• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nuclear Waste Protesters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
TheSlash said:
Sprog, why are they sticking the stickets at BTM? Do they have nuclear stuff at Plymouth Dockyard or something?
I've previously lived a happy ignorance of nuclear flask trains but reading this, i have to ask about them really.
I take it all the photos i have seen of 2 locos and 1 or 2 flask wagons mean the contents of the wagon are of no real use to terrorists?
I thought the stuff that terrorists might like always had a coach carrying armed soldiers or similar people, aswell as them riding on the locos?
I thought that at most there was 3 or 4 nuclear flask trains a day?

I think some early trains had brakevans for purposes of carrying police, but that was stopped a while back. If you watch the 45 crashing into the flask you'll see it is practically impossible to get to the dangerous stuff by hitting it or exploding things. From the point of view of the terrorists there are much easier ways of getting hold of radioactive stuff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sprog

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
..........From the point of view of the terrorists there are much easier ways of getting hold of radioactive stuff.

International arms traders.........plain and simple.

As for the coaches, as far as i know, they where reserved for larger/more sensitve 'commercial' workings and Militaty workings, with trains convering nuclear waste from Royal Navy nuclear Submarines for recycling at Sellafieild for example.

They where usually armed guards (police) or in the case of military workings, Soldiers armed to the teeth. However, i havent seen a 'Nuke' train with a 'guard coach' on person and. as Cockfosters said, i think it was generally done away with some time ago.........

eezypeazy

Cockfosters said:
Coal wouldn't have run out quite so soon if maggie hadn't closed all the pits...
Good point.... I believe that we're actually sitting on millions of tons of coal under the UK - it's just that the economics of getting it out make it expensive, relative to gas and nuclear, when it comes to producing electricity and gas from it.

In the 1980s, British Gas perfected coal gasification, and was selling the technology to China, where they have lots of coal, but less natural gas. Coal gasification can now be done much more cleanly than we were doing it for much of the last century.

The same applies to electricity generation. We have the technology to produce electricity from coal much more cleanly than ever before, and with poorer quality coal, too.

At the end of the day, whatever we as a country does will come down to politics and economics. The NIMBYs don't want to live next door to power stations, however they are fuelled; nor do they want new coal mines or open cast sites. There are supply security problems if you rely on other countries (Russia for gas, France for electricity) for supplies. There are safety and environmental impacts as a result of whichever route is taken.

Personally, I would like to see government subsidy for domestic installations of solar power arrays (for electricity), heating panels (for hot water), and, perhaps, research into using solar-powered battery arrays to store domestic electricity - think about it: we only use mains voltages because it's easier to transmit - how many of our appliances transform it down to 12v to actually use it?

A greener, more energy efficient world might be possible, if only we get some joined-up thinking to make it happen.

eezypeazy

Coxster

Established Member
Do they actually expect poeople to believe the stickers are genuine? The government are hardly going to admit it is a high-risk danger to travel on the same route as the flasks, even if it was true :rolleyes:

The one at Wandsworth Road has been ripped and a comment made below it...

NuclearRailRoute.JPG

Tom B

Established Member
Surely it is misrepresentation to put such posters up purporting to be from the Government?

Sprog

Established Member
A GENIUS suggestion form a member of WNXX:

47643@WNXX said:
Perhaps someone should hire an empty, decontaminated flask container from BNFL and crane it into the grounds of Greenpeace overnight, and cover the walls, windows and doors of the outside of their HQ with
"GET BACK IN YOUR PLANTPOT- IT'S SAFER BY RAIL" stickers. Or similar.

That'd get them chewing. :D

ID PAY TO SEE THAT! :D:D:D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: <D

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
eezypeazy said:
think about it: we only use mains voltages because it's easier to transmit - how many of our appliances transform it down to 12v to actually use it?
But if your house was wired for 12 volts, you would be decreasing efficiency due to increased loss of energy as heat.

Your cables would get very hot if a lot of power was required (due to much higher currents - 20 times less potential difference would mean 20 times more current for the same energy output).

Tom B

Established Member
*scribbles*

V=IR

let v=230 volts and R=300 ohms

I=0.766 amperes (3sf)

now let v=12 amperes and R=300 ohms

I=0.04 amperes (3sf)

Besides elementry science, surely if you're using 12v appliances (even bulbs are 12v in some cases now) it would make sense to use 12v generated power. Individual people can do a lot to help, making themselves less requiring of the grid (and :. saving them money), where the govt perhaps can't...

Derek Kaye

Ironic though it may be, I havn't seen any stickers saying that nuclear flask trains travel on this route, and theres 2 or 3 a day! I can even see Seallafield out of the window as I type this, and will pass through in 35mins time. I will keep an eye out for stickers, but I doubt they can be bothered to come all the way up to Cumbria :P

Tom B

Established Member
Of course, it doesn't matter as it's not in London :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.