• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Off Peak Return Change of Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailwayDan

Hi everyone,

I will be travelling from Euston to Liverpool this Wednesday on an Off Peak Return with a 16-25 railcard (£46.20 - valid during peak as well I believe?).

My question is can I excess the ticket to return from Manchester instead of Liverpool? Is this a case of a zero excess + £10 admin fee?

Thanks :D I appreciate the expert advice given on this forum!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I will be travelling from Euston to Liverpool this Wednesday on an Off Peak Return with a 16-25 railcard (£46.20 - valid during peak as well I believe?).

My question is can I excess the ticket to return from Manchester instead of Liverpool? Is this a case of a zero excess + £10 admin fee?

A £10 admin fee shouldn't apply.

I'm not 100%, but is Liverpool-London valid via Manchester anyway? (So no excess required anyway).

A Zero Excess is appropriate when obtained from the ticket office before travel. Zero Excess fares are very difficult to obtain, so you may have to shop about.

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
Im on my mobile, but i do believe on a London - Liverpool ticket you may travel via Manchester, as per the permitted routes shown in the routing guide.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
London to Liverpool via Manchester is permitted on maps MA+NL. It may well be permitted on more than just those maps but as that allows Euston - Crewe - Manchester - Warrington - Liverpool which is the likely route you'd take I didn't check any further.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi everyone,

There is no excess payable, because the only options are: LM Only (which you don't have) and Any Permitted (which is the ticket you have as the price £46.20 matches that) so as long as you stick to permitted routes you do not need to pay any extra.

Permitted Routes from London Terminals to Liverpool Stations:

1. Direct trains from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street
  2. Shortest Route: via Milton Keynes, Stafford, Crewe and Runcorn
  3. Mapped Routes :
    LONDON GROUP - LIVERPOOL GROUP:

If the routes were "Not Manchester" and "Any Permitted" then an excess would be required, which would have been half the difference in price.

If Manchester was not on a permitted route then you would be deviating from route, which cannot be excessed and you would then have needed a new ticket from e.g. Crewe to Manchester.

There is no admin fee. The only time an admin fee would apply to a walk-on ticket is if you wanted to get a refund of your ticket, then you would not be able to get one as the admin fee of £10 is greater than the sum of the refund due (65p).

clagmonster

Established Member
London to Liverpool via Manchester is permitted on maps MA+NL. It may well be permitted on more than just those maps but as that allows Euston - Crewe - Manchester - Warrington - Liverpool which is the likely route you'd take I didn't check any further.
MA+ML allows:
Liverpool-(various routes)-Manchester-Stockport-Crewe-WCML-Euston
Liverpool-(various routes)-Manchester-Crewe-WCML-Euston
Liverpool-(various routes)-Manchester-Stockport-Stoke-(Stafford or the avoider)-WCML-Euston
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/Fil...http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/Maps.pdf pages 71 & 74
I believe this covers all the routes used by direct Manchester-Euston trains.

mickey

As 2 out of 3 trains EUS-MAN go via Stoke rather than Crewe I dispute the word 'likely' here. However, I do agree that the route via Manchester is valid and have done it several times. Staff on NT/EMT/TPE are well versed in such things in my experience.

RailwayDan

Fantastic, thanks for your quick replies.

So am I allowed to start short at Manchester on the return portion? I don't see how this could be enforced if not permitted but would be useful to know.

mickey

So am I allowed to start short at Manchester on the return portion? I don't see how this could be enforced if not permitted but would be useful to know.
Yes. Some of the G4S staff at MAN can be a pita, but a simple 'I broke my journey' will shut them up.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Fantastic, thanks for your quick replies.

Yes. Break of journey (including starting/finishing short) is always permitted on the return portion of Off Peak Returns. (source: The Manual).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks yorkie :) feel free to lock thread if needed.

We don't lock threads after a discussion is supposedly complete, as other people might have useful things to add to it still. If no reply is made in a period of three months, I believe, then the thread is automatically locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.