• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old eurostar platforms at waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aylesbury

Rumour has it that they might be sold off to a developer so as they can build expensive flats and shops,this is a result of the McNulty review.He has suggested selling off every bit of spare land just like they did inthe sixties.

Lrd

Established Member
Rumour has it that they might be sold off to a developer so as they can build expensive flats and shops,this is a result of the McNulty review.He has suggested selling off every bit of spare land just like they did inthe sixties.
No they aren't. They are already bringing back at least one platform and are planning on bringing back more when they sort out the track around Waterloo.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think much of the reason for misinformation about possible redevelopment is because there are three levels of redundant accomodation under the international platforms.

Conversion of platforms 21-24 for domestic use is expected to leave most of these 'low level' areas vacant, and available for retail development, because the platform ends are to be given level access from the main concourse (over what is nicknamed the 'orchestra pit').

aylesbury

June issue The Railway Magazine page 10 very comprehensive article ,a result of the McNulty report.

LE Greys

Established Member
From what I've read only platform 20 is to be retained with the rest being sold off.

Flats and retail development with an active platform as part of the building. I can't see that being a great selling point somehow. Still, there goes any chance of new passenger facilities at what is a major inter-city station, not just a commuter hub. Well done someone! :roll:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I've read what McNulty says, and still suggest he's referring to selling off the three floors of the 'Eurostar terminal', ie the lounges etc below the platforms. These are redundant for future domestic railway use whatever happens at platform level.

Platform 20 only provides for the peak extras on the Windsor side services as announced in December, there are further platform alterations required for the main suburban side 10 car lengthening project which is yet to be signed off. To quote SWT at that time:

Network Rail is continuing to progress plans to make further use of London Waterloo and Waterloo International to cope with future demand.

If people somewhere are imagining that platforms 21-24 will be removed from railway use I reckon they wilfully misreading the situation.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Flats and retail development with an active platform as part of the building. I can't see that being a great selling point somehow. Still, there goes any chance of new passenger facilities at what is a major inter-city station, not just a commuter hub. Well done someone! :roll:

I'm not sure I'd class Waterloo as a major inter-city station. Its hardly Euston is it?

hwl

Established Member
In a new thread on the main NR forum today:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64885

DfT have approved the transfer of southern 456s to SWT and the lengthening of more services to 12 car as well (the via Wimbledon trains) as well which presumably means they the max 8 car P1 and 2 do no have that long a life left. i.e. NR needs to get moving on domesticating P21-24 and doing the track mods to shuffle everything over a couple of platforms.

telstarbox

Established Member
I'm not sure I'd class Waterloo as a major inter-city station. Its hardly Euston is it?

It's as much an IC station as St Pancras. STP serves three major cities (Leicester, Nottingham and Sheffield) and other sizeable places (Derby, Bedford etc).
WAT serves Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth, Exeter and all the large towns like Basingstoke, Guildford, Reading etc.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In a new thread on the main NR forum today:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64885

DfT have approved the transfer of southern 456s to SWT and the lengthening of more services to 12 car as well (the via Wimbledon trains) as well which presumably means they the max 8 car P1 and 2 do no have that long a life left. i.e. NR needs to get moving on domesticating P21-24 and doing the track mods to shuffle everything over a couple of platforms.

Indeed. Today's update to what I posted yesterday is:

Last year, the Department for Transport announced plans as part of Phase 1 of the capacity enhancements to bring Platform 20 at the former Waterloo International Terminal back into use from December 2013. South West Trains is working with the DfT and other parties to re-open the platform earlier than previously planned. Proposals are also being developed by the DfT, Network Rail and South West Trains to provide a long-term solution to congestion at London Waterloo.

So more evidence to support the view that Waterloo International platforms will not be given up...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ok, as I stated above platform 20 is to be brought back into use but none of the other platforms have been mentioned here.

How else can they provide for main suburban platform lengthening then? It has been mentioned many times here in RailUK, quoting NR documents, that P1 and P2 cannot be physically lengthened to ten cars.

cle

Established Member
They are closing aren't they? In order to extend 3/4 to 12 I assume.

xolotl

It's as much an IC station as St Pancras. STP serves three major cities (Leicester, Derby, Sheffield) and other sizeable places (Derby, Bedford etc).
WAT serves Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth, Exeter and all the large towns like Basingstoke, Guildford, Reading etc.

Presumably Nottingham is neither sizable nor major?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Slightly amused to see how a discussion about the old Eurostar platforms at Waterloo has managed to metamorphose into how big a town Nottingham is ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.