• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nr external track maintenance interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Bro

I've just been invited to an interview for track maintenance, I've been applying for 14 month so was overwhelm to be honest, I've recently done my pts and ici assessment to give myself a better a chance bit havnt been on track working. I'm a joiner by trade but was wondering what sort of questions I might be asked for revising and thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Elecman

Established Member
Brush up on the non technical skills areas, your completion of PTS and ICI will stand you in good stead

Gary Bro

Brush up on the non technical skills areas, your completion of PTS and ICI will stand you in good stead
Is there some sort of page I can use to do this
Thanks for that, where abouts can I get the non technical skills to help me revise just online I suppose

Freckles

Is there some sort of page I can use to do this

Hi Gary,

Below are the 8 Network Rail NTS's. My interview was for a role as a signaller, so obviously will have a different slant to yours, but from reading a lot of the discussions on this site it seems that regardless of the position you have applied for, the interview will always involve a lot of "tell me about a time you...." and then they'll ask for an example of a time you showed one of the skills below.

If you have an answer for each of them then that should stand you in pretty good stead. Best of luck with your interview :)

Conscientiousness – the ability to work diligently, with a positive attitude and be willing to take responsibility for their own actions.

Relationships with People – the ability to work with others in the team in a positive, respectful and supportive manner; providing support and help when needed and managing conflict when required.

Communications – the ability to communicate both verbally and in written format clearly and concisely and to stand your ground as necessary.

Willingness and Ability to Learn – the ability and motivation to be trained, retain information, apply it in the work environment and learn and develop on the job.

Planning and Decision Making – the ability to anticipate, plan and prioritise activities.

Multi Task Capacity – the ability to successfully carry out more than one task at a time.

Controlled Under Pressure – the ability to cope in emergency or degraded situations.

Attention Management – the ability to remain alert and focussed, to manage distractions, and keep an awareness of the overall situation

Freckles

Oh one other thing; in my interview they kept on bringing up safety. Again, it was for a different role than you're going for, but I would imagine it's a fairly standard question. They asked "what does safety mean to you?" and then "why do you think safety is so important for Network Rail?".

Probably a good idea to have answers for these just in case...

Gary Bro

Oh one other thing; in my interview they kept on bringing up safety. Again, it was for a different role than you're going for, but I would imagine it's a fairly standard question. They asked "what does safety mean to you?" and then "why do you think safety is so important for Network Rail?".

Thanks so much for this I will come up with some scenarios to answer these and hopefully that will get me a position

The One

Always think safety at all times.You won’t work unsafe or be tempted to work unsafe to cut corners or finish early.
?is if you see a work colleague working unsafe what would you do! Those types of questions come up in a safety critical role.
The rail industry is a excellent industry to become a part of but be warned it can cause problems with your social life lol.

Gary Bro

Always think safety at all times.You won’t work unsafe or be tempted to work unsafe to cut corners or finish early.
?is if you see a work colleague working unsafe what would you do! Those types of questions come up in a safety critical role.
The rail industry is a excellent industry to become a part of but be warned it can cause problems with your social life lol.
Thanks for that I will bare these in mind I've also been told about scenarios is this right

Gary Bro

Thanks again what sorts of replies did you give for safety critical that you won't do it unless you feel it's safe etc

Status
Not open for further replies.