• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OK - will Transport feature in the Quuens Speech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotrail158713

Established Member
I’m not holding my breath. I’d say it’s more likely that Brexit will be the only topic than not.
However, I believe, sadly, if anything else does get a mention rail/transport will not be high up on the order.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
It may not matter either way. Every chance the Queen's Speech will be voted down in the debate that follows which would almost certainly lead to a vote of no confidence and then a general election. Stormy political times very much on the horizon.

Steam Man

On Moderation
It may not matter either way. Every chance the Queen's Speech will be voted down in the debate that follows which would almost certainly lead to a vote of no confidence and then a general election. Stormy political times very much on the horizon.
I think it will be a bumpy ride

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Whatever is said will have the sole objective of maximizing the chances of Boris and his pro rogues being returned to power at the election that will follow soon after.

On railways I'd guess the most likely is some empty promises about reopenings to energise the sub-set of the base that believes we are still in the 1950s. No commitments on HS2 or franchising as they are both conveniently under review and anything that could be said would most likely alienate part of that core vote.
Conceivably some kind of commitment to NPR, but probably one that doesn't cost much and/or can easily be got out of later.
No mention of buses because that core vote doesn't care about them other than getting in the way of their cars. Probably some (re-)announcements of road projects.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
It hardly matters. There is an election coming. An election that will be about Brexit. The rest is just padding.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Queen's Speeches are usually even vaguer than Budget Speeches.
It's just a list of potential Bills, and in this case more like a Tory Manifesto.
One of them might be "A Bill to Reorganise and Improve Britain's Railways".
That would cover a multitude of sins.
Local devolution of railways might be the kind of thing to mention.
But the next parliamentary session might be very short indeed.

Steam Man

On Moderation
Queen's Speeches are usually even vaguer than Budget Speeches.
It's just a list of potential Bills, and in this case more like a Tory Manifesto.
One of them might be "A Bill to Reorganise and Improve Britain's Railways".
That would cover a multitude of sins.
Local devolution of railways might be the kind of thing to mention.
But the next parliamentary session might be very short indeed.
Because Boris has no majority I see an election coming sooner rather than later

Status
Not open for further replies.