• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Notre Dame de Lorette - metro accident 30/08/2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnkleBoots

I have just seen that a Paris metro accident happened 20 years ago at Notre Dame de Lorette.

From what I have been able to find online, speed seems to have been the reason, travelling at 70km/h. Is this something that could happen today?

Twenty-four people were injured yesterday when the front carriage of a Paris Métro train toppled over as it approached a station.

The carriage fell on to its side on the neighbouring track just short of a train that had stopped in the station. The cause of the crash, the most serious on the Metro for 19 years, was uncertain last night.

The head of the state-owned Paris transport company, the RATP, said three possibilities were being examined: excessive speed by the driver; defective track, or some form of fault in the wheels of the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I have just seen that a Paris metro accident happened 20 years ago at Notre Dame de Lorette.

From what I have been able to find online, speed seems to have been the reason, travelling at 70km/h. Is this something that could happen today?

There is a sharp curve with a 30km/h restriction preceded by a 40 restriction. The train was estimated to have been travelling at 66-69 at point of derailment.

It seems there was a sort of automatic speed system but it was disabled in the vicinity of the accident site for some weeks prior to the derailment and so the driver was driving fully manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.