• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NSW Trains CAF Civity XPT replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan99

Established Member
Sounds like you could have just done with scaled down Siemens Chargers, with a version of Viaggio/Venture carriages if they wished to push the boat out. I dread to think what a CAF unit will be like with your legendarily rough PWay!

The Sydney-Melbourne rail line is by and large good track quality given the maximum permitted speed of roughly 120 to 160kmh (latter not often), as is Sydney-Brisbane. It's the steam age constant curvature on the former (especially Goulburn to Cootamundra) and on the latter Maitland to almost Grafton City that's more the problem, as XPT drivers have to at times take the curves fairly hard to keep to schedule.

ARTC spent A$235 million fixing mudholes and other problems in recent times between just out of Melbourne and the Victorian/NSW border at Wodonga, a little more than 300 rail kilometres from the Victorian capital.

Between Albury (NSW twin city with Wodonga, total population 90000) and Sydney NSW, track quality is good save for one rough spot noted near Henty (look it up on Google).

In UK five months ago, I asked a couple of rail employees about CAF and they replied that the company's recent trains were obtaining a reputation for rough riding, a la 'Caledonian Sleeper' not giving me as good a sleep as older rollingstock on 'Night Riviera'.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pakenhamtrain

Seems a lot just to avoid the bus to Melbourne Airpot.
Don't worry we are getting a 7 car electric train to the airport soon.
It is recommended that overnight XPT journeys be in a sleeper; otherwise do not go.

The cost of the Skybus from Melbourne airport is expensive. there is a regular bus service available. Route901 with normal fares. Take this to Broadmeadows suburban station and change to the suburban train. It will save a lot of money.
The downside of that is you have to venture into Broadmeadows.

Tester

The downside of that is you have to venture into Broadmeadows.
To be fair, not 'into'!

The bus stop is immediately outside the station, with no steps from either platform and no roads to cross - about as convenient an interchange as you could wish for.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Anticipating a trip to Melbourne later in the year and the advice above, I came across this nugget of information about the 901 bus route from the airport to Broadmeadows station (my bold):
SmartBus Route 901 is being diverted away from the shopping centre and train station after 7pm on Friday and Saturday nights (due to rock throwing in the Roxburgh Park area).

Tester

Anticipating a trip to Melbourne later in the year and the advice above, I came across this nugget of information about the 901 bus route from the airport to Broadmeadows station (my bold):
Roxburgh Park is the other side of Broadmeadows from the airport, so you should be ok :D

Then again, if you fancy an adventure you can take the 901 all the way from the Airport to Frankston - a 4h15 tour around Melbourne's suburbs for $3.10 (£1.77)!

It runs every 15 minutes during the day.

railfan99

Established Member
Then again, if you fancy an adventure you can take the 901 all the way from the Airport to Frankston - a 4h15 tour around Melbourne's suburbs for $3.10 (£1.77)!

Sorry to disappoint but fare for a 'two-hour trip' (based only on touch on times) is A$4.60 using (compulsory smartcard) myki. We also have inflation in what you call the Antipodes.

Tester

Sorry to disappoint but fare for a 'two-hour trip' (based only on touch on times) is A$4.60 using (compulsory smartcard) myki. We also have inflation in what you call the Antipodes.
Hehehe the 901 runs entirely in Zone 2 - hence $3.10 at the current tariff :D

Status
Not open for further replies.