• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

Trainman40083

I fear you may be correct.

The problem now is that many frequencies on mainline Chesterfield depot services have been cut, I don’t think there are any services more frequent than every 15/20 minutes so dropping trips can lead to a gap in service of at least 30 minutes. Not helped by the fact that the Stagecoach app doesn’t delete cancelled buses until after its scheduled departure time.

A cynic might suggest that buses and drivers have been redeployed from frequent commercial services to operate more lucrative DCC contract and Government sponsored BSIP funded services?
I'd say that operators putting resources into services that make most money, is entirely probable.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Teapot42

I'd say that operators putting resources into services that make most money, is entirely probable.
Ideally part of the contract to receive such funding should be that they aren't operated to the detriment of existing services. Derbyshire County Council were as much to blame last year when they gave Stagecoach BSIP funding for services which required many more drivers when there was already a shortage.

The eventual outcome will be that the less lucrative services will be threatened and public funding will have to be found to preserve them, meaning the bus company gets it both ways.

zakky1.0

82 is tracking on red arrow
Yes, surprisingly after 15 months VOR it lasted a full day in service, in honesty I was expecting it to fail today.

now just 80/81/85/86 & 88 to get the red arrow back to full frequency, I cannot remember a time that all 9 branded vehicles all lasted a full day in service.

Trainman40083

Yes, surprisingly after 15 months VOR it lasted a full day in service, in honesty I was expecting it to fail today.

now just 80/81/85/86 & 88 to get the red arrow back to full frequency, I cannot remember a time that all 9 branded vehicles all lasted a full day in service.
Hard enough to remember when any 9 vehicles have been on Red Arrow. But I think there was one day, in the past year.

MCR247

Established Member
I’ve been on a couple of NCTs Yutongs today and it seems like the aircon has been on off on most my previous journeys (which explains my initial complaint of my first journey being too stuffy). The driver has just turned it on on the bus I’m on now and it is making a noticeable difference (and a slight noise that previous ones weren’t making. I also noticed that the Red 50 one I took earlier didn’t have the same red LED screen behind the driver that the ones on the 39 have. Instead, they’ve got a more classic light up ‘Stopping’ sign. Great buses though!

tram21

I also noticed that the Red 50 one I took earlier didn’t have the same red LED screen behind the driver that the ones on the 39 have. Instead, they’ve got a more classic light up ‘Stopping’ sign. Great buses though!
The reason for that is interesting- the NCT representative that went to see the buses in build (201), they saw the same on other buses for different operators and asked for it on all of the rest of the order!

MCR247

Established Member
The reason for that is interesting- the NCT representative that went to see the buses in build (201), they saw the same on other buses for different operators and asked for it on all of the rest of the order!
Ah that is interesting thanks. Perhaps their late inclusion explains why the time is slightly out of sync :lol:

zakky1.0

Once again Derby seems to be struggling for spare vehicles, 492 & 716 both failed this evening, 494 was on V3s & 750 on swift.

You’d think ‘the really good bus company’ would have spare vehicles to cover evening issues, with 80, 81, 85, 86, 88, 267, 269, 701, 715, 717,736, 737, 738, 745, 842 and 847 either being VOR (vehicle off road) or breaking down on 30/04.

Tomorrow should be interesting, let’s hope engineering have been working tirelessly tonight on fixing vehicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

tram21

Once again Derby seems to be struggling for spare vehicles, 492 & 716 both failed this evening, 494 was on V3s & 750 on swift.

You’d think ‘the really good bus company’ would have spare vehicles to cover evening issues, with 80, 81, 85, 86, 88, 267, 269, 701, 715, 717,736, 737, 738, 745, 842 and 847 either being VOR (vehicle off road) or breaking down on 30/04.

Tomorrow should be interesting, let’s hope engineering have been working tirelessly tonight on fixing vehicles.
Having a quick look it seems like it's a very good day for avaliablilty- 7 buses on the Red Arrow!

Trainman40083

Trentbarton red Optare Versa 814 is now back at Sutton Junction. I guess once it enters service, that will give 5 buses in the bright red livery. Two new Trentbarton Enviro 200MMCs are now in build; for Villager. Now here is a wild card question. Who is operating V463 OKE, an Alexander ALX 400 sounded like a Dennis Trident? Saw it on London Road in Derby and it went to the Arriva depot on Ascot Drive.

Hyebone

Two new Trentbarton Enviro 200MMCs are now in build; for Villager
Do we have any idea of the spec of these vehicles? ie do they have tinted windows and USB-C chargers installed inside?

The tinted windows on the Threes ADLs were a godsend in the hot weather we had in September last year. As someone who is overstimulated by bright lights, they also kept the interior pretty dim but still very visible; making the overall ride quality excellent!

bringiton

Do we have any idea of the spec of these vehicles? ie do they have tinted windows and USB-C chargers installed inside?

The tinted windows on the Threes ADLs were a godsend in the hot weather we had in September last year. As someone who is overstimulated by bright lights, they also kept the interior pretty dim but still very visible; making the overall ride quality excellent!
Don't all the new spec have these as standard?

Hyebone

Don't all the new spec have these as standard?
I would like to think so. I assume things could change, like what they did with the YX66s for the Mickleover and Nines with the "Minibar" halfway up the vehicle; which they removed in the later vehicles of Mainline and Blue Skylink. (And after that, upgrading them to being lower down and having wireless charging pads.

bringiton

I would like to think so. I assume things could change, like what they did with the YX66s for the Mickleover and Nines with the "Minibar" halfway up the vehicle; which they removed in the later vehicles of Mainline and Blue Skylink. (And after that, upgrading them to being lower down and having wireless charging pads.
Yeah, I think I heard that tinted windows were just how the vehicle comes now but I might be remembering wrong.

zakky1.0

Who is operating V463 OKE, an Alexander ALX 400 sounded like a Dennis Trident? Saw it on London Road in Derby and it went to the Arriva depot on Ascot Drive.
Last listed with ASD coaches, doubt it’ll be Harpurs considering they’ve been selling off a few of the fleet, could possible be hawkes.

Trainman40083

Last listed with ASD coaches, doubt it’ll be Harpurs considering they’ve been selling off a few of the fleet, could possible be hawkes.
The driver seemed to be having issues getting into the depot. Think Hawkes is the most likely Caught me by surprise.

Yeah, would of meant more profit for arriva too

Also fairly sure red arrow is going to 9 busses, 82 is parked at the bus station currently
Ah, but if 82 goes back on, RA will then have 5 coaches, 2 Volvos and a Versa.

Volvo142

The driver seemed to be having issues getting into the depot. Think Hawkes is the most likely Caught me by surprise.

Ah, but if 82 goes back on, RA will then have 5 coaches, 2 Volvos and a Versa.
There are nine tracking now...
Coaches 80/81/82/83/84/87 plus Volvos 712/5/6...astonishing!

Allestree also has a full service for probably the first time in a month or more, using three of the branded buses plus 492

Trainman40083

There are nine tracking now...
Coaches 80/81/82/83/84/87 plus Volvos 712/5/6...astonishing!

Allestree also has a full service for probably the first time in a month or more, using three of the branded buses plus 492
To be fair, on an odd day in the month, the Allestree has had a full service.. Think 491 appeared helping out one day.

Trainman40083

AFAIK they are identical to the Threes MMCs
They like the tinted windows, so you can't see how many passengers are on. ;)

Did coach 81 not even manage one return RA trip today??

Last edited:

Trainman40083

A friend went to Nottingham today on Red Arrow. I had high hopes for him, given 6 coaches were out. But just one single decker. He caught coach 81, as the previous working was cancelled. One of six passengers, and he was on a Zig Zag. Wonder how much it costs to run that service, in order to make money?

bringiton

A friend went to Nottingham today on Red Arrow. I had high hopes for him, given 6 coaches were out. But just one single decker. He caught coach 81, as the previous working was cancelled. One of six passengers, and he was on a Zig Zag. Wonder how much it costs to run that service, in order to make money?
I got on 81 not that long ago today...it use to have WiFi, now it's come back it doesn't. It was peak time so bus was fairly full, the peak probably pays more for the more emptier trips