• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Okehampton Daily Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Proposed daily services using mk2 stock for Okehampton-Exeter Central/St James Park... any opinions?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Can you provide more details? I don't see anything about a daily service on the Dartmoor Railway website: http://www.dartmoor-railway.co.uk/index.html

The service won't be provided by the Dartmoor Rly, but by Devon & Cornwall Rlys - who were created by the Americans. They are building a platform on the Okehampton branch at yeoford, which still has to be finalised by NR. I left the magazine I was reading it in somewhere - I'll try and find it...

Oliver

The service won't be provided by the Dartmoor Rly, but by Devon & Cornwall Rlys - who were created by the Americans. They are building a platform on the Okehampton branch at yeoford, which still has to be finalised by NR. I left the magazine I was reading it in somewhere - I'll try and find it...

I had a dig myself; the best I can find is this webpage from Iowa Pacific Holdings: http://www.iowapacific.net/british-railways.html

As far as the Okehampton line is concerned it's not clear what their relationship is with the Dartmoor Railway, which runs the summer service between Meldon, Okehampton and Sampford Courtney. There's also a summer Sunday service from Exeter to Okehampton which is run by FGW. D&C want to run from Yeoford to Okehampton, though it's not clear whether this is intended as a tourist service or a round-the-year link into the Barnstaple branch. This service has been delayed because Network Rail can't get their act together (no change there then).

I can see the attraction of a tourist service, though I can't see regular commuter service working; Okehampton has a fast road to Exeter and there are plenty of buses. Also, Okehampton is on the edge of the town up a blinking great hill. I wish them all good luck, though I think that unless they can provide a direct service into Exeter their business will be severely limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.