• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Odd trains at Birmingham New St (BHM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutty

Hi, first time poster, long time train forum appreciative.

This morning at BHM I saw a Cross country voyager with bombardier traction liveried units on platform 5. Is this a new set?

On my way home at about 16:58 I saw some (possibly) mk3 coaches, with unknown traction? Maybe a XCC pretendolino?

Anyway, thanks for being an awesome source of information of interest.

I'm not a spotter, more of a 'rail enthusiast" but I do wonder what these trains were!

Si

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanPooleTrains

Established Member

This morning at BHM I saw a Cross country voyager with bombardier traction liveried units on platform 5. Is this a new set?

On my way home at about 16:58 I saw some (possibly) mk3 coaches, with unknown traction? Maybe a XCC pretendolino?

I'm not a spotter, more of a 'rail enthusiast" but I do wonder what these trains were!

Si

The Bombadier liveried units on P5 might have been P4c and that would have been Virgin Trains 221115 'Polmadie Depot'

As for the mk3 coaches, that might have been a HST if it was in Cross Country livery

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I knbow there's a BOMBARDIER-liveried Virgin Voyager, but p5 seems a bit out of it's territory, doubt it'd be a AXC set.
The 'Pretendolino' would again have been VT stock, on the run from Euston towards Crewe (?)

mumrar

Established Member
Virgin's standby Voyager at New Street usually resides in the engine siding between 5 and 6, on many occassions now it has been the Bombardier set. Other carriage seen was the mk3 charter/relief set operated by VWC.

Quite a few freights use [stn]BHM[/stn] out of PAX hours.

For instance the Colas steels from WWH to Boston runs via [stn]BHM[/stn] on its outward journey.

I know of a few liners that also use [stn]BHM[/stn].

I recall seeing pairs of 37's on steels and oil trains as a kid.

sutty

Hi, guys

Thanks for your replies, so promptly as well.

The Bombardier liveried train was definitely not 4c as I'd just stepped off a LM on that platform. It had black all around its windows as well, as though something was missing.

The HST into BHM was also 100% XCC as I made sure as I wanted to ask right here, except I had to faff with my BlackBerry to sign up! ;)

MCR247

Established Member
Well it was an XC HST then :)

And the Bombardier 221 is VT :)

mumrar

Established Member
Hi, guys

Thanks for your replies, so promptly as well.

The Bombardier liveried train was definitely not 4c as I'd just stepped off a LM on that platform. It had black all around its windows as well, as though something was missing.
I'm glad the Bombardier Voyager wasn't on 4c - it wouldn't fit for a starter :) As I said earlier, usually the middle road between platforms 5 and 6 is where the VT standby set goes, so probably was there.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Si

Welcome to the forum obviously :) but everyone else answered you so.... just hi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.