• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

Established Member
Trent Barton are still cancelling a large number of buses each day. Every morning there is a long list of cancelled buses published via Twitter. The cuts in services at the beginning of September and more this week does not seem to have reduced the number of cancellations due to driver shortages.

The Trent Barton cancellation situation is not good but Stagecoach East Midlands are currently no better. They too are listing large numbers of cancellations each day via Twitter. Local services in the Mansfield area seem especially badly hit. Buses to Langwith, Shirebrook, Mansfield Woodhouse and Huthwaite cancelled daily.
For trentbarton the routes mostly seem to be the ones out of the Nottingham and Sutton depots which so far other than the 141 have not had any cuts to frequencies/services unlike Derby and Langley Mill routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AY1975

Established Member
Littles service 142 and 150 passing to TM Travel
I may be wrong but I think the 142 was only reinstated fairly recently, maybe earlier this year. It's good that it has been reintroduced, as it fills some of the gaps left by Littles service 140, at least on the Alfreton to Crich section (which is basically two-hourly but with some three-hour gaps), albeit that the 142 goes via Birches Lane whereas the 140 goes via Holme Lane/Church Lane, South Wingfield.

Mind you, in some cases there are 140s and 142s within a few minutes of each other. For example there is a 140 at 13.45 from Alfreton rail station, followed by a 142 at 14.05. There is then a 140 at 16.05 from Alfreton rail station, followed by a 142 just 10 minutes later at 16.15.

ashworth

Established Member
A bit off the topic of this thread but I will post it here as it did happen in Nottingham! I found it quite amusing.

Last night I went to catch a Trent Barton bus. I won't give time or route. It was about 5 minutes before departure and the bus was standing in the bus station with lights on but doors closed and no driver. There was quite a queue and the departure time arrived but no sign of the driver. Almost 10 minutes later the driver appeared around the back of the bus and opened the doors. As we boarded the lady in front of me said to the driver "I knew it would be you when it was late. It's always you when it's late. You will have been standing behind that wall on your phone again like you do regularly. Well I'm not paying!"
She didn't pay and he never said a word.

M60lad

Out of interest while you say this is amusing it seems this service (whichever one it is) has a regular driver on it so I wonder whether he's used to the timings on it and whether this particular run on the service is very generous for time keeping hence why whenever this particular driver is allocated to the duty does what he does and leaves late.

I'm not from the area but I know that my bus home from Manchester can leave up to about 10 late and end up picking its time back up due to the timings on the route.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Out of interest while you say this is amusing it seems this service (whichever one it is) has a regular driver on it so I wonder whether he's used to the timings on it and whether this particular run on the service is very generous for time keeping hence why whenever this particular driver is allocated to the duty does what he does and leaves late.

I'm not from the area but I know that my bus home from Manchester can leave up to about 10 late and end up picking its time back up due to the timings on the route.
Whether or not the timings on the route are slack, it doesn't excuse the late departure. To be fiddling with your phone while customers are waiting to board is highly unprofessional.

STINT47

Trentbarton do ask drivers to be on their buses five minutes before departure and this is monitored as part of compliance checks done by staff.

In reality as long as the bus departs on time the five minuet request has some flexibility, if the service only has a few passengers to load then it's not an issue if the driver does not board till just before departure.

What would not be acceptable is to board the bus late or let passengers on late without good cause. Sometimes the drivers need to take a personal needs break or speak to the depot etc and they would not be marked down for this.

If however the driver was repeatedly late loading their bus due to using their phone etc then it would normally be dealt with by having a quick word with said driver to say that it's been observed. If this does not resolve the issue it would then be formally reported to their supervisors to deal with.

In response to the previous poster although some routes have generous recovery time drivers are still expected to leave on time as per the timetable.

SCH117X

Established Member
The classic late departure use to be the South Notts Nottingham- Loughborough service in the days of conductor operation when fully stopping to let off a sole passenger was rare and on picking up little attention was given to whether the new passenger(s) were seated. Invariably also resulted in an early arrival at Loughborough.

Andyh82

Established Member
A question, why does the V3 service sit outside of the Villager brand?

Also I guess Derby Bus Station isn’t as congested as it once was, with frequency reductions and service withdrawals, so do you think services that don’t use the bus station (such as the Nines, H1) should use the bus station, so passengers for these services aren’t waiting out in the cold

mainframe444

Also I guess Derby Bus Station isn’t as congested as it once was, with frequency reductions and service withdrawals, so do you think services that don’t use the bus station (such as the Nines, H1) should use the bus station, so passengers for these services aren’t waiting out in the cold
With regard to the bus station, the issue is that these services probably get a 5 minute turnaround in Derby. To work them to the bus station, load and leave again would take longer than 5 minutes, so an extra bus would be needed in the cycle, with all the associated cost/staff.
This is the same reason the i4 and Indigo have not returned to Broadmarsh from Friar Lane in Nottingham.

And I get that bus companies are there to provide a service, and it would be better to use the bus station from a passenger perspective, but costs have to be taken into consideration.

Last edited:

elknottingham

With regard to the V3 not being part of the Villager brand, when the Villager service started the Villager branded buses covered the V1, V2, V3 and V4 routes. Now only the V1 and V3 routes survive and with the V1 being the more frequent and heavily used service it has retained the Villager brand.

Established Member
Originally the v3 interworked with the v1 and used the same vehicles. With the withdrawal of the v2 and v4 and increase of the v1 the interworking stopped and the 2 routes operate separately. The rebranding of the v3 came around the time of the villager (former v1) received the Volvo's which are currently on the route. Suppose the solo's that are normally on the route are more suited to the route in terms of passenger numbers and roads as apparently the larger vehicles are not the best for going round Heatherton.

Established Member
BBC reporting that Derby city council are discussing a possible replacement for the Spondon Flyer and 17/17A services.

Replacement for axed Spondon Flyer to be discussed by Derby City Council​

A new bus service to replace the axed Spondon Flyer could be launched, new documents reveal.
Derby City Council is planning to launch a "trial" service that would serve the Spondon district for at least three months, with councillors set to discuss the proposals at a cabinet meeting on Wednesday.
A similar line connecting Allestree and Darley Abbey could also be created.
Trentbarton permanently stopped running the Spondon Flyer in September.
More than 100 residents attended a meeting during the summer to express their concerns over the loss of the route, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service.
A report for the cabinet meeting said the proposed new services were designed "to connect parts of communities with no service to local amenities" rather than to Derby city centre, with £25,000 for the schemes coming from central government's local transport fund.

cnjb8

Established Member
A summary of Welglade fleet changes taking place:

Mickleover Enviros 107/108 are going to Kinchbus as spares. Citaros 903/904 will be put into Kinchbus 9 and this will allow all Scanias to be withdrawn

An 09 plate Solo will transfer from Trent to Kinch to replace 458

Kinchbus will also receive a second B7RLE, possibly 739

Allestree 269 is going into spare livery at Derby

A number of Derby based Solos will move to Langley Mill. Said to be 495/496/497/500/502/503. They may get a couple of B7RLEs in return

Over in Sutton, 462 will be withdrawn if it hasn’t already, 484 off Connect will be put into spare livery to replace this

H1 Versas 828 and 829 are being taken off very soon, possibly to be put into Mango livery

The Two branded B8RLEs 778/779/780 will be refurbished for Skylink Express
269 now repainted in Mango and back in service at Derby.

chessie

Free trial bus route in Belper during December, to continue in the new year if the demand is there. I dont know the route or if the demand is already there but how can you forecast January demand when people have to start paying for something that was previously free, unless it's just aimed at concessionary passes?

Last edited:

Llandudno

Established Member
Free trial bus route in Belper during December, to continue in the new year if the demand is there. I dont know the route or if the demand is already there but how can you forecast January demand when people have to start paying for something that was previously free, unless it's just aimed at concessionary passes?

Is this funded by the Bus Improvement Plan?

Three off peak round trips, I doubt it will carry any one but ENCTS pass holders, anyone else will walk as the distance is so short!

chessie

Three off peak round trips, I doubt it will carry any one but ENCTS pass holders, anyone else will walk as the distance is so short!
That makes sense in all fairness

station_road

It's going to run in what is currently dead time in between the bus operating a 72 (Belper Town Service) which arrives back in Belper at xx.50 and a 71 back to Derby at xx.00 every 2 hours - worth a go if the only cost is the extra fuel for a 9 minute journey, I guess, although the 71 itself serves the same stops. It's a short distance but with some steep hills and an older population.

richardderby

I wish Notts and Derby would have a look at improving the 59 too, as it has a near three-hour gap in the afternoon, post 3pm.
it used to be hourly and is quite a popular service. The 71 seems to have a better timetable frequency and seems less busy overall.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Incident in Nottingham yesterday evening between a Trent Barton single deck and NCT decker as documented here:

A huge bang was heard as two buses were involved in a crash in an incident which closed a road in Nottingham city centre. The head-on collision involving an NCT and trentbarton bus happened an Canal Street's junction with Carrington Street was reported at 5.06pm on Thursday, December 8.

The junction has been partially blocked by the crash involving the two vehicles. Canal Street has been closed in between Carrington Street and Greyfriar Gate junctions due to the crash.

Local resident at the scene voiced their concern after seeing the dramatic scene of the crash, which was cordoned off by Nottinghamshire Police. Manisha Sharma, 29, who works as a solicitor at a law firm near to the scene of the crash, said she heard a ‘loud bang’ just before 5pm.

Mod note: Quote from article has been added, as required by forum rules.

JD2168

One of Trent Barton’s three-branded Optare Versas caught fire & burnt out at Annesley near Nottingham this morning.

Simon75

On Moderation
What are the plans for the Nottingham City transport garage at Gotham?

DunsBus

Established Member
One of Trent Barton’s Optare Versa’s Three’s branded caught fire & burnt out at Annesley near Nottingham this morning.
812, I believe. The driver and passengers all alighted safely.

ChrisC

Established Member
It’s now almost 4 months since Stagecoach took over the running of the 141 bus route in Nottinghamshire from Trent Barton. It has been much better, fairly reliable with most buses actually turning up and there has certainly been a small increase in passenger numbers. I do know a number of people who have been using it more often to make it a success.

Sadly these last couple of weeks things have not been so good with a small number of advertised cancellations and an increasing number of buses just not turning up. Many buses these last few weeks have also been running up to 30 minutes late This morning the hourly service has been almost unusable with 2 consecutive buses not turning up, with no departures from Nottingham at 0930, 1030 and now the 1130 running around 25 minutes late. There are also 2 buses already cancelled this afternoon including the last service of the day. This will only result in passengers stopping using it again as happened with Trent Barton and the service will then not survive beyond next September’s planned review.

Last edited:

derbybusdepot

In my opinion all the BSOG (Bus Service Operators Grant) funding should be awarded in a different way, when operators meet certain criteria that provides evidence they are trying to increase patronage.

There are operators (some local) claiming the BSOG money and providing a sub standard service, with many cancellations, which will only reduce patronage not increase it.

cnjb8

Established Member
In my opinion all the BSOG (Bus Service Operators Grant) funding should be awarded in a different way, when operators meet certain criteria that provides evidence they are trying to increase patronage.

There are operators (some local) claiming the BSOG money and providing a sub standard service, with many cancellations, which will only reduce patronage not increase it.
But then without BSOG, those services would be withdrawn with no one to take them on, after all every bus company is facing driver shortages and a high fuel bill. Look at what happened in South Yorkshire recently with services being withdrawn because no operator took up the tender

derbybusdepot

But then without BSOG, those services would be withdrawn with no one to take them on, after all every bus company is facing driver shortages and a high fuel bill. Look at what happened in South Yorkshire recently with services being withdrawn because no operator took up the tender
Arguably that will happen anyway. If a service is unreliable, it will not attract new custom whether fares are £2 or £4. Custom will decrease as even current users will seek alternatives, even if it means walking.

Eventually they need to cut back to what is commercially viable, then funding used to fill the gaps.

liamf656

Trentbarton have redeployed B8s 778-780 to Sutton for the Threes to help aid the chronic vehicle shortage on that route, following the loss of 812 and other issues with the Versas. The B8s were originally intended for Skylink Express at Notts however they’ll need to hold onto their two Scanias for now

adrianjohnson

TrentBarton are making timetable changes from 2 April listed here: TrentBarton changes

From Sunday 2 April, the following timetable changes will take place:

frequency improvements and timetable changes

the allestree | Revised timetable to improve reliability, with changes to which journeys serve Woodlands Top in the afternoons.

the comet | The 7.05am journey from Derby and 8.15am from Chesterfield will run 10 minutes earlier to give a pre-9am arrival in Alfreton.

H1 | Daytime frequency to every 12 minutes Monday-Saturday, extra running time at peaks to improve reliability.

i4 | New Sunday early morning journeys to help with shift changeovers at QMC and SmartParc SEGRO Derby.

mickleover | Revised timetable to improve reliability.

the two | Additional buses added to cycle to improve reliability.

33 | The 7.54am journey from Ilkeston will run via the 34 route (Marpool Farm) to improve links to Heanor Gate Spencer Academy.

withdrawals and reductions

Unfortunately due to the withdrawal of funding for some services we will have to make some withdrawals and reductions.

18 | Service withdrawn.

connect | Evening & Sunday journeys withdrawn and second bus on blue route withdrawn Monday-Saturday.

mainline | Friday and Saturday evening frequency to every 30 minutes.

the cotgrave | Reduced evening service with earlier finishes.
Interesting that H1 is going to every 12 minutes and the two is having additional buses. Will more buses be painted in H1, and will 778-780 go back to the twos.