• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The one I got is only slim, about 4 inches long. Even available in the pound shops !
I was getting slightly worried when I first read that!!

Point taken - I'm just hopeless at remembering things and like to travel light. I guess the battery thing is the main downside of any kind of e-ticket etc.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Do you not carry any other charging unit with you ?
I do not carry a portable charger no as its another thing to carry, they can be slow and they also need charging.

I do sometimes carry a USB charger if think I'll need it but given 1/2 the time USB chargers don't work, you still end up with a dead phone and no way home.

I have also had the email and won't be using the Mango app. There will be a big slow down in journey times as a result in a big increase in cash fares being paid.
There are two further possibilities:
1) They will realise they are handling more cash and slowing down journey times and will eventually introduce a new card system OR
2) A new card system is already lined up in the background but they want the MAXIMUM number of people using the app before they consider introducing the card to try and keep long term costs down.
Just my thoughts........

ChrisC

Established Member
I would hope, however, that they invest in some Ticketer "touch out" boxes to replace the init versions, as it's silly having to touch out a contactless card with the driver which only slows the service down - defeating the object of paying that way in the first place!

It’s going to really slow things down if everyone using the Mango app on their phones have to touch out on the drivers machine. I found it difficult enough with a card on the old machines when I also had lots of luggage to carry. Anyone with luggage or lots of shopping bags to carry will really delay the bus if they have to get their luggage to the front and then have to get out their phone and use the app to touch out.

cnjb8

Established Member
Skills Coaches are operating extra school services for First Leicester!

And Hulleys of Baslow have purchased ADL E400 LK09 EKU from Metroline.

Last edited:

Boo_

On Moderation
North western which began running the 236 (Ashton-Glossop) using a pair of Darts has already run into difficulties as GB coaches has ran out of money and have stopped operating as the route was commercial service with no direct financial subsidy from DCC.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
At 430pm today a Skills Coaches with 'First Leicester Service 823' signs on display, passed me in Nuthall, presumably heading off M1 en route to depot.
I think the 8xx number relates to the contract number rather than the route they are physically operating. One I saw had several conflicting signs in the windscreen and nearside window.

chessie

Hulleys of Baslow must be about the most innovative thinking independent bus company at the moment, something I thought I would never say...they have just introduced a Sheffield to Manchester route now!! It could work if the price is right, judging by the loadings on trains in more normal times and not so different timings of the slow train either https://www.facebook.com/hulleys1921/photos/pcb.10158463979894876/10158463973034876/

Last edited:

Llandudno

Established Member
Hulleys of Baslow must be about the most innovate thinking independent bus company at the moment, something I thought I would never say...they have just introduced a Sheffield to Manchester route now!! It could work if the price is right, judging by the loadings on trains in more normal times and not so different timings of the slow train https://www.facebook.com/hulleys1921/photos/pcb.10158463979894876/10158463973034876/
Yep, a fantastic and innovative new service including late night Friday and Saturday journeys with a 2345 bus ex Manchester.

Fares seem good value including discounts for ALL (except Family & Friends) railcard holders. Should be very popular with students looking at the routing out of Sheffield.

Running times into Manchester at peak times look decidedly tight though.

Will Hulleys be the only company running buses from Glossop all the way into Manchester?
Might do well with ECNTs pass holders!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hulleys of Baslow must be about the most innovative thinking independent bus company at the moment, something I thought I would never say...they have just introduced a Sheffield to Manchester route now!! It could work if the price is right, judging by the loadings on trains in more normal times and not so different timings of the slow train either https://www.facebook.com/hulleys1921/photos/pcb.10158463979894876/10158463973034876/

Perhaps they could even put something about it onto their website. Seems an odd place to have nothing about it - no timetable, no announcement (and nothing to say their Day Hoppa at £6.30 isn't valid on it).

Flange Squeal

Established Member
North western which began running the 236 (Ashton-Glossop) using a pair of Darts has already run into difficulties as GB coaches has ran out of money and have stopped operating as the route was commercial service with no direct financial subsidy from DCC.

The two Darts are now for sale...

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Nottingham City Transport 994 was reported to have suffered a fire at Plains Estate on Monday evening. I dont know the extent of the damage though.

M60lad

I'm planning a trip on Derby-Leicester Skyline service shortly, do this service still get Citaroes or are all journies now in the hands of the new MMC200s?

Established Member
I'm planning a trip on Derby-Leicester Skyline service shortly, do this service still get Citaroes or are all journies now in the hands of the new MMC200s?
Most journeys seem to be in the hands of E200 mmcs. I think the 3 younger citaros are still in service and as almost always a scania was out last Friday.

Amazed to see that Trenbarton are still selling physical Mango cards - despite them finishing next month - and it appears selling them without making users aware they aren't valid on the Rainbow One!!

Centrebus restored the full timetable on route 19 from today with the addition of the missing late morning/lunchtime journey (the 11.45 ex Melton & 12.35 ex Nottingham), though they still don't run on Saturdays. The 09.45 ex Melton & 10.35 ex Nottingham both now run 20minutes later but are unchanged on Saturdays.

Trent are restoring the Loughborough section of the Nottingham Skylink from the 28th September. Their website states they are 'nearly at 100% of pre-covid levels'. Really? As far as I know The Comet, Ilkeston Flyer, Hucknall Connect & The Keyworth are all still operating at reduced levels. The 6.0 hasn't restarted. While all those routes are running there are no Sunday buses still on two of them and reduced weekday frequencies on all of them!

Last edited:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Amazed to see that Trenbarton are still selling physical Mango cards - despite them finishing next month - and it appears selling them without making users aware they aren't valid on the Rainbow One!!

Centrebus restored the full timetable on route 19 from today with the addition of the missing late morning/lunchtime journey (the 11.45 ex Melton & 12.35 ex Nottingham), though they still don't run on Saturdays. The 09.45 ex Melton & 10.35 ex Nottingham both now run 20minutes later but are unchanged on Saturdays.

Trent are restoring the Loughborough section of the Nottingham Skylink from the 28th September. Their website states they are 'nearly at 100% of pre-covid levels'. Really? As far as I know The Comet, Ilkeston Flyer, Hucknall Connect & The Keyworth are all still operating at reduced levels. The 6.0 hasn't restarted. While all those routes are running there are no Sunday buses still on two of them and reduced weekday frequencies on all of them!
I'd not realised the Loughborough end wasn't running. Presumably those jojensys turn at EMA to retain the frequency?

markymark2000

On Moderation
That's a bit strange.

On another note, but sticking with Trent Barton, what is the plan for cascades with the RainbowOne now using the E200MMCs?

Established Member

That is stupid for just one month. When is the last day that the plastic cards can be used?
I'd not realised the Loughborough end wasn't running. Presumably those jojensys turn at EMA to retain the frequency?
Yes the timetables shows them spinning at EMA
That's a bit strange.

On another note, but sticking with Trent Barton, what is the plan for cascades with the RainbowOne now using the E200MMCs?
rumours are that the old rainbow one's will go to the sixes which have had the same buses since new in 2005.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
That is stupid for just one month. When is the last day that the plastic cards can be used?

Yes the timetables shows them spinning at EMA

Thanks, I'd seen them operating the Coalville leg but hadn't realised there was no Loughborough. Presumably the theory is some passengers can use the Kinchline Skylink and change at EMA.