• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notice Number

elo88

I am asking for help i want to appeal for a penalty that i was given in the train, but i don't see the notice number on the slip that i was given. Is there anyone who would like to help me by telling me where on the slip it is?

Attachments

• IMG-20240430-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20240430-WA0000.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 135
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gray1404

Established Member
That notice also doesn't say expressly that that penalty is reduced to £50 if paid promptly.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I am asking for help i want to appeal for a penalty that i was given in the train, but i don't see the notice number on the slip that i was given. Is there anyone who would like to help me by telling me where on the slip it is?
If you want to give a bit more background as to what happened, experts on Penalty Fares on the forum can probably give you an idea of how likely an Appeal is to succeed, if that is of help to you.

Titfield

Established Member
PF520985

elo88

If you want to give a bit more background as to what happened, experts on Penalty Fares on the forum can probably give you an idea of how likely an Appeal is to succeed, if that is of help to you.
I short
I did not manage to produce my ticket... reason why I could not produce the travel ticket, my phone had switched off and I didn't have a charger with me.
Attached are the tickets which i purchased bfo...
Wanna thank everyone who is participating .

Attachments

• IMG-20240428-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20240428-WA0008.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG-20240428-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240428-WA0007.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 59

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I short
I did not manage to produce my ticket... reason why I could not produce the travel ticket, my phone had switched off and I didn't have a charger with me.
On what grounds are you wanting to appeal?

skyhigh

Established Member
Being unable to show your ticket because the battery on your phone was flat is a valid reason for a Penalty Fare to be issued. You may be able to appeal on a technical grounds (for example around signage) but I think that's about it.

Looking at it - the Penalty Fare was issued at 15.00 "on train" for a journey between Sandwell and Dudley and Wolverhampton. Your Advance Single was for the 14.30 train which arrived at Wolverhampton on time at 14.39 - so if the PF was issued on a train between Sandwell and Wolverhampton at 15.00 the ticket you held but couldn't show wasn't valid for that service anyway.

What train did you actually catch? If you were on a train that still had stops before Wolverhampton you may have grounds for appeal on the the destination the PF was issued to.

jfollows

Established Member
The Conditions of Travel at https://assets.nationalrail.co.uk/e...3/National_Rail_Conditions_of_Travel_2024.pdf state:
9.2 If you are unable to present a valid Ticket when asked and the conditions set out in Condition 6 do not apply, we are permitted in law to take one of the following measures:
9.2.1 To charge you the full undiscounted “anytime” single fare to a station directly served by the train that you are on. You will not be entitled to any discounts or special terms, or to a Ticket to a station other than one served by the train that you are on; or
9.2.2 To charge you a Penalty Fare on certain trains and stations (see Condition 10 below); or
9.2.3 To report you for prosecution.
Unfortunately, this appears to be the reason for the Penalty Fare you have been charged.

JBuchananGB

It would also appear that if you were on a train at 1500 heading to Wolverhampton, you would also have missed the 1449 from Wolverhampton. Did you buy a new ticket for that leg of the journey?

WesternLancer

Established Member
I short
As I understand it for an Appeal to be successful it has to be based on the grounds for Appealing set out in the Penalty Frae (PF) regulations (ie the PF was not correctly issued or was not issued for a valid grounds in the regs) - having a ticket that you bought but could not show is not one of those grounds). So an appeal is not based on eg 'this is unfair as I actually bought a ticket which I had on my phone and there was nowhere to charge my phone on the train so that I could show it'.

Having said that there can be other reasons to appeal eg
- creates a bit of time to save up to pay the Penalty whilst the Appeal goes through the process
- prevents future risk of prosecution for not being able ot show a valid ticket (which if you were on a train that your ticket was not valid for travel on anyway could in theory open you to the risk of - tho I think in reality that is pretty unlikely)

The 50% prompt payment discount of the £100 penalty is 'paused' if you submit an appeal whilst the appeal is considered, but be sure not to miss the response to the Appeal from the appeals body (eg if it goes to your spam e-mail).