• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old and new bashing trips by Cowley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I noticed something a bit strange with it though - when we were braking going around corners at high speed all the window blinds started vibrating. Is this normal I wondered..?
I’d gorged myself on a rubbery cheese and tomato panini and a couple of beers by then though so I just observed it all with a bit of a chuckle.

That was probably as you passed through the Tamworth Triangle o_O:o;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Shred - Not done an internal fight in the UK? You haven’t lived until you’ve seen a multitude of orange ladies in Exeter Airport at 6 in the morning... :lol:
Orange as in EasyJet staff, or for some other reason? :)

I have to say that I don't envy having to get on a Dash 8 at that time of day. It was the first thing I ever flew on and I've only ever done one other return flight since!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That was probably as you passed through the Tamworth Triangle o_O:o;)

Is that where people get lost in toilets at 125mph?

Orange as in EasyJet staff, or for some other reason? :)

I have to say that I don't envy having to get on a Dash 8 at that time of day. It was the first thing I
ever flew on and I've only ever done one other return flight since!
I went posh Gus - Flybe for me...
I think the orange folk were heading to Majorca (Madge-orr-carrr), there’s a tanning salon by the traffic lights on Exe Bridges near us. I’m sure it was the same ladies...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What’s Flybe like, then?

I always avoid them as I don’t consider them to have what I think of as “proper” aeroplanes. I.E. Airbus or Boeing. I suppose Embraer too.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What’s Flybe like, then?

I always avoid them as I don’t consider them to have what I think of as “proper” aeroplanes. I.E. Airbus or Boeing. I suppose Embraer too.
What’s Flybe like, then?

Flybe aren’t too bad. I mean they go from Exeter to Manchester where good trains are and they go to Belfast which is where Mrs C’s family are near.
They have planes that have whirly propellers and I quite like that because I understand how they work.
You know where you are with a propeller...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Flybe aren’t too bad. I mean they go from Exeter to Manchester where good trains are and they go to Belfast which is where Mrs C’s family are near.
They have planes that have whirly propellers and I quite like that because I understand how they work.
You know where you are with a propeller...

Ah, cool. The propellers are what make them seem not like your proper 21st century aircraft to me but if you like them then cool. Z.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The RAF's newest transport aircraft have propellers and are made by Airbus.

Mmm I bet they sound good firing up...
I wonder what CC they are..?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a 16 CSVT out of a class 50 was around 270 litres?
I’m getting all wistful about big engines now.

Don’t worry TT. It’s all interesting to learn about...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Ha ha. No need to shut up. The A-400 is very modern though.
It probably would be if it’s new - but it probably doesn’t look it if it is a military plane, they’re always done up in an unpleasant grey and I suppose this plane is no different!

fowler9

Established Member
It probably would be if it’s new - but it probably doesn’t look it if it is a military plane, they’re always done up in an unpleasant grey and I suppose this plane is no different!
I'd have a look on the internet, especially at the propeller. Not all civillian passenger aircraft look that modern. The 737 looks pretty much the same as it did to me thirty years ago, just with a few add Ons.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Ah, cool. The propellers are what make them seem not like your proper 21st century aircraft to me but if you like them then cool. Z.

As fowler9 explained, the Dash 8 are very modern, nippy and fuel efficient on the type of regional routes they operate e.g. Manchester to Exeter, Brussels or similar. And those engines are turbines just the same as on a Airbus 319 or 737 the difference being propeller driven rather than fan or jet so no pistons involved. Btw if you are a Voyager fan you should like them as they are also built by Bombardier :smile:

fowler9

Established Member
Yeah, sorry about that man. ;)

Z.
I'll correct you on one thing, you thinking it doesn't make you right other than in your own opinion. Ha ha. Take the F-35, not a massive fan myself but it certainly doesn't look dated when painted grey, nor does the Type 45 Destroyer, although HMS Dragon does have a massive red dragon painted near the bow. I think I am dragging things away from topic here, apologies Cowley. Ha ha.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You carry on 9. It’s always good to learn about new things.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'll correct you on one thing, you thinking it doesn't make you right other than in your own opinion. Ha ha. Take the F-35, not a massive fan myself but it certainly doesn't look dated when painted grey, nor does the Type 45 Destroyer, although HMS Dragon does have a massive red dragon painted near the bow. I think I am dragging things away from topic here, apologies Cowley. Ha ha.

Dragon a thread off-topic is never acceptable. (coat fetched...)

fowler9

Established Member
Dragon a thread off-topic is never acceptable. (coat fetched...)
Ouch, Ha ha ha. HMS Dragon visited Liverpool about this time last year so I went for a look around. It looked pretty cool. Made the mistake of telling one of the crew who I worked for, he joked I was lucky he didn't throw me overboard, I think he was joking anyway. Ha ha.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ouch, Ha ha ha. HMS Dragon visited Liverpool about this time last year so I went for a look around. It looked pretty cool. Made the mistake of telling one of the crew who I worked for, he joked I was lucky he didn't throw me overboard, I think he was joking anyway. Ha ha.

:lol::lol:

Established Member
Ah, the East Lancs - my favourite heritage line.
DMU events seem to be increasingly popular.
Who would have thought there would ever be a gala dedicated to those humble workhorses, especially given that back in the day most people didn't look at them twice.
Shame you missed the 40, it's a beast.
Looks like a good do, otherwise.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah, the East Lancs - my favourite heritage line.
DMU events seem to be increasingly popular.
Who would have thought there would ever be a gala dedicated to those humble workhorses, especially given that back in the day most people didn't look at them twice.
Shame you missed the 40, it's a beast.
Looks like a good do, otherwise.
Thanks 013 much appreciated. I’d really like to go and do another visit at some point.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
To Ash Bridge.
I can recreate the day at home now :D.
With my new toy.
82729A47-7269-4C46-8D92-A327EB987722.jpeg

And my not so new toys... (D200 substituting today)
A206CD04-4433-4FAD-8601-C52D3EDD1F6A.jpeg

This would’ve been useful...
1F73370F-4FCB-4891-ACBF-AFBC5EE1178A.jpeg

fowler9

Established Member
To Ash Bridge.
I can recreate the day at home now :D.
With my new toy.
View attachment 39614

And my not so new toys... (D200 substituting today)
View attachment 39615

This would’ve been useful...
View attachment 39616
Ha ha. That just took me back actually going back god knows how many years. I remember getting a 304 home from Lime Street to Mossley Hill. When we got off at Mossley Hill at Platform 1 D200 was going towards the city through Platform 4 light engine. We lived halfway between Mossley Hill and West Allerton then so I must have been 9 or 10.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ha ha. That just took me back actually going back god knows how many years. I remember getting a 304 home from Lime Street to Mossley Hill. When we got off at Mossley Hill at Platform 1 D200 was going towards the city through Platform 4 light engine. We lived halfway between Mossley Hill and West Allerton then so I must have been 9 or 10.
It’s not my photo so I won’t share it without permission but Mr Bridge has a photo of D200 at St David’s in 1987 on a railtour with a 14 year old me gazing at the loco ;).
I look just like my son who’s 14 now...

Ash Bridge

Established Member
It’s not my photo so I won’t share it without permission but Mr Bridge has a photo of D200 at St David’s in 1987 on a railtour with a 14 year old me gazing at the loco ;).
I look just like my son who’s 14 now...

You can certainly share it if you wish Mr C, btw. I just love the above...Do you and the family all sit in front of the illuminated DMU headcode box on a Saturday evening now then? (certainly beats watching the X Factor or Strictly Come Dancing) :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You can certainly share it if you wish Mr C, btw. I just love the above...Do you and the family all sit in front of the illuminated DMU headcode box on a Saturday evening now then? (certainly beats watching the X Factor or Strictly Come Dancing) :lol:
Yes we all sit around and they have to shut their eyes and guess which destination I’m going to come up with. If they Guess each one correctly and can spell it properly they get their phones back.
Right kids ready? I’ll you clue - It’s in Wales...
DCB9C2D4-6DE0-4A12-9855-ED0F2EDC142B.jpeg

Anyway here’s Mr Bridge’s photo...
0140A061-9A75-4D04-8B56-65388B24420B.jpeg

Along with my stepbrothers photo
2DAF33EE-5585-416C-98D8-6FD919CA10CA.jpeg

And that’s me :lol:
AD53A291-20AF-48B2-902C-073CE9823660.jpeg

Established Member
A mighty fine loco, cracking pic too by the way. I remember getting a Freedom of the North East and hoofing down the S&C with her, uninterrupted sojourn at the droplight too. That was a cracking week come to think of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.