• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Numbers I Missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernrail

Hi All,
While travelling from Newcastle-Durham today we passed a yard level with the Angel Of The North, don't ask me what it was called because i have no idea, in the yard sat a EWS 60 that had just brought a train of what i think was TEA's and a poor looking 37, anyone have any idea what they were.
Also we passed a 66 hauling coal hoppers in the Durham area at about 14:40 any ideas what number it was

Any help would be greatly appreciated

EDIT: we called in at Leeds Midland Road on the car journey back and a 70 was in the shed, anyone know the number

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tirphil

The yard by The Angel of the North is Tyne Yard. The 60 with the TEA's would be The Jarrow Tanks. Can't help identify the loco's though.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Aye, good old Tyne Yard. If the 37 was in EWS livery, then it was would be 37427, which has been in store there for a while (but not nearly as long as the former French 37/0s that have gradually been cleared out over the last couple of years) and is being prepared for movement elsewhere.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Aye, good old Tyne Yard. If the 37 was in EWS livery, then it was would be 37427, which has been in store there for a while (but not nearly as long as the former French 37/0s that have gradually been cleared out over the last couple of years) and is being prepared for movement elsewhere.

Tyne Yard is not even a shadow of its former self. :cry:

tirphil

Used to be THREE shunters cabins manned when I first took a train there. Last time I went there was only the North End manned.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Trainspotting was never this easy when I was a lad...

agreed - and it was very hard to get any gen! Imagine what it would have been like in the 80's with internet and mobiles! (you had to beg a nice bloke to let you even look at the TOPS machine!)

tbtc

Veteran Member
agreed - and it was very hard to get any gen! Imagine what it would have been like in the 80's with internet and mobiles! (you had to beg a nice bloke to let you even look at the TOPS machine!)

I don't have to imagine, I was there. I remember seeing several blue engines flash past me too fast for me to jot down the numbers and therefore not knowing with certainty what to tick off...

...and the question of "am I going to take a picture* or write down the number"...

...much simpler nowadays.

* - and wait a week to get the prints to see what it was!

Roylang

I don't have to imagine, I was there. I remember seeing several blue engines flash past me too fast for me to jot down the numbers and therefore not knowing with certainty what to tick off...

...and the question of "am I going to take a picture* or write down the number"...

How true. The only Class 47s I never saw for definate (leaving aside the 4 very early casualties) was 47001. 99% certain I saw it once, but....

Roy

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Now you can sit at home, log on, check out some gen and go and see what you need.

Then - all day in the cold either at a station or stood next to the line somewhere and seeing nothing!

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Trainspotting was never this easy when I was a lad...

But the magic moments for me were seeing 24082 passing through Willesden in 1981 and seeing 44005 at Stoke on Trent in 1979,I will never forget them.Also being hauled by 55007 Pinza to York in 1979,I never realised how lucky I was.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.