• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

cnjb8

Established Member
Nottingham City Council have a consultation on linkbus services. Proposal sees withdrawal of L1, L9, L10, L11 & L12. L2 diverted in Wollaton to replace L10. Full details here: https://www.transportnottingham.com/consultations/changes-to-linkbus-services/

Nottingham City Council’s Linkbus network provides important connections to residents living or working in areas where commercial bus routes are not viable.

The council is facing very serious budget challenges, and is having to make some extremely difficult decisions on the services we provide. This includes a proposal to reduce funding for our Linkbus services.

We are proposing to limit the effect on services through timetable changes, diversions on existing services, and withdrawing services where journeys can be made by another operator. This way we can ensure we continue to provide services to the city and district centres for people living more than 400m away from a commercial bus or tram stop.

A public consultation will run from Friday 22 January until Sunday 21 February, following which a final decision will be made in March.

Specific proposals for each service are outlined below.

Proposed changes​

L2 City – Nottingham Business Park (Strelley) – continued with many journeys diverting through sections of the withdrawn L10 route in Wollaton. The service would continue to operate half-hourly during peak, and reduce to hourly services in the off-peak.

L4 City – Beechdale – Aspley – to remain hourly. This service also serves the Beechdale and Upper Beechddale areas when the L11 is withdrawn, and the Radford area where the L12 will be withdrawn.

L5 City – Wollaton Park Estate – No change

L14 City – Heathfield – Bulwell – to continue operating at current levels, with some timetable changes. Serves the key areas around Perry Road, where the L12 will be withdrawn.

W1 City – Castle Marina – Lenton Lane Industrial Area – Slight timetable amendments in the evening peak, no reduction in service.

Medilink – Service to be maintained.

Proposed services to be withdrawn​

L1 City – Wilford Village – Silverdale Estate – CT4N Ltd provides an hourly commercial bus service (22 and 23) in this area.

The commercial service does not provide a direct link to the city centre, but interchange with frequent buses and trams will be available. The commercial route also serves Clifton, West Bridgford, Ruddingon and Gamston shopping centres

L9 City – Mapperley – Sherwood – Arnold – Bestwood Park – The two largest key areas (Edwards Lane Estate and Winchester Court/Woodthorpe Court) served by NCT 40 every 30 minutes. We are looking at low cost options for those parts of the L9 at Mildenhall Crescent and Sherwood Vale that are beyond 400m of another bus service.

L10 City – Wollaton – Beeston – Key areas will be served hourly by a diverted L2 route. No areas unserved.

L11 Beeston – Beechdale – Bulwell – Key areas will continue to be served by the L4 route. Most facilities will still be available on the L4 route or through interchange with other frequent services.

L12 University of Nottingham – QMC – Hyson Green – City Hospital – Many sections are served by other routes – the L4 in Radford and the L14 in Perry Road. The withdrawal of this service will result in the loss of direct services to the University and QMC, but facilities are available by interchange between frequent services.

Have your say​

If you have any comments on these changes, please let us know by Sunday 21 February by emailing [email protected]
This is because of the city council owned energy company that has left the council in massive trouble. I guess the earliest electric Solos will go.
Just out of interest, what happened to the S-series "Shoplink" routes in Nottingham. Do they still run?

According to here it looks like only the S11 remains:
Routes & Maps - Robin Hood Network
Some were taken on commercially by CT4N.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
I thought Nottingham had some special funding, was it a workplace levy, ringfenced, which is why they had the comprehensive Linkbus network as well as the general pro-bus outlook. Is this not the case?

markymark2000

On Moderation
I thought Nottingham had some special funding, was it a workplace levy, ringfenced, which is why they had the comprehensive Linkbus network as well as the general pro-bus outlook. Is this not the case?
Pro bus only works if there are funds available.

Clearly the workplace levy isn't bringing in as much money or the funding is being diverted to cover essential services. This is the issue with buses, in the councils list of things to fund, buses are not down in law that they have to fund them. This means funds are sent elsewhere very quickly so councils can fulfil their legal duties.

cnjb8

Established Member

Pro bus only works if there are funds available.

Clearly the workplace levy isn't bringing in as much money or the funding is being diverted to cover essential services. This is the issue with buses, in the councils list of things to fund, buses are not down in law that they have to fund them. This means funds are sent elsewhere very quickly so councils can fulfil their legal duties.
It does bring in quite a bit of money, but from what I hear the tram isn't doing to well so most of those funds are going toward it. The levy here has inspired other councils, such as one in Birmingham, to introduce something similar

Pigalle

Even if they do, it will no doubt be significantly reduced at present; employers who have furloughed staff/ moved them to working from home have been allowed to reduce the number of their car parking spaces subject to the levy.

Just out of interest, what happened to the S-series "Shoplink" routes in Nottingham. Do they still run?

The S20 & S21 Tesco Top Valley still? operate (by Silverdale??)- possible these are funded by Tesco - they certainly were when the store opened in the early 1980s.
The Nottingham Coach Company operate the S2/3/4 into Gamston Morrisons from rural areas that used to be part of the original S1 shopper from Clifton.
ct4n operate Shoppers services - the S11 is the Bulwell to Arnold section of the replacement for the Linkbus L11 with an extension to Mapperley. The S16 operates at Long Eaton.

RELL6L

Having been substantially cut back with some services run by other operators a couple of weeks ago it looks like High Peak will be back to relative normal from next Monday. Some services still reduced but 199 up from hourly to every 30 minutes, TP2 normal, 58 normal, 60/A still reduced but similar to first lockdown. Their website thanks D & G Bus, Hulleys and Andrews of Tideswell for delivering services while they were unable to.

Having been substantially cut back with some services run by other operators a couple of weeks ago it looks like High Peak will be back to relative normal from next Monday. Some services still reduced but 199 up from hourly to every 30 minutes, TP2 normal, 58 normal, 60/A still reduced but similar to first lockdown. Their website thanks D & G Bus, Hulleys and Andrews of Tideswell for delivering services while they were unable to.

According to their website went back to mid January levels yesterday: Quote: From Monday 8th February 2021, High Peak services will return to the service levels of mid-January. https://www.highpeakbuses.com/service-changes/

cnjb8

Established Member
Hammonds Coaches have sold their Bova tri axle BC07 BBC to Wrights Coaches in Norfolk.

cnjb8

Established Member
Trent Barton are apparently returning to pre lockdown levels on the 7th.
Looks like the sixes and comet PVR drops are permanent, with only around ten Versas repainted for the sixes and 746 and 747 away for repaint

NOTTS & DERBY are amongst operators with revised timetables from 8th March, but a statement on their website seems to indicate a number of routes may not restart: "Services 17/17A/17S/73/D1 have now been terminated for commercial reasons. Sorry for any inconveniece caused ".
Be interesting to see if any replacements occur.

nctx

Ct4n have a Driver shortage so have failed to run the S16 shoplink, 4 days in a row.

DDB

NOTTS & DERBY are amongst operators with revised timetables from 8th March, but a statement on their website seems to indicate a number of routes may not restart: "Services 17/17A/17S/73/D1 have now been terminated for commercial reasons. Sorry for any inconveniece caused ".
Seems to be confirmed by this story in the Derby Telegraph which is mostly about the 17 and 17A being canned but confirms the others as well in the final paragraph which I quote below.

https://www-derbytelegraph-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/struggling-derby-bus-service-axed-5206416.amp?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=16163924871139&csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.derbytelegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flocal-news%2Fstruggling-derby-bus-service-axed-5206416

It is unlikely that a replacement service will follow the previous route and timetable of the 17 and 17A service but an affordable transport link to Park Farm shopping centre is being explored.

Mr Repton said he would be "working with Derby City Council to find an operator that can provide, maybe not a bus, but possibly a shuttle service to Park Farm or Derby".

Notts & Derby Buses also confirmed that it has terminated both the 73 and D1 services that run from Derby bus station to Weston-on-Trent and the Meteor Centre Park & Ride, respectively

cnjb8

Established Member

DDB

The D1? How is it meant to be a park and ride??
It was meant to be obviously wasn't very successful. See the website below that advertised it. It is out of date though!
https://www.derbyconnected.com/getting-around-derby/buses/park-and-ride-to-derby/

We have two park and ride services that operate into Derby. Both charge per car, not per person, so up to seven people can travel with one ticket. The price for both routes includes the parking and the bus ride to Derby city centre and back again:

Meteor Centre – Park and Ride D1 – £3.20 per car – post code DE21 4SY

Pride Park – Park and Ride – £3 per car per day and £12 per week – post code DE24 8BW

Established Member
Looking at derbysbus.info the 73 will now be run by Littles twice a day Monday to Friday starting next week.

cnjb8

Established Member
Having been out and about yesterday, I saw that the sixes and Rainbow One had the most passengers I've seen since the pandemic. However my15 was empty, as was the 21 while the two was noticeably quiet too. Something to note after all of their withdrawals is the 72 was almost full, which I was quite surprised to see!
I think our areas buses are going through quite a tough time (which is similar nationwide but anyways).

cnjb8

Established Member
Hulleys of Baslow have a new MCV Evora due, registered Y100 HOB and numbered 21 in the fleet.

DDB

I have noticed that Wilford Green bus stop in Nottingham seems to have had an extra route number added to its sign, namely "2". Does anyone know anything about it or has it always been there and I hadn't noticed?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I have noticed that Wilford Green bus stop in Nottingham seems to have had an extra route number added to its sign, namely "2". Does anyone know anything about it or has it always been there and I hadn't noticed?
There used to be a 2...

Attachments

• 2-timetable.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 46

DDB

There used to be a 2...
That probably explains it. I assume it was killed off once the tram arrived as it looks like it followed a similar route. Thanks for the info, I knew someone in this thread would know!

The 2 lasted quite a while after the tram started. When NCT took over the Barton Ruddington 14/54 they numbered it 3. Eventually they could'n't make both the 2 & 3 pay and combined them into one route.
There are a LOT of stops in the County with wrong numbers up. The bus stop on Bilborough Road at Balloon Wood Crossroads is served by NCT 35 but numbered for Trent's 20 & 21. The stop on Kimberley Road Nuthall known as Edward Road towards Nottingham is served by the Rainbow One & 528. It is labelled for Amberline & 528. There are an awful lot of stops in North Broxtowe borough served by the Councils tendered 528/32/35 that have altered route that many times that old numbers eg 531/533 still appear. but not the current route!

chessie

Seconded, happy birthday Hulleys..heres to the next 100!! They certainly had the enthusiasts out today with the newly painted original Hulleys red livery bus, along with the Vintage Chesterfield Transport Double Decker and Whites of Calver Single Decker, all of which seemed to be following the 170 route today.

kevjs

Hmm Nottingham isn't usually one for leaving old numbers in Situ.

The Google Maps view shows that 2 didn't used to be there in 2019

Some of the 1's have changed to 1E's now Gotham Garage has closed, and L1 has been withdrawn so perhaps a mistake was made then?

Hmm Nottingham isn't usually one for leaving old numbers in Situ.

The Google Maps view shows that 2 didn't used to be there in 2019

Some of the 1's have changed to 1E's now Gotham Garage has closed, and L1 has been withdrawn so perhaps a mistake was made then?

L1 is still running only proposed for withdrawal. City Council don't usually label stops with variant letters - ie the 79 & 79A just appear as 79 across the whole shared route. 79A appears ONLY where the 79 doesn't run, so I wouldn't expect to see 1A, 1E etc at Wilford Green.

DDB

L1 is still running only proposed for withdrawal. City Council don't usually label stops with variant letters - ie the 79 & 79A just appear as 79 across the whole shared route. 79A appears ONLY where the 79 doesn't run, so I wouldn't expect to see 1A, 1E etc at Wilford Green.
I was wondering if the "2" was some sort of replacement for the L1 is if it was going. The number was in grey rather than the navy of the 1,3 and 4 so I wondered if CT4N were planning some variant of the 22/23 to cover the gap.

I was wondering if the "2" was some sort of replacement for the L1 is if it was going. The number was in grey rather than the navy of the 1,3 and 4 so I wondered if CT4N were planning some variant of the 22/23 to cover the gap.
Ah could be as stops in some parts have 19 up which was supposed to be CT4Ns replacement for the L9 last April....

chessie

Hulleys never seem to stop ramping their game at the moment, they are now busy rolling this out amongst many social media websites:

Last edited by a moderator:

Llandudno

Established Member
Hulleys never seem to stop ramping their game at the moment, they are busy rolling this out amongst many social media websites. Admin, if this is too much of an advert for the forum please feel free to delete Welcome to Hulleys of Baslow - YouTube
It’s superb what Hulley’s are doing, not just innovative new services but imaginative marketing of leisure based services.

Shame the likes of Arriva and First make virtually no attempt to promote any of their services in tourist areas...