• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

nuclear trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Established Member
Dont know of it is true or not but I once heard a member of the royal protection detail usually travels up front with the driver.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
Well DRS are owned by BNFL/NDA so technically they are nuclear employees. I guess they'd have to go through some sort of special training/asssessment for the jobs involving radioactive material.

Jobs involving radioactive material?

Does the guy in Tesco get special training for puting smoke detectors on the shelf?!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Jobs involving radioactive material?

Does the guy in Tesco get special training for puting smoke detectors on the shelf?!

Surely that's just high order pedantry? There is clearly a world of difference between the radioactive material found in smoke detectors and that found on nuclear waste trains!

Established Member
Dont know of it is true or not but I once heard a member of the royal protection detail usually travels up front with the driver.
I am pretty sure there used to be a Traction Inspector involved (also a Network Rail representative) so maybe his purpose is to accompany the protection staff on the footplate?

Hydro

Established Member
Depends on the amount really. Im sure there was a teenager in the States arrested for trying to do backyard nuclear experiments using sources from many stripped down smoke detectors.

It's next to impossible for a lay person to get into one of those flasks anyway. All those scare stories of journalists putting fake bombs on the wagons are pretty much scare stories. Something like that would just mean the wagon would need a new hood and paintjob.

scotsman

Established Member
Surely that's just high order pedantry? There is clearly a world of difference between the radioactive material found in smoke detectors and that found on nuclear waste trains!

It is a bit, but saying "radioactive material" is a bit of a sweeping statement - there are classifications to differentiate materials

GB

Established Member
Given this is a thread specifically about the nuclear waste trains its hard to see how the term "radioactive materials" can be seen as a sweeping statement.

sutty

Given this is a thread specifically about the nuclear waste trains its hard to see how the term "radioactive materials" can be seen as a sweeping statement.

*Like*
+1

Etc.

Given that the drivers are taking charge of highly dangerous processed material it's a world of difference from stacking shelves in a shop.

Having seen a comment further up however, if the drivers are BNFL they will be security cleared at some point. They would at least pass through a few layers including CRB + Enhanced / BSC / CTC. CTC is generally used for people working in close proximity to public figures.

Also, apologies to the first poster for threadjacking. Have a free banana.

Hydro

Established Member
The drivers aren't BNFL, they are DRS. DRS in turn is owned by the Nuclear Decomissioning Authority.

I don't know why everyone's getting so picky about this, the fact is they do drive the trains so they must have the right ticks in the right boxes. It could be any company pulling the flasks, they'd just have the right ticks in the right boxes too. In fact I believe EWS used to do it upon privatisation.

It's not as if the drivers have the key to the flask anyway, the chances are almost infinitesimally small of anyone managing to get into one. Then they'd be faced with lots of hot radioactive water and bars of spent fuel that can't exactly be put into a sports bag and carried off.

sutty

The drivers aren't BNFL, they are DRS. DRS in turn is owned by the Nuclear Decomissioning Authority.

I don't know why everyone's getting so picky about this, the fact is they do drive the trains so they must have the right ticks in the right boxes. It could be any company pulling the flasks, they'd just have the right ticks in the right boxes too. In fact I believe EWS used to do it upon privatisation.

It's not as if the drivers have the key to the flask anyway, the chances are almost infinitesimally small of anyone managing to get into one. Then they'd be faced with lots of hot radioactive water and bars of spent fuel that can't exactly be put into a sports bag and carried off.

Very true. I apologise if you thought I was being picky. I was just enquiring about something I'd been curious about for a while.

That said, just because the right boxes are ticked, doesn't mean that curiosity in the subject wanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.