• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Old fashioned stations still existing

Status
Not open for further replies.

D6975

Established Member
Worksop is well worth visiting. A grade 2 listed station which went through a big restoration in 2017 including the footbridge. The station is now back in original Great Central colours.
And if you go there, visit the buffet for a cuppa and a snack - it is one of the best station buffets in the country.

In West Yorks, both Huddersfield and Dewsbury are worth a mention if you turn a blind eye to the new lifts at the former.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

davetheguard

Established Member
Culham on the line between Didcot & Oxford has its original Brunel building still extant; its no longer in railway use, but trains still stop at the platform a few metres just to the north of it.

Amlag has already mentioned the station, but I thought I'd just say that a very similar Brunel building rather surprisingly exists at Crediton on the Exeter to Barnstaple line. Surrounded by later L&SWR buildings, it is not quite as complete as Culham, but once you make the connection, you can see its ancestry.

Attachments

• DSC04600.JPG
    DSC04600.JPG
    872.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

davetheguard

Established Member
I've now found my pictures of Crediton Brunel station building, so it can be compared with Culham above. It's lost most of its "wrap around" canopy, but is otherwise very similar.

DSC09501.JPGDSC09512.JPGDSC09515.JPGDSC09516.JPG

ANDREW_D_WEBB

And probably Hanwell captures what is asked better than any with GWR Station names, lighting and original wooden buildings
Looks even nicer now, since the photo was taken it has been fully restored. Provides a complete contrast to stations further along the route it will serve when Crossrail finally opens.

Irascible

Established Member
Amlag has already mentioned the station, but I thought I'd just say that a very similar Brunel building rather surprisingly exists at Crediton on the Exeter to Barnstaple line.

That would be because the line was originally broad gauge & sort of built by Brunel ( to Crediton, not Barnstaple! ), just never part of the GWR ( or B&ER even though it operated it ). Just a wierd quirk :)

Bigman

The old Shipley & Windhill Station building in West Yorkshire (built 1874 by GNR) is still in-situ. It closed as long ago as 1931. Just round the corner from the current station. Reasonably good picture on WEikipedia.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
You know I corrected that multiple times yet it still managed to convert.

Irlam!
Friend of mine had a similar issue when York City FC were supposedly playing an 'Islam' team in the FA Cup last season. :rolleyes:

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
.....the Settle one also came from somewhere else - can't remember the station, but so far as I recall it was on the northern ECML somewhere......

The footbridge came from Drem the junction station for North Berwick. Drem was lucky to retain its original station buildings as even though they were listed the wrecking ball was unleashed on them. Fortunately the "station master" was on duty and put the kybosh on that.

JRT

On the national network, Hebden Bridge station has an 'old school' vibe about it, although you'll have to ignore the dot matrix information boards which possibly weren't around in the 1940s/1950s/1960s.

Otherwise, think you'd probably have to look at heritage railways. Many of these, however, have been substantially rebuilt in recent years, so what you see now might look good, but isn't necessarily original, for example, Rawtenstall station on the East Lancs Railway or Bolton Abbey station on the Embsay steam railway.
A few years ago, Hebden Bridge had brown and white signage. From 1997 the signs are black and white, following the original Lancashire & Yorkshire colours (some of the signs are new, but done in the old style).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'd nominate Cardiff Central and London Paddington.

Yes, I know that a lot of people don't like overhead line equipment, but if we're talking about the buildings, then they surely qualify?

Paul Jones 88

Platform level at Tonbridge still has an old fashioned feel with the 30s buildings with the curved edge windows etc.
High Brooms feels like a preserved station also.

All the stations on The Portsmouth Direct from Farncombe, with exception of the 1970's abomination that is Liss, to Rowlands Castle retain their main buildings with different forms of recent modification to accommodate ticket machines and gates. Within the last few years Petersfield down side underpass stairwell's corrugated iron roof was replaced with a replica glazed pitched wood "lantern" matching that on the up side.

Journeyman

Established Member
The buildings on the Glasgow side are modern, but the Edinburgh side of Linlithgow station has lovely buildings dating from 1842. They were photographed in 1845, and these images are thought to be the earliest railway photographs ever taken. The buildings are recognisably very similar in the images, although it's now difficult to to take photos from the same location due to trees.

Non Multi

Battersea Park, London. Has a disused (since 2012) timber platform, narrow timber subway, and a very elegant Victorian pillared booking hall.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Bere Alston and Bere Ferrers in Devon remain untouched although according to google images the ballast on the disused platform at Alston has recently been relaid which is interesting

Bevan Price

Established Member
You know I corrected that multiple times yet it still managed to convert.

Irlam!
I find it best to "kill" auto-check & similar. All too often they make a mess of place names & personal names.

Cambus731

Arbroath as previously mentioned on this thread still retains a lot of it's old features.
It is a looking a little tired now though. I took this photo in October 2015

Attachments

• 50309627927_4d5f885f51_o.jpg
    50309627927_4d5f885f51_o.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 52

Shinkansenfan

Wye in Kent is one of my favorite period railway stations. In fact the local Ashford newspaper many years ago quoted me on that. :D

Country station with old style level crossing gate, signal box (unfortunately deactivated) and formerly concrete footbridge (replaced by current footbridge) in a scenic country setting.

Photo from Flickr.

Attachments

• 29760655685_384fd731c6_k.jpg
    29760655685_384fd731c6_k.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Wye in Kent is one of my favorite period railway stations. In fact the local Ashford newspaper many years ago quoted me on that. :D

Country station with old style level crossing gate, signal box (unfortunately deactivated) and formerly concrete footbridge (replaced by current footbridge) in a scenic country setting.

Photo from Flickr.

Yes, an absolute classic.

When I was growing up in Ashford in the 90's it still had Southern Railway concrete lamp posts and octagonal lampshades which made it look even more the part.

Loads of lovely stations in Kent - between Ashford and Maidstone East is a good set.

Killingworth

Established Member
I put in Poynton as a strong contender, and not on a heritage line. A Northern station it was being cared for as a labour of love by the chap in the ticket office when I visited in 2019.

IMG_20190412_114551.jpg IMG_20190412_214140.jpg

DB

The old Shipley & Windhill Station building in West Yorkshire (built 1874 by GNR) is still in-situ. It closed as long ago as 1931. Just round the corner from the current station. Reasonably good picture on WEikipedia.

Surrounded by piles of scrap cars - not really much original ambience there!

ian1944

I put in Poynton as a strong contender, and not on a heritage line. A Northern station it was being cared for as a labour of love by the chap in the ticket office when I visited in 2019.

View attachment 89224 View attachment 89225
I'm surprised to see a Cheshire station with a poster for a trip to Brid in foreign parts - apparently starting from Chesterfield too, so no local connection. Not that Cheshire ever had as much animosity for Yorkshire as did Lancashire, even though they were neighbours near Holme Moss.

I've always liked Dumfries and Lockerbie stations, with a lot of original parts.

Trainfan2019

View attachment 89224 View attachment 89225

You beat me to it with recommending Poynton!

Passed through many times and it looks lovely and traditional from the outside. Never realised how much more beautiful it looks inside. Great photos.

Statto

Established Member
Cressington on Merseyrail is practically unchanged in essentials since its construction in the 1860s. Modern lighting has been placed in period-appropriate fittings. Platform levels have been raised (though that's not obvious); dot-matrix indicators installed; but that is about it, visually.

Add in Aigburth with that, apart from a lick of paint it feels unchanged from CLC era

Status
Not open for further replies.