• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oddest Coupled Trains you have seen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
I've seen on FGW 153 + 150/1 + 153; corridor connection just between the middle two coaches. Decidedly inconvenient for ticket inspection purposes, I'd have thinked.
I doubt it'd ever be done, but would it be possible to split the 150 up and put the two 153s in the middle?

(Come to think of it, it probably can be as I'm sure I recall seeing half a 150 joined with a 153 at some point...)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I doubt it'd ever be done, but would it be possible to split the 150 up and put the two 153s in the middle?

(Come to think of it, it probably can be as I'm sure I recall seeing half a 150 joined with a 153 at some point...)

It wouldn't be done for a daily diagram, but it could be achieved for a longer term formation. As you point out 150 and 153 units have been seen together, see 153399.

CC 72100

Established Member

I was also thinking that for a longer term formation. Most services in Devon are either 2 car DMU, 3 car DMU (Pacer/ 150 + 153) and 4 car (2x pacer, more rarely 2x150) So yes, I think you could have a 150 with a 153 in as a centre car, especially on 150/1s given their lack of corridor connection (plus I could go and sit and the nice 153 and not the awful 150/1 ;) ) Not sure whether it would be possible from a technical viewpoint though.

That 150 joined with a 153 is 153399. Ah, beat to it! :oops:

Schnellzug

Established Member

yes, they have run half a 150+153 on occasion when one car of a 150 set has been out of order.

dubscottie

I'll raise you a 56 propelling two EPBs in passenger service.

Photo has been posted twice before on the forum, but I can post it up again if you can't find it on a search... :)

Could the 56 be controlled from the EPB? Have seen many pics in railway mags. Seemed to happen every winter there was snow! And it was always 56's doing the pushing.

Always wondered if it was the red diamond coupling code or the higher air output (like 47/7) that made them preferable to a 33 or 73.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Personally, when IEP comes available, it would make sense to cascade the displaced HST's onto XC, then cascade the Voyagers to where they are needed (clearance depending), for example, Manchester - South Wales services, Norwich - Liverpool, Diesel TPE services, instead of this shortened HST senario

I don't see why not, LM used to use 150/2 cab cars as middle cars and 150/1 cabs on either end. I would think it would be easier to have a 153+150+153 or 153+153+150 formation

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Could the 56 be controlled from the EPB? Have seen many pics in railway mags. Seemed to happen every winter there was snow! And it was always 56's doing the pushing.

Always wondered if it was the red diamond coupling code or the higher air output (like 47/7) that made them preferable to a 33 or 73.

No idea on either question, sorry! But I did also get a 47/3 propelling a pair of CEPs from Charing Cross to Cannon Street the same day, but didn't get a picture of it. In that instance I believe it was to reverse the train so that the 47/3 would be leading.

AndyLandy

Established Member
I don't see why not, LM used to use 150/2 cab cars as middle cars and 150/1 cabs on either end. I would think it would be easier to have a 153+150+153 or 153+153+150 formation

As far as I understand it, it's possible to mix-n-match all the different 15x vehicles. You might have to do something a little more clever if you're splitting units, but if you wanted to put a 153 in the middle of a 158, it's probably possible. Of course, it always feels like a bit of a waste if you're attaching a 90mph-capable Express Sprinter to a 75mph-capable (Super) Sprinter.

lewisf

I've always thought that class 455/7s look odd because of their 508 trailer.

I'm sure at one point there were units made up of one 158 driving car and one 150 driving car because the disc brakes on the 158s meant that the wheels weren't getting cleaned and they were failing to operate track circuits.

Hydro

Established Member
Some of the NMT HST trailers are going to be put between two barriers and loco hauled at some point on the GE - if it hasn't already, that is. The proposed date has escaped me.

Yew

Established Member
Some of the NMT HST trailers are going to be put between two barriers and loco hauled at some point on the GE - if it hasn't already, that is. The proposed date has escaped me.

Is that because the NMT cant get down there? or to split up and do two jobs at once? (ie guage checking on one line, and track checking on another)

Hydro

Established Member
To circumvent restrictions on HST power cars, IIRC. Some OHLE wire wear measurement data has been requested and only the NMT's Development Vehicle has it fitted.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I'm sure at one point there were units made up of one 158 driving car and one 150 driving car because the disc brakes on the 158s meant that the wheels weren't getting cleaned and they were failing to operate track circuits.

That was a ½ and ½ 156 and 158 arrangement.

As far as I understand it, it's possible to mix-n-match all the different 15x vehicles. You might have to do something a little more clever if you're splitting units, but if you wanted to put a 153 in the middle of a 158, it's probably possible. Of course, it always feels like a bit of a waste if you're attaching a 90mph-capable Express Sprinter to a 75mph-capable (Super) Sprinter.

Yeah, I agree. It would make sense of 150 and 153s to be attached, as they both have top speeds of 75 mph

Or alternative two 153s, especially for peak times on services that are allocated a single 153 unit

Status
Not open for further replies.