• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Occasions where TOCs and FOCS regularly cover others work

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeeker

Drivers sleeping on the train sounds like you need must need quite some commitment to the job. How do they manage for food, washing, change of clothes etc? Is it part of the shift or between shifts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SeanG

Part of the shift. Techincally they are working, but if you are just sat there waiting, may as well get your head down

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Drivers sleeping on the train sounds like you need must need quite some commitment to the job. How do they manage for food, washing, change of clothes etc? Is it part of the shift or between shifts?
It's a rostered night shift. It's just that there's nothing to do for a big stretch in the middle so whilst you're not doing anything you might as well grab an hour or two of sleep. There used to be one (and still might be) on LNER where the driver of the 2300 from Kings Cross to York (arriving 0133) would then work the 0440 from York to Kings Cross (arriving 0701). That's all the work that there was for that duty. So why not get some sleep on board between about 0200 and 0400?

pompeyfan

Established Member

It’s reasonably common, I can think of at least 3 night turns at my TOC. It’s not so much sleeping on trains, more a case of being at work from 22:00 - 05:00, and the ability to get your head down in the comfy seats for a few hours. If you needed to eat you’d likely take a packed lunch, flask etc and use the on board facilities. You’d report for work in your uniform and remain in those clothes until you got home.

matt_world2004

Established Member
They are called spreadpvers typically. The x26 bus used to have a spreadover at the depot in Green Street Green. The last x26 bus would return to depot. The driver sat there for two hours and then drove the first duty out. I don't know what the pay arrangements were but I believe they got the standard deduction for lunch break and then an hour's paid break the break would often be shortened If the bus came in late or had to leave early for whatever reason (Eg road works. )

Some London Underground rosters have spreadovers too .I believe Heathrow on the piccadilly was one the last train would go into terminal 5 and be the first train out the next day with the driver having a break in the Heathrow express mess room.

There's a spreadover duty at elephant and castle on the bakerloo and I believe Brixton on the Victoria as well.

I believe now old oak is closed there are some spreadovers on the GwR at Paddington too.

dk1

Veteran Member
It's just a shift. You are obviously being paid right through its just there is nothing to do. No commitment whatsoever mate.

JN114

Established Member
I believe now old oak is closed there are some spreadovers on the GwR at Paddington too.

None at Paddington.

When the Sleeper ECS moves came back from being temporarily crewed by FLHH drivers, it was once again covered by Paddington HSS drivers - a late shift driver brings the empties T&T from Reading to Padd, a night shift driver travels PASS with the train to Reading, and takes the pilot engine to Reading TCD. They’re then at a loose end until they have to head back down and bring the pilot engine back off to attach to the rear of the up. In practice the engine normally stays in Reading station, usually one of the West Bays, granting a good few hours downtime.

Before TfL Rail took over Heathrow Connect formally in May 2018, TfL drivers could be found covering Heathrow Connect services on an ad-hoc basis as part of the work up towards them taking the service over - it was a good 6 months to a year of it. Similarly, although now strictly the same operator; there are Heathrow Express drivers working occasional GWR LTV services to maintain 387 competence now they’ve largely been trained up on them.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Another piece of nostalgia at Worcester shrub Hill: Back in the days of Central trains, prior to London Midland taking over, you had Central Trains drivers working Turbos over the Cotswolds to Oxford, especially the first and last services.
There's a fairly interesting story behind that, to do with the 159s going to NSE instead of bolstering the Regional Railways fleet. In the end it all came down to money on the balance sheet and the cheapest way of achieving a new set of trains for Waterloo to Exeter was to add three 16x onto the NSE order and they operate the Regional Railways route from Worcester to Oxford, but with Regional Railways supplying the traincrew. I think its in 'The Regional Railways Story'.

Dren Ahmeti

Food-wise, there is a 24 hour KFC/McDonalds nearby that some drivers take a liking to! ;)

Stigy

Established Member
I believe GWR drivers will (soon be?) in agreement with SWR (presumably just on the routes they already sign and on 159s only as GWR drivers won't sign any other SWR traction).

TEW

Established Member
I believe GWR drivers will (soon be?) in agreement with SWR (presumably just on the routes they already sign and on 159s only as GWR drivers won't sign any other SWR traction).
The new SWR pay deal allows for drivers of other TOCs (GWR/Crossrail) to driver SWR services for a limited period of time, it expires in May 2021 and is explicitly to allow for 701 driver training, so would not likely be 159s. As such, it's unlikely it would ever be used.

pompeyfan

Established Member
The new SWR pay deal allows for drivers of other TOCs (GWR/Crossrail) to driver SWR services for a limited period of time, it expires in May 2021 and is explicitly to allow for 701 driver training, so would not likely be 159s. As such, it's unlikely it would ever be used.
is the thought that MTR or GWR drivers would do a Reading to Waterloo and back or something?

TEW

Established Member
is the thought that MTR or GWR drivers would do a Reading to Waterloo and back or something?
Something like that presumably, but by the time you've trained enough drivers on the stock and route the agreement will nearly have expired.

trolleyman

GWR Drivers already sign 159s but can’t see it being used, but agree can’t see it being used due to limited route knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.