• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oldest livery/interior still in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2555

Does anyone know what trains have the oldest unrefurbished livery or interior? Obviously we would have to discount heritage railways here. I remember Greater Anglia having some One liveried stock a few years back but I'm sure that's not current. So which trains have livery of long gone operators or seat moquettes etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Although not original, Southern's 313.201 carries BR blue and grey livery. It is pretty close to original though

Southeastern's Class 376 units (built in 2004) still carry their original Connex livery. Well overdue a repaint/relivery

Charlie2555

Although not original, Southern's 313.201 carries BR blue and grey livery. It is pretty close to original though

Southeastern's Class 376 units (built in 2004) still carry their original Connex livery. Well overdue a repaint/relivery
I thought all Southeastern's units would be in that blue now, although I haven't lived in Kent since 2017. 16 years is a long time in a single livery. I wonder what the longest lasting livery on a single train would be? Potentially some slam door EMUs in BR blue and grey..

Established Member
Does anyone know what trains have the oldest unrefurbished livery or interior? Obviously we would have to discount heritage railways here. I remember Greater Anglia having some One liveried stock a few years back but I'm sure that's not current. So which trains have livery of long gone operators or seat moquettes etc?

Northern's ex-ScotRail 156s must have been contenders before they were refurbished. Their interiors were dreadful.

adc82140

Established Member

The SWR 450s and 444s and the Southern 377s and 171s can't be far off the 376s for livery.

Do some of the GA 321s still have FGE interiors?

py_megapixel

Established Member
Longest running design still in active use surely has to be Chiltern Railways.
IIRC it was introduced in 1998 when the 168s were delivered.

Hardly surprising, for what I believe is the only franchise to never have been rebranded.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I thought all Southeastern's units would be in that blue now, although I haven't lived in Kent since 2017. 16 years is a long time in a single livery. I wonder what the longest lasting livery on a single train would be? Potentially some slam door EMUs in BR blue and grey..

Various PAM's, PUL's, NOL's, LAV's etc spent their entire existance in Southern Railway/Region green.

sd0733

Established Member
TfWs ex-Anglia 153s must have some of the oldest interiors. I may be wrong but i think its an Anglia Railways interior so has worked under Anglia, One, Greater Anglia and their transfer to TfW like that.

Charlie2555

Class 319/769 some still have the original seats/interior
Do you mean any still have NSE interiors? I thought they would be long gone. Or did you mean the seat frame and interior layout is original?

Hardly surprising, for what I believe is the only franchise to never have been rebranded.
That's a good shout, although they have recently revised their livery I do believe. Chiltern is actually one of the few companies I haven't yet travelled with, are the interiors very old too?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

The Silverlink livery lasted until not long before LM dispensed with the 321s. I think at the time it was the longest-lived post-privatisation livery.

fgwrich

Established Member

I wouldn't include Chiltern Railways, as the 168s have all had various interior refurbishments and are now in the "Mainline" silver scheme, while the 165s externally are now carrying a revised version too. Their interiors have only been refurbished once though.

I would certainly say of the privatised era, it would have to be the former Great Eastern 360 & SWT 450 fleets. While the 360s seem internally and externally tired, the've stood up well. The 450s still feel fresh inside after all these years!

delt1c

Established Member
How about anglias 317/5’s apart from new seat fabric they are unchanged since introduced

py_megapixel

Established Member
I wouldn't include Chiltern Railways, as the 168s have all had various interior refurbishments and are now in the "Mainline" silver scheme, while the 165s externally are now carrying a revised version too. Their interiors have only been refurbished once though.
In what way are they revised (other than the use of the Arriva font on the logo, which I wouldn't really count as particularly important)?

Established Member
TfWs ex-Anglia 153s must have some of the oldest interiors. I may be wrong but i think its an Anglia Railways interior so has worked under Anglia, One, Greater Anglia and their transfer to TfW like that.

The moquette is still Anglia Railways, but the carpets (and from memory the table tops) were changed by GA as they were repainted. On that note, 156412 and 418 retained Central Trains livery until their GA refurbishment (2013?).

fgwrich

Established Member
In what way are they revised (other than the use of the Arriva font on the logo, which I wouldn't really count as particularly important)?
It's revised as in the red band below the window line has been dropped, and Mainline style elements of the Light Blue and Silvery Grey bands have replaced it.

Domh245

Established Member

It's subtle but the red stripe underneath the blue has been removed, the main dark blue band has been 'bookended' with light blue on top and silver underneath.

I would certainly say of the privatised era, it would have to be the former Great Eastern 360 & SWT 450 fleets. While the 360s seem internally and externally tired, the've stood up well. The 450s still feel fresh inside after all these years!

In addition to the SWT units (I'm discounting the 360s as the removal of the vinyl makes it feel like a whole other livery, and they've been remoquetted in recent years), I'd suggest Southern for a long lived livery - and one without any end in sight either!

py_megapixel

Established Member
I wouldn't argue that removal of a red line and a couple of extra lines above and below the blue makes it a significantly different livery, but to each their own

Doomotron

I expect there to be a few shunters still being used in decades-old liveries.

What about the EWS livery (particularly on Class 66s)?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
East Midlands Railway Class 170s for a start.

National Express Scotrail which has been completely untouched since introduction.

bramling

Veteran Member
How about anglias 317/5’s apart from new seat fabric they are unchanged since introduced

I’d definitely go with that one. Little internal change apart from seat cushions, paintwork (even that hasn’t happened that many times on these) and PIS fitting.

The remaining TfL 315s aren’t massively different from original either.

In terms of not even having had a coat of paint inside and out, 376 does seem to take top spot.

Perhaps worth mentioning some LU stocks too. 72, 73 and 92 stocks are in essentially early/mid 1990s condition bar seat coverings, both inside and out.

Established Member
I’d definitely go with that one. Little internal change apart from seat cushions, paintwork (even that hasn’t happened that many times on these) and PIS fitting.
It's funny in a way as some of the units are on their seventh external livery!

Last year I travelled on 321428, still in NXEA white and silver over eight years after that franchise ended.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Can Pendolinos and standard class XC Voyager interiors be a contender for some of the oldest at almost 20 years old - I can’t think of anything that has changed in that time.

The interiors of the Class 333s stayed untouched for 19 years besides a few minor changes to the design of the carpets.

asdirective

The moquette is still Anglia Railways, but the carpets (and from memory the table tops) were changed by GA as they were repainted. On that note, 156412 and 418 retained Central Trains livery until their GA refurbishment (2013?).

Yes, the 153 tables were replaced and the carpets and side panels retrimmed by GA towards the end of the temporary franchise.

153314 also had a mini refurb. Some of the interior was painted white instead of cream. This was after the unit got drowned at Lowestoft in the tidal surge.

Mat17

I seem to recall that the Arriva Trains North 150/2s still had their original seating and layouts (with new upholstery) in the early-mid 2000s, the orange vestibules were still present. I'm guessing that would have been about 16 or so years.

Of course heritage DMUs, refurbed in the 1970s retained their interiors through to withdrawal in the 1990s. I guess loco hauled mk1s may have stayed more or less (as built) internally for some years. Minus the odd moquette refresh...

So I guess 15-20 years wasn't uncommon in the immediate past.

Since privatisation though the never ending chopping and swapping of franchises and rebranding makes 5 years + a long time, especially on the ECML!

LowLevel

Established Member
East Midlands Railway Class 170s for a start.

National Express Scotrail which has been completely untouched since introduction.

At least some of them have the modern ScotRail carpet but that's about it.

They also have the pleasing photos stuck on to the bog walls :lol: Oh for Glenfinnan when I'm working one to Mansfield!

Status
Not open for further replies.