• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NXEA New Timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Looking at the new NXEA great eastern timetables, the only changes I can see are that trains no longer join/divide at Colchester. Are these trains really run with different units now or is this just a way of simplifying notation, as most of the timings seem to be the same. This change in notation mean that Harwich Town loses its through service from London in the evening peak.

Also, why are the timetables for until December 2012 when the franchise expires in February 2012. Will Abellio Greater Anglia continue using these timetables until December 2012 or will they be changed again?

The 1702 Liv St. - Norwich and 1930 return are currently 321 worked (although 317/6/8 have been seen before) and will go over to 317/7 operation in December apparently. If AGA withdraw the 317/7s will this train be operated by lovely 317/6s or dreadful 321s afterwards, and has it been confirmed that the 317/7s are the ones to be withdrawn or does this just seem likely?

Any information is greatly appreciated :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

My friend is a guard for NXEA and he worked it last week when i was with him and it was class 317 operated, it is DOO from London - Colchester on the 17:02 Norwich service and Colchester - London on the 19:30 Norwich - london service.

The units booked for the above service are 317/7, but when i travelled on it, it was formed of 2x 317/6 & 1x 317/8.

The timetables wont change only the style of it changing from NXEA to Abeillio, as the timetable is set until Dec 12.

Last edited:

SprinterMan

Established Member
My friend is a guard for NXEA and he worked it last week when i was with him and it was class 317 operated, it is DOO from London - Colchester on the 17:02 Norwich service and Colchester - London on the 19:30 Norwich - london service.

The units booked for the above service are 317/7, but when i travelled on it, it was formed of 2x 317/6 & 1x 317/8.

The timetables wont change only the style of it changing from NXEA to Abeillio, as the timetable is set until Dec 12.

After the 317/7s are withdrawn, will 317/6/8s or 321s be the norm?

dk1

Veteran Member
1P60 19.30 Liverpool St-Norwich will have the Chelmsford stop withdrawn. This will be welcomed by other passengers as this train can be badly crowded especially thursday & fridays.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Ask Abellio...

I have done.......

Dear Abellio Greater Anglia,
It has been reported in numerous pieces of railway literature that you intend to withdraw 9 4-car EMUs (36 carriages in total) from the Greater Anglia Fleet.
Is it known what units these will be? I have heard a rumour that the Class 317/7 sub-fleet will be withdrawn and placed in store. What is the reason for this withdrawal and where does it leave the 1702 London Liverpool Street - Norwich and 1930 Norwich - London Liverpool Street. Will this be worked by other Class 317s (/5s, /6s or /8s) or will it return to dreadful Class 321 operation. Any information will be greatly appreciated and I am looking forward to you taking over the franchise from National Express.
Regards, Adam

Dear Mr Barnhard,

With regard to your questions below i would like to refer to Abellio's media statement below:

There will be no reduction of services with no changes to the December 2011 timetable and no increase in crowding. Capacity on the network will increase compared to today’s timetable and on some of the busiest routes by the introduction of new trains in December. From February 2012 there will be 92 additional carriages in service compared to today and there will be 8 carriages less in service than within the December 2011 timetable. This is the net effect of currently under-utilised rolling stock in the franchise and new stock deployment over the next few months, which enables us to return 36 carriages to be made available elsewhere on the network to manage overcrowding. None of these changes will impact the West Anglia, Rural, Intercity or Metro services.

with kind regards,

Niki James

They didn't tell me.

ginger

we have tried to answer this tongue twister in the other Abelio GA thread......let's have another go......

Quote:

From Feb 2012 there will be 92 additional carriages in service compared to today

Unquote

This quote was made in October......can anyone tell me where theese 92 additional carriages are coming from? At this time all the additional (disgusting) ex LM 321s are in service and all the Cl 379s are in service.......so the HLOS amendment have been complied with.....

What are these people talking about? They have made stupid press statements that dont make any sense, and seem to refuse to discuss anything in a coherant manner?

If their management is as good as their PR then god help us all........

And on today's BBC local news all the MPs are meeting ABGA management today to find out what the hell is going on......if the MPs are up in arms already then this is nota good start!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Perhaps they're quickly taking a load of trains out of service, but then in a couple of months putting the very same ones back in service - so they can immediately announce more services.

They must have seen that trick pulled by the supermarkets with pricing (put price up, then 'slash' it later on).

Orange Box

This quote was made in October......can anyone tell me where theese 92 additional carriages are coming from? At this time all the additional (disgusting) ex LM 321s are in service and all the Cl 379s are in service.......so the HLOS amendment have been complied with.....
As it seems to be:

At the moment a number of 317s are spare having been released by 379s, some of the planned December stregthening has been brought forward and many WA trains have been increased from 4 to 8 cars in advance of this December, the remainder of the 317s are all diagrammed out again from December - thats the extra 100 carriages against today which Abellio are reducing to 92. Quite which "no overcrowding" unit diagrams they have identified to rip out is another question and that the 321 fleet is already diagrammed pretty near sensible limits and shortforms are far from rare.

Effectively from December on the GE, NXEA are diagramming 9 extra units from the existing fleet whilst Abellio will come in and diagram 7 extra units from a fleet of 9 less units.

Fairy Dust Time?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'm guessing it also relies on the long term out-of-service units being brought back from the dead?

iphone76

I'm dreading this winter on the GE side (Southend). For the last two weeks I have been late into and out of Liverpool Street due to various train faults and this is before the real cold sets in.

I hope they have made suitable alterations to the motors so they do not burn out again should be have snow this year.

Still - the fun kicks in next week when almost all mainline trains stop at Stratford and the year long evening M-W engineering works begin.

dk1

Veteran Member
Now looks like the top/tail cl47 local set will be with us until at least May 2012.

MCR247

Established Member
Link doesn't work since it seems to be a shortened version?

I hope they have made suitable alterations to the motors so they do not burn out again should be have snow this year./QUOTE]

We were told a few months back that Ilford Depot have come up with a "new" feature that they have (or should have by now) fitted to all 317 and 321 units to stop the motors shorting out like they did last year.

I don't remember what it is or how it works (I'll try and see if I can find the news letter it was in when I get into work in the morning) but NX reckon we shouldn't in theory get the same problems we got last year/this year.

I'm praying we don't anyway!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
So a more intensive use, and one diagram 4 cars shorter than it will be this coming Monday

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So a more intensive use, and one diagram 4 cars shorter than it will be this coming Monday

92.4% utilisation of the fleet rather than the current 90%.

So the chap who posts suggesting 95% is realistic for an EMU fleet should be pleased...

Shouldn't that be four diagrams four cars shorter though, as the numbers are of units not vehicles...

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Operators love to talk "vehicles" when bringing in more trains as the numbers are more impressive.

As aside, does anyone know what off-peak Cambridge services will use 379s? The published extracts for each station showing what each service will use on the West Anglia only show the 12-car, peak-time, services.

Established Member
92.4% utilisation of the fleet rather than the current 90%.

So the chap who posts suggesting 95% is realistic for an EMU fleet should be pleased...

Shouldn't that be four diagrams four cars shorter though, as the numbers are of units not vehicles...
There is a world of difference in what you can expect from the Northampton 350 fleet and Ilfords collection of thrashed to death 1980s carts!

So with four diagrams less (double the original quote, and I really wonder what trains they have identified to shorten) that leaves only three extra diagrams to cover, which is probably doable on paper - but then in reality there are already frequent shortforms and overhaul/refresh programmes to cover.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Now looks like the top/tail cl47 local set will be with us until at least May 2012.

Is the unit shortage still that bad?
Do we know whats going on with 156417 at the moment, and do they still have the ATW 150.

dk1

Veteran Member
Is the unit shortage still that bad?
Do we know whats going on with 156417 at the moment, and do they still have the ATW 150.

57417 has been on the stops of 10rd at Crown Point for weeks. Will try to find out why it has not been semi-permanently attatched to a 153 which was the original plan.

As for 150280, oh yes. very much in use on Norwich local routes. Only Norwich crews sign so it doesnt stray far although it did reach Cambridge last week.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Operators love to talk "vehicles" when bringing in more trains as the numbers are more impressive.

As aside, does anyone know what off-peak Cambridge services will use 379s? The published extracts for each station showing what each service will use on the West Anglia only show the 12-car, peak-time, services.

I was under the impression that most (if not all) CBG trains will be 379s after the timetable change.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's not enough for that. As far as I know, the Stansted Express takes up nine 2-unit sets, with a tenth spare. That's 20 units. Three of the peak services from Cambridge in the morning, and three back in the evening, all of which will be in motion at the same time at some point, will be 12 car 379 (three units each) which accounts for 9 more units, plus a single further spare unit. That's 30- the whole fleet.
This is the AM peak formations
This is the PM, return, peak formations

SprinterMan

Established Member
These are the diagrams for 317/7 workings on the GEML (taken from another thread):

05.52 ECS Harwich Parkeston to Ipswich (06.21)
06.29 Ipswich to Liverpool Street (07.48)
08.01 Liverpool Street to Ipswich (09.20)
09.30 Ipswich to Liverpool Street (10.44)
10.57 ECS Liverpool Street to Orient Way Carriage Sidings (11.13)
16.11 ECS Orient Way Carriage Sidings to Liverpool Street (16.38)
17.02 Liverpool Street to Norwich (19.07)
19.30 Norwich to Liverpool Street (21.18)
22.00 Liverpool Street to Ipswich (23.08)
23.15 ECS Ipswich to Harwich International (23.38)
23.45 ECS Harwich International to Harwich Parkeston (23.50)

07.10 ECS Harwich Parkeston to Stowmarket (07.59)
08.11 Stowmarket to Liverpool Street (09.38)
09.45 ECS Liverpool Street to Ilford Depot (10.09)
18.46 ECS Ilford Depot to Liverpool Street (19.09)
19.32 Liverpool Street to Harwich International (20.50)
21.20 ECS Harwich International to Harwich Parkeston (21.25)

Do they work any other services as well as these, and what stock forms the 07.05 Stowmarket to Liverpool Street if not 317/7s?

Also, any links to pictures of 317/7s on Norwich/GEML runs will be much appreciated. :)

iphone76

The 7.05 from Stowmarket is formed of 3 x class 360's.

Unfortunately, it is late most days by the time it passes shenfield as we usually have to sit outside shenfield waiting for it, and the Norwich train behind it to pass us. (I'm usually on the 8.03 from WIC to LST)

Status
Not open for further replies.