• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NXEC Reservations etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieb87

Question from a long time lurker.

Me and the Mrs are off up to Edinburgh early september.

We have booked seats on the 0900 Kings cross to Glasgow central, our seat nos are: Coach: D Seats: 23A, 25A. That doesnt sound like they will be together to me which isnt to my liking, can anyone shed a little light on NXEC seating arrangements? and how to change reservations if its possible?

Thanks Alot

Also does anybody happen to know whether it is HST or 91?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andylloyd

Hi there Jamie,
In realation to your first question:
It sounds to me that that is a table option, sitting opposite of each other.
How did you book the tickets? Via phone or internet? Either way drop them a line on the respective telephone numbers ;)

In relation to your 2nd question about traction.
You will be on a Electric 91 Mallard service.

Hope this helps you :)

Kind Regards

Andy

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
09:00 is 1S09 normally a Class 91 and Mark 4 set

Coach D Seats 23 and 25
These are window seats at a table, opposite each other
Providing the set is operating with the Class 91 at the front, then seat 23 is facing and seat 25 is back
They are on the East side of the set

The aisle seats are 24 and 26

These are probably the best seats in the house to be honest, almost aligned with a window and half way between the buffet and loco

However, I'd recommend you get there early, otherwise the people with seats 24 and 26 might think they are their seats!

Jamieb87

that was fast, cheers mate.

I booked on t'internet

Doesnt the A after the seat no. indicate Airline? or am i being stupid as per normal.

The internet seems starved of mallard seating plans, does such a thing exist?

andylloyd

that was fast, cheers mate.

I booked on t'internet

Doesnt the A after the seat no. indicate Airline? or am i being stupid as per normal.

The internet seems starved of mallard seating plans, does such a thing exist?

A does not mean a thing, just got back from London and my seats were 43 & 45.

Best to call the internet support team and see what they can do for you ;)

Mallard plans dissapeared about a year and a half ago when all the DVT's and Power Cars were lettered.

Cheers

Andy

Jamieb87

:) the people in 24 and 26 will be moving...

wont be able to get there that early as we're arriving into paddington at 0815 and i cant imagine the tube being much fun at that time...

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
Mallard plans dissapeared about a year and a half ago when all the DVT's and Power Cars were lettered.
NXEC reissued the current (replacement) seating plans just last month
There were a few anomolies, as some sets still had the old numbering, but all those sets have now had those seats renumbered

I have to admit, NXEC have been far more proactive in getting the correct and accurate information out as quick as possible
I received a set from FGW, but the person printing them out either couldn't be bothered or didn't notice that it was in portrait when it should have been printed in landscape!

Jamieb87

Ah FGW, are they good at anything? other than consistantly awful customer service?

I dont think a good words ever been said...

On that note, I have been reading that NXEC tend to mess up reservations, any truth behind it or just a few bad experiences?

rail-britain

Established Member
Occasionally NXEC mess up reservations, but that should be resolved now
The main problem was they were allocating people to the seats in the gangway!
This happened to me once on a block booking with 14 people
I went straight to the train manager and negotiated having us all upgraded to FC as it was pretty much empty, so that we could all sit together and have a meeting
Have to admit I had cheated on that one, as I had already been to coach M to see how empty it was!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
All NXEC seats are "A" since the GNER HST refurb in the late 1990s, I believe.

MML and XC still use "F" (forward) and "B" (back) for table seats, although it is far from uncommon for them to be the wrong way round for the actual journey (for journeys via Leeds on Sundays or through journeys via Nottingham any time they are going to be "wrong" for at least part of the journey guaranteed).

Waverley125

23 & 25 are across a table from each other. You will have a 91 as you're going into Central. IIRC they used to operate HSTs into Queen Street, but had to swap as the Wiring on the Airedale line deteriorated, so it can no longer support a 91 and the London-Skipton service is now an HST.

me123

Established Member
There are occasional HSTs to Glasgow, but this is usually in event of a failure or some other reason that only an HST is available. The 91s are much more common, however.

Whilst we're on the topic, what about seats E3&5, and E43+45? When booking I requested two seats at a table beside a window; is this the case for both these seating pairs? And will I be sitting opposite my travelling partner?

A60K

IIRC they used to operate HSTs into Queen Street, but had to swap as the Wiring on the Airedale line deteriorated, so it can no longer support a 91 and the London-Skipton service is now an HST.
Correct that the ECML Glasgow services used to be HSTs, and Skipton services are HSTs running under the wires all the way from London, but to clarify and add to this - there was no connection between the two events:
* Glasgow services prior to the ECML electricfication in 1991 were infrequent 2+7 HSTs, which only just fitted in at Glasgow Queen Street, and even then only in platforms 6 and 7 IIRC. The pointwork and tunnel mouth at Queen Street prevent any longer trains using the station and would be very expensive and difficult to fix.
* As the 91+Mk4+DVT (225) combination would be too long to fit at Queen Street, the Intercity sector hit upon the idea of electrfying Haymarket to Carstairs quite cheaply. This linked the ECML and WCML electric networks and meant that through services from the ECML could continue to run to Glasgow, but into Glasgow Central instead (and mostly through open countryside rather than the small and medium sized towns on the route to Queen Street).
* Therefore, from the start of full ECML electric services, the Glasgow services no longer served Queen Street and were formed of 225 sets - very rarely did HSTs run through to Glasgow, generally only because of stock displacement or engineering work. The service to Glasgow increased from a couple of trains a day to one every two hours or so.
* The electricfication to Skipton and Ilkley was unrelated to the ECML project - it was a WYPTE project to improve the quality and capacity of the local services on the Airedale and Wharfedale routes.
* Prior to ECML electricifcation there were a few through services to Bradford and to Harrogate, but none to Skipton. The WYPTE electrification was seen as a way of improving InterCity services to Bradford, but the idea of running through trains from London to Skipton was formed almost as an afterthought to the WYPTE electrication, not as an integral part of it.
* As a result, the electrical supply was designed only to allow basic EMU traction out to Skipton. When a 225 set was tested out to Skipton, it caused an unacceptable drop in the current available in the overhead, such that other electric trains beyond Keighley would pretty much be stopped.
* Therefore to keep the plan of through trains to Skipton they would either have to be loco-hauled from Leeds, be HSTs, or if 225s were to run the timetable would have needed complete recasting to only have one train running between Keighley and Skipton - leading to the situation today with HSTs forming the Skipton service.

rail-britain

Established Member
* Glasgow services prior to the ECML electricfication in 1991 were infrequent 2+7 HSTs, which only just fitted in at Glasgow Queen Street, and even then only in platforms 6 and 7 IIRC. The pointwork and tunnel mouth at Queen Street prevent any longer trains using the station and would be very expensive and difficult to fix
Glasgow QS - London Kings Cross services were actually full length 8 car sets
They would normally arrive in Platform 6, trapping trains in Platforms 5, and 7 or arrive in Platform 2, trapping trains in Platform 1, 3, and 4
As a result the service would pretty much choke the station so if it was late would have knock on consequences
There was only one early morning service, which operated Edinburgh - Glasgow QS, then Glasgow QS - London
There were two evening services, which operated London - Glasgow QS, then Glasgow QS - Edinburgh

On a Saturday the early morning service was operated by a traditional Class 47/7 and ScotRail express set
There was a later service which was a Cross Country HST, but it was southbound only
This was later replaced for one year by a Class 47 InterCity service from Inverness, with a further Class 47 top and tail to Carstairs

A60K

Ah, thanks - I'm getting my HST lengths mixed up - did the ECML sets start off as 7 trailers and later get lengthened to 8, or was that only on the Great Western?

I remember the few times I used the services coming into platform 6, didn't realise platform 2 was regularly used as well.

Thinking back I'm guessing there were around 4 or 5 less movements an hour at QS in 1990 - since then Maryhill services, extra Cumbernauld, extra Edinburgh services. What was difficult to operate then would be just about impossible today, given the way the platforms were blocked by HSTs.

Do the platform lengths at Queen Street preclude the operation of 3x170 sets? A few of those would be useful at busy times such as international rugby at Murrayfield on Saturdays - many away supporters seem to stay in Glasgow, or come through there, and I've been in queues going all the way round the car park!

djw1981

Established Member
Ah, thanks - I'm getting my HST lengths mixed up - did the ECML sets start off as 7 trailers and later get lengthened to 8, or was that only on the Great Western?

I remember the few times I used the services coming into platform 6, didn't realise platform 2 was regularly used as well.

Thinking back I'm guessing there were around 4 or 5 less movements an hour at QS in 1990 - since then Maryhill services, extra Cumbernauld, extra Edinburgh services. What was difficult to operate then would be just about impossible today, given the way the platforms were blocked by HSTs.

Do the platform lengths at Queen Street preclude the operation of 3x170 sets? A few of those would be useful at busy times such as international rugby at Murrayfield on Saturdays - many away supporters seem to stay in Glasgow, or come through there, and I've been in queues going all the way round the car park!

Maximum normal service is a 6 car (2x3car 170). p7 may take more but not normally.

For rugby etc they run the 15 min service of 6car trains. From 2010, there is a plan for 6 services per hour to EDB via this route, polus a new hournly fast service from Central via Shotts, the current hourly stopper via Shotts, plus a 2hourly service via Carstairs and a half-hourly service via Airdrie & Bathgate. So by then there could be 8 services from GLQ-EDB (journey times 45min-90min) and 3 from Central (journey time 60-90 min).

Most fans are used to the rugby situation though, and plan to make a day of it, so the 'peak' is spread. Football matches in the evening are more of an issue, as the return can mean that the 2230, 2300, and 2330 servcies are very crowdd. It ahs been known after concerts etc for FSR to run additional 0001 services.

laseandre

Established Member
Yes, p7 was used for the Deltic tour, which was the Deltic+40 with 7 coaches in between.

rail-britain

Established Member

Yes, it was just the Great Western HSTs that were adjusted after delivery, all the ECML ones were 8 coaches

In the 1990s the approaches to Glasgow QS were resignalled, increasing the number of movements along the Cowlairs section
Axle counters were also fitted thus preventing longer trains entering the shorter platforms and warning of "oversize trains"
Most recently the longest train has been : 158+158+170
Due to flooding at Falkirk and severe delays, along with a reduction in frequency, a peak hour service had one of its Class 170s replaced by a pair of Class 158s, rather than the usual Class 170

Status
Not open for further replies.