• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off peak day return Edinburgh to Tweedbank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vooon

I'm really sorry if this has already been answered a million times, but after an hour of googling I still can't find the answer.

I want to buy an open return ticket from Edinburgh Waverly to Tweedbank on a monday. Virgin gives me an option to buy an off peak day return ticket. For the journey to Tweedbank all is fine, "Any off-peak train. Return same day". I can't travel earlier than 09.24, perfectly clear and works well for me.

My headache begins here: "Return: Any valid train." What does any valid train mean in this context? Any valid off peak train? Or just any valid train, off peak or not?

I want to save the 10 pounds, but I don't want to get stuck in Tweedbank until late at night because I don't grasp the concept of this ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'm really sorry if this has already been answered a million times, but after an hour of googling I still can't find the answer.

I want to buy an open return ticket from Edinburgh Waverly to Tweedbank on a monday. Virgin gives me an option to buy an off peak day return ticket. For the journey to Tweedbank all is fine, "Any off-peak train. Return same day". I can't travel earlier than 09.24, perfectly clear and works well for me.

My headache begins here: "Return: Any valid train." What does any valid train mean in this context? Any valid off peak train? Or just any valid train, off peak or not?

I want to save the 10 pounds, but I don't want to get stuck in Tweedbank until late at night because I don't grasp the concept of this ticket.

It's a off-peak ticket so outward and return portions of the ticket are for off-peak services only.

However, there are no evening peak restrictions on the Tweekbank line (only certain services out of Glasgow and Edinburgh) so you can travel back at any time.

Vooon

It's a off-peak ticket so outward and return portions of the ticket are for off-peak services only.

However, there are no evening peak restrictions on the Tweekbank line (only certain services out of Glasgow and Edinburgh) so you can travel back at any time.
Thank you! :D

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member

Any valid train means any train which the restrictions on the ticket permit you to use.

It's easy to look up the restrictions applying to a particular ticket, by going to www.brfares.com and entering the details of the ticket. If you enter Edinburgh to Tweedbank, you'll see a set of results including the Off-Peak Day Return you're considering purchasing. You'll note that under the section of "Restrictions", a two-character restriction code is mentioned - here this is code H1.

BR Fares gives a copy of the text of this restriction, but sometimes restriction texts are changed from time to time, and BR Fares (currently) only uses an archived copy so it could be out of date. So it's worthwhile checking the up-to-date restriction text at www.nationalrail.co.uk/H1. This will always be the definitive version, and it works for any restriction code in the same way. Most tickets will print the restriction code on them nowadays, either by specifically linking to the relevant www.nationalrail.co.uk page, or in smaller print in the bottom right. Obviously that's not much use before you buy the ticket!

You'll note that, on the National Rail website for the H1 restriction, under the section for Return Travel it details that there are evening peak restrictions only as follows:

Passengers are not permitted to join the following at Glasgow Queen Street or Central, Edinburgh or Haymarket:
  • any service departing after 16:42 and before 18:11, except the 17:57 Edinburgh to Glasgow via Shotts;
  • the 18:15 Edinburgh (18:21 Haymarket) to Glasgow Queen Street service;
  • the 18:15 Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh service;
  • the 18:30 Edinburgh (18:34 Haymarket) to Aberdeen service.

So if you're returning towards Edinburgh, there will be no restrictions.

Hope that helps!

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Any train simply means what it says on the tin.
The online booking engines aren't smart enough to work out which Off-Peak tickets or ticket portions have no restrictions. They can therefore only refer to something vague like "any train not restricted by the restriction code", which is often confusingly abbreviated to "any Off-Peak train".

Stating "any train" would be confusing for the vast number of Off-Peak tickets with evening peak restrictions.

Silverdale

Someone will be along shortly to tediously point out that there is no such thing as an off-peak train.

The 'concept' of an Off-Peak ticket is that is restricted for travel on services departing from or arriving at certain stations at certain times and may be further restricted on break of journey. The restrictions are so numerous and varied that those which apply to one Off-Peak ticket cannot be read across to another in any obvious way.

If you can determine the particular 2-character restriction code which applies to a particular ticket, you can check which services are restricted for your outward and return travel. In the case of your Edinburgh-Tweedbank Off-Peak Day Return, it is restriction H1, which is as @hexagon789 describes for return travel in the evening, but is set out in full if you use NRE's ticket validity finder.

Edit: Cross-posted with FTLO who describes it more fully.

Vooon

Thanks for the answers! I have to say I find parts of the UK railways booking system infuriating compared to how easy it is here in Norway. I even found the Indian railways online booking system easier to deal with than this.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks for the answers! I have to say I find parts of the UK railways booking system infuriating compared to how easy it is here in Norway. I even found the Indian railways online booking system easier to deal with than this.

I don't think the varying peak restrictions by area, line, station or operator help, in addition to there being so many different websites each with different layouts and wording.

National Rail Enquiries is probably the most "neutral" website, but even it's not perfect ;)

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Any train after 09:15 is valid with an off peak day return [CDR] from Tweedbank. In theory you generally would find in impossible to return from Tweedbank before 09:15 as you have had to leave Edinburgh at, or after, 09:15 on your outward journey. Simples.

NB no restrictions at the weekend or designated bank holidays.

Say hello if you see me on the train. I will be the one trying to sell you a plusbus ticket.

Vooon

Any train after 09:15 is valid with an off peak day return [CDR] from Tweedbank. In theory you generally would find in impossible to return from Tweedbank before 09:15 as you have had to leave Edinburgh at, or after, 09:15 on your outward journey. Simples.

NB no restrictions at the weekend or designated bank holidays.

Say hello if you see me on the train. I will be the one trying to sell you a plusbus ticket.
Hehe, didn't see you unfortunately. But we had a nice trip and didn't worry about our return trip thanks to this forum. Loved the scenery after leaving the last suburbs of Edinburgh.

ian1944

Hehe, didn't see you unfortunately. But we had a nice trip and didn't worry about our return trip thanks to this forum. Loved the scenery after leaving the last suburbs of Edinburgh.
I sometimes wonder if Edinburgh has any last suburbs. It's long since been contiguous with Musselburgh, which joins Wallyford, which now now finds Prestonpans creeping towards it along the B1361. There's little open space between Penicuik or Dalkeith and the city. On the Tweedbank line, it's only past Gorebridge that real countryside appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.