• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old BR stock in use abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Thanks for the explanation, but that's made me think as well, how were some of the original Eurostar stock able to be used on the ECML for the 'White Rose' express?

The 373s were built to UK-loading guage. Though there were places they couldn't go.

They were limited to King's Cross-York later Leeds under GNER, and the length of the shorter 'North of London' sets used was still long enough to mean the first and last carriages had their doors locked.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

talltim

Established Member
It can be seen in the pic of the Israeli Mk2 that the roof is a fair bit lower both in max height and the way it curves down to the top of the side. This means that sticking the air on units on the roof was no problem. Also the other coach has straight sides that finish considerably lower

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
I appreciate this is a discussion about current use of ex-BR stock abroad, so this is drifting a bit. However in the mid-nineties, before DSB Danish Railways completely abandoned night trains, about ten mk. 3 SLEP sleeper carriages were loaned for operations there. I’d be interested if anyone know what routes they were used on, and whether they were just for domestic services or international.

While I cannot claim to be an authority on this matter I am pretty certain these vehicles were only used on Danish internal services. So before the Storebaelt link was completed they would have worked between Copenhagen and Jutland, at least as far north as Aarhus, very possibly to Aalborg and perhaps even all the way to Frederikshavn.

dubscottie

I am fairly sure some of the RPSI carriages are former Gatwick Express MK 2 stock. Northern Ireland Railways acquired a set of about 8 them around 2001 and withdrew them in 2005. I think some are in use with the RPSI and others in storage pending overhaul by the RPSI.

Almost all of the RPSI mainline early Mk2 coaches are Ex-BR. The AC coaches are ex-CIE Mk2d converted to steam heating (they were already vac braked) and one is an ex-NIR Mk2.

The Gatwick stock they have is for spare parts only I believe. They may get scrapped once CDL equipment and bogies have been removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.