• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oh dear on the ECML

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
yeah, but it's all very well having super high tech centralised control of everything if everything can be stopped for hours on end by one thing going wrong. That's the problem with centralisation of everything, one thing going wrong can stop everything, and everyone has to wait hours while Rapid Response Squads scramble in a van from 150 miles away.* And it's exactly the same whether it's signalling or power supply. It's really not a great step forward.

* before anyone takes me literally and says "actually, they came from Peterborough, which is only 76 miles", I'm being Rhetorical

Centralisation of signalling control doesn't mean centralisation of response teams. Quite the opposite in fact.

What broke was 2 x fuses in the signalling power supply. This is just as likely to happen in a wayside signalbox controlling 5 miles of track as in a remote relay room controlling, err, 5 miles of track. With precisely the same effect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGV

So is this the folly of going electric instead of sticking to diesel? (of course assuming there were very real reasons for moving away from diesel in the first place?).

Mailman

An HST failed at Stevenage today blocking the up fast. Last week a GC 180 failed at Harringay blocking the down fast....

If only they'd used electrics eh? ;)

marks87

Established Member
An HST failed at Stevenage today blocking the up fast. Last week a GC 180 failed at Harringay blocking the down fast....

If only they'd used electrics eh? ;)
Bring back the kettles...

davido39

HAHA yeah, I actually remember that advert, they don't make em like that anymore. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.