• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

Trainman40083

Only because Derby could probably make better use of such facilities, now and in the future. Kinchbus has relatively little work other than their Skylink.
Maybe East Midlands Combined Authority plans for franchising in Notts/Derbys plays a part in the decision making

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
Only because Derby could probably make better use of such facilities, now and in the future. Kinchbus has relatively little work other than their Skylink.
Does Derby have enough space to take on the Skylink service though?

Trainman40083

Does Derby have enough space to take on the Skylink service though?
Would depend where you put a depot. The ZEBRA bid suggested a facility for the production of hydrogen etc. But there were said to be no plans to move from Meadow Road. Just think of all the dead mileage, as the bid covered all Skylink services and Sixes.

Trainman40083

Their usual shortage, and turnover, of staff, would probably resolve that fairly quickly !
Come on, play fair. Include "we ain't got no parts"... I did think it was ace when the Wellglade agent said "we just don't have enough buses to run all our services". Everyone else already knows. Wellglade solution "let's run more services!!"

adrianjohnson

Would depend where you put a depot. The ZEBRA bid suggested a facility for the production of hydrogen etc. But there were said to be no plans to move from Meadow Road. Just think of all the dead mileage, as the bid covered all Skylink services and Sixes.
I thought they wanted to move from Meadow Road and had bought land somewhere else (the land they used to park buses during the recent flooding)? (Derby bus depot looking to move to new city location)

Andyh82

Established Member
I understood moving to Stores Road would involve a significant cost of dead mileage. I doubt many drivers would be keen to walk from the bus station to there.
It’s only about half a mile away from the current depot, and still closer to the city centre than Arriva’s depot is

Trainman40083

It’s only about half a mile away from the current depot, and still closer to the city centre than Arriva’s depot is
But maybe not as accessible. I would think buses would have to go North to Mansfield Road to get back, although could turn off just after the Pentagon. But even 1/2mile for buses based there, every day for a year would add up.

joieman

Ironically, it was Trentbarton that spared me from being stranded in Coalville tonight after the 16:45 Arriva 16 to Loughborough failed to show up at Memorial Square.

Trainman40083

Ironically, it was Trentbarton that spared me from being stranded in Coalville tonight after the 16:45 Arriva 16 to Loughborough failed to show up at Memorial Square.
Bustimes suggests Arriva 3794 worked it. Looking at tracking shows it coming towards Coalville circa 17.13 (maybe from the depot Thurmaston?) and turning off and tracking around the car dealership, missing out Memorial Square

joieman

Bustimes suggests Arriva 3794 worked it. Looking at tracking shows it coming towards Coalville circa 17.13 (maybe from the depot Thurmaston?) and turning off and tracking around the car dealership, missing out Memorial Square
Exactly. It looks as if 4531 suffered some kind of fault on its previous run to Loughborough, then went all the way down to Thurmaston where it was swapped for 3794, which started on Whitwick Road instead of at Memorial Square where I and a bunch of elderly folks were waiting. I had to take the Skylink to Shepshed and then the 127 from there to Loughborough, thus doubling my return fare. We passed 3794 in Thringstone but at this point it offered no advantage over my emergency commute plan!

SCH117X

Established Member
TrentBartons issue may be more vehicular than driver availability but the quality of their drivers is another matter judging by the ridiculously close pass of a cyclist (whose riding before hand admittably was not good) at 2:20 and the failure to obey traffic lights at 3:23 in this youtube compliation

tram21

TrentBartons issue may be more vehicular than driver availability but the quality of their drivers is another matter judging by the ridiculously close pass of a cyclist (whose riding before hand admittably was not good) at 2:20 and the failure to obey traffic lights at 3:23 in this youtube compliation
Let's not get onto their driving safety :lol:

Just get on a trentbarton bus past 6pm and I can almost guarantee they'll be going double the speed limit (especially on the Skylink)

In all seriousness though I don't know if the company don't know or don't care because it can be a big problem.

Cesarcollie

Have you tried passing details to the company? You cannot make the assumption the company condones bad driving, or all their drivers are like it, based on the actions of one individual or a small number.

derbybusdepot

To be fair, I don't think they were aware of the bike, and can see why, as wouldn't expect it to just appear there.

The red light is careless, but if for whatever reason they noticed red light too late, stopping very harshly could have been more dangerous.

I'm sure there are numerous videos online of near misses, and poor driving, as dash cams are everywhere. It doesn't mean all, or the majority of drivers drive like this most of the time though!

Whilst you have the human element, and potentially added stresses of keeping to time, and passenger complaints,mistakes can always happen.

You could argue driving standards could be affected greatly by the vehicle issues. Buses missing, results in the next one running late, dealing with more passengers that are annoyed etc.

SCH117X

Established Member
To be fair, I don't think they were aware of the bike, and can see why, as wouldn't expect it to just appear there.
The bike is in front of the bus from 2:13. On a totally separate issue what the video does show is that is a junction whereby a separate cycle route is needed as has been provided at newer junctions.
Have you tried passing details to the company? You cannot make the assumption the company condones bad driving, or all their drivers are like it, based on the actions of one individual or a small number.
Its not my compilation and there is no date given - that is something for the videos owner to do

derbybusdepot

The bike is in front of the bus from 2:13. On a totally separate issue what the video does show is that is a junction whereby a separate cycle route is needed as has been provided at newer junctions.

Its not my compilation and there is no date given - that is something for the videos owner to do
The video seems to imply the cyclist is in the wrong. Hard to tell from the angle but looks as though they cut in front of the van straight into bus drivers blind spot. Certainly a dangerous spot to put yourself in regardless.

Appears to be a shortage of buses on red arrow again today, aswell as H1 and Ilkeston flyer - not only Derby affected by "bus availability". There appears to only be 1 branded vehicle on H1.

Established Member
The video seems to imply the cyclist is in the wrong. Hard to tell from the angle but looks as though they cut in front of the van straight into bus drivers blind spot. Certainly a dangerous spot to put yourself in regardless.

Appears to be a shortage of buses on red arrow again today, aswell as H1 and Ilkeston flyer - not only Derby affected by "bus availability". There appears to only be 1 branded vehicle on H1.
When I looked earlier the villager only had 2 out of the 5 buses out and they were running half an hour apart leaving a 2 hour gap. Looks as though in the last hour the other 3 have come out with one tracking as coach 80.

SCH117X

Established Member
The video is wrong, Highway Code rule 186: "Cyclists, horse riders and horse drawn vehicles may stay in the left-hand lane when they intend to continue across or around the roundabout and should signal right to show you they are not leaving the roundabout. Drivers should take extra care when entering a roundabout to ensure that they do not cut across cyclists, horse riders or horse drawn vehicles in the left-hand lane, who are continuing around the roundabout."

What is not clear from the video is whether the cyclist did indicate right at any point and but even if they did I bet 95% of motorists would be oblivious to the above rule. Certainly as a cyclist having been in a similar situation rather than hoping a vehicle (the van in this instanvce) avoids me I have taken the exit, stopped and turned round. The onus in the Highway Code is for the driver of that vehicle to proceed with care to the cyclist as a vunerable road user

Trainman40083

When I looked earlier the villager only had 2 out of the 5 buses out and they were running half an hour apart leaving a 2 hour gap. Looks as though in the last hour the other 3 have come out with one tracking as coach 80.
The bus tracking as coach 80 is Solo SR 499.

tram21

For the first time in a very long time, there are 8 buses on the Red Arrow, a full service!

After a rocky start this morning it's been a good day for trentbarton and Kinchbus in terms of Service availability!

joieman

For the first time in a very long time, there are 8 buses on the Red Arrow, a full service!

After a rocky start this morning it's been a good day for trentbarton and Kinchbus in terms of Service availability!
That's because Kinchbus can pull more buses off the Sprint on weekends, and once Monday comes around again so do the cancellations on the town services.

In Loughborough town centre yesterday I noticed that certain departures were now showing CAN on the destination screen at Fennel Street, presumably indicating that those departures were cancelled as they were not tracking on Bustimes.

Trainman40083

For one moment, I thought you actually meant 8 buses i.e. no coaches. Let us hope other routes did not need those single deckers. I guess the real challenge would be 8 coaches, that most passengers expect on a premium service

That's because Kinchbus can pull more buses off the Sprint on weekends, and once Monday comes around again so do the cancellations on the town services.

In Loughborough town centre yesterday I noticed that certain departures were now showing CAN on the destination screen at Fennel Street, presumably indicating that those departures were cancelled as they were not tracking on Bustimes.
Not sure the Trentbarton H1 was good. But they brought in 216 to help

The bus tracking as coach 80 is Solo SR 499.
Just to be clear fleet number 80 is a Red Arrow coach.. The ticket machine is being used in Solo SR 499. Is the person who is trying to change the detail for 80 to that of 499 on bustimes, mad?

Last edited:

Established Member
For one moment, I thought you actually meant 8 buses i.e. no coaches. Let us hope other routes did not need those single deckers. I guess the real challenge would be 8 coaches, that most passengers expect on a premium service

Not sure the Trentbarton H1 was good. But they brought in 216 to help

Just to be clear fleet number 80 is a Red Arrow coach.. The ticket machine is being used in Solo SR 499. Is the person who is trying to change the detail for 80 to that of 499 on bustimes, mad?
Not the first time. 462 and I think 740 has been edited before when 499 was tracking as them!

SSmith2009

Noticed that a few times in Leicester it sometimes shows as CANC for arriva services too which checked against their app also shows cancelled.

joieman

I'm sure there are numerous videos online of near misses, and poor driving, as dash cams are everywhere. It doesn't mean all, or the majority of drivers drive like this most of the time though!
Of course, the video would be pretty boring if it was about all the people who are driving sensibly!