• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Older TOCs' websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
Hi all,

In the Virgin Timetable thread, bnm provided a link to a site which acts as an archive facility for the Internet (see here). This provides a look back through time at the operations of Virgin Trains, which is most interesting! :p

I then went and did the same for First Great Eastern, but on the basis that I had to guess the web address. Assuming it matched FGW, I put "firstgreateastern.co.uk", which provided a [dead] link to "ger.co.uk" - the actual website of FGE.

With this in mind, I would like to have a look at other TOCs' services through the years. Does anyone have a list of TOC websites from yesteryear, including ones that are no longer with us, at all please?

Any input would be appreciated greatly, and hopefully I'll be able to learn a thing or two about service provisions that I didn't know about! :)

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I would like to see Central Trains' website as I never saw it; it will allow me to learn a few things.

driver9000

Established Member
During the winter timetable period of 1999/2000 I tried to collect as many sets of timetables from the operators of the day to record the train services at the millennium (I had a lot of time on my hands then). Websites listed on the booklets I have are:

www.walesandwest.co.uk (link takes you to homepage from 2001 linking to Wessex Trains and Wales & Borders)
www.firstnorthwestern.co.uk (reidrects to a cheap train tickets site of same name)
www.gner.co.uk (redirects to EC site)
www.midlandmainline.com (dead)
www.northern-spirit.co.uk (directs to an advertisment)
www.swtrains.co.uk (redirects to current SWT site)
www.scotrail.co.uk (current site, address valid)
www.virgintrains.co.uk (current site, address valid)
www.centraltrains.co.uk (redirects to LM)
www.thamestrains.co.uk (error message recieved)
www.thameslink.co.uk (redirects to FCC)
www.wagnrail.co.uk (dead)

Connex, Anglia and Silverlink didn't list a web address on their timetables so I can only presume they didn't have a website at that time.

Last edited:

tom1649

Connex, Anglia and Silverlink didn't list a web address on their timetables so I can only presume they didn't have a website at that time.

They definitely did have websites. Even Regional Railways North East had one before it was renamed Northern Spirit.

driver9000

Established Member
They definitely did have websites. Even Regional Railways North East had one before it was renamed Northern Spirit.

They most likely did, but they weren't shown on the timetable booklets I collected, I assumed their sites weren't live at the time and didn't want to guess the addresses. I managed to complete the set for several TOCs and part collected sets for the others during the winter 99/00 period

wintonian

Established Member
Just looking at swtrains.co.uk and I see someone at Sway station won an award, the RMT are going on strike, refurbished trains and a big overhaul of the timetable - all in 2004 ofcourse

2003 bought us shiny new 450s to play with.

I have learnt that railcard discounts were not available (only the NR portion) on travel cards untill 2004.

Status
Not open for further replies.