• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Officers' Special Train

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
The name Q trains, not the thing. I'm pretty sure the trains aren't fitted with missiles ;)

More's the pity!

US_14_inch_50_cal_railway_gun_Mk_II.jpg

Flamingo

Established Member
I was thinking you could fire fare dodgers and other troublemakers out of it :lol: <D

driver9000

Established Member
Are you sure that it is not a reference to the WW1 Q ships. Which pottered about looking innocent until a U-boat surfaced to sink them with its deck gun. Then let fly with hidden guns, in the hope of doing it fatal damage before it could submerge again.

I hadn't heard that explanation before, perfectly plausible and a brilliant piece of historical acknowledgement if indeed that is the origin of the name :D

9K43

There is at least one saloon ('Caroline' from memory) that has driving controls in the end windows, so it can be propelled by a loco. It is a proper saloon as well with padded chairs that are not fixed; it is quite feasible to shuffle your chair up next to the bloke at the front and find he is driving.

I have worked an officers special as the guard. We went all over W Yorkshire.
When the loco is in propelling mode, I had to sit at the big windows, with the whistle lever in front me me to warn any person on or about the line to our presence.
Next to the whisltle lever was the train brake, or as Holbeck men called it A Jigger.
If anyone failed to acknowledge my whiste the next thing was I lifted the jigger and stopped the train, as we cannot ever be too safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.