only need to walk through the village. The bus is hourly Monday-Saturday, with one afternoon bus not going right back into centre of Ryde on Monday-Friday.

James H

from an SWR press release issued today about funding for community projects across the network
  • Improving facilities at Smallbrook Junction on the Isle of Wight, for passengers connecting between the Island Line and the Isle of Wight Steam Railway, including Customer Information Screens and power and lighting using solar power and biodiesel. SWR is contributing £46,000.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Diesel powered screens?

Presumably this means they will have a generator to accompany the solar power rather than have them wired in?

E759

Was keen to try the Emergency Phone at Smallbrook Junction so travelled from Horsham Thursday 7th September. Late afternoon at Havenstreet staff advised the last two Island Line trains at Smallbrook Junction (16:03 to Esplanade and 16:21 to Shanklin had again been cancelled). Took the 15:45 to Smallbrook Junction to watch the station lockup procedure - no access to the NR platform to play with their Chocolate Teapot AKA Emergency Phone - then back to Wootton arriving 16:25. 16:42 No 9 bus to Esplanade then the next Wightlink FastCat at 17:45 one hour later than planned. Have submitted a 60-119 minute Delay Repay to SWR.

Staff on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway proactively advised their customers of Island Line train cancellations and provided assistance to those in need of travel advice. On the Big Railway I belatedly saw the IL cancellations on the Unofficial Island Line X account. No travel advice given for SAB customers. The Big Railway really do do Playing with Their Trainset really well.

A note on train boarding procedures at Havenstreet: As I was on the Railway all day I watched the Cat Herding in action. Full marks to the Steam Railway staff who do an excellent job dealing with customers unfamiliar with the new fangled railway thingies.

A note on booking and quotas: You now book one train you intend to ride for one full journey and are given a seat reservation in an allocated compartment or saloon. For your other journeys you travel in an unreserved compartment or saloon. In practise this worked extremely well and again the staff do a great job ensuring everyone is happy.

A note on through tickets: As usual there were a good number of people travelling on Island Line to Smallbrook Junction from both ends of the line. The majority held Island Line through tickets. [I assume they were allocated unreserved compartments or saloons.]

Anyone put off by the Island Line Cluster Fudge, what happened the millions of pounds spent on the so called upgrade?, just use the no. 9 bus. At Esplanade there is a travel centre where the bus staff will tell you where and when to board the bus for Wootton (as already noted upthread you need the via Staplers Newport route). Buses are contactless tap on (driver terminal) and tap off (pad just before the door to exit) if you're just making that journey (otherwise there are 24 hour Rover tickets which cover the Island).

Invincible

the Island Line Cluster Fudge, what happened the millions of pounds spent on the so called upgrade?,

From RTT website looks like there was a "problem with the train crew" rather than Island line trains.
Restored later, perhaps they had to call in another crew person?

Last edited:

Chris125

Established Member
There is still a 20mph speed restriction at the Pig Leg level crossing between Ryde St Johns Road and Smallbrook Junction, very noticeable when travelling on the train between these two stations. The normal line speed is 45mph (20 metres per second). This must be adding about a minute each way to the journey time which must make it considerably more difficult for the trains to keep to the timetable. This speed restriction has been in place for over a year. It needs to be lifted as soon as possible.

Pig Leg Lane needs crossing lights installed, but while most preparatory work was completed some time ago the equipment itself hasn't been fitted - not enough money?