• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Olympic Opening Ceremony

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I couldn't understand why French was used so much though.

French is the official language of the IOC, alongside English, so both are used (alongside the host nations official language where applicable).

Onto the ceremony, I thought it was excellent - I even liked the bit with Paul McCartney, and that's saying something as I can't stand the man. I was another person who was initially concerned by the lacklustre opening, but as soon as the Industrial Revolution transition got underway what they were trying to achieve became clearer.

I thought it was a lovely touch to have promising young athletes light the flame at the end - and glad to see Sir Steve Redgrave also carrying the flame.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
French is the official language of the IOC, alongside English, so both are used (alongside the host nations official language where applicable).

Ah, I see. Never having bothered tow atch an opening ceremony before, I was in blissful ignorance!

I was another person who was initially concerned by the lacklustre opening, but as soon as the Industrial Revolution transition got underway what they were trying to achieve became clearer.

This is quite common with creative types. There seems to be two schools of thought when approaching something like this:

1. Hit the audience with everythign you have at the start.
2. Build up a rhythm and draw the audience in slowly.

I favour number two, with the first approach you have nowhere to go after the initial impact, you just have to try and sustain it, which is usually more difficult!

I thought it was a lovely touch to have promising young athletes light the flame at the end - and glad to see Sir Steve Redgrave also carrying the flame.

I agree!

anthony263

Established Member
Sadly I didnt watch it last night although I am sure somebody will have recorded it and post it on youtube soon although there is likely to be a lot of highlights on the TV today.

Still from what I have heard and from what you have all been saying it seems I missed a trully great show although its a shame we never saw something done by the top gear lads

Bungle73

On Moderation
Sadly I didnt watch it last night although I am sure somebody will have recorded it and post it on youtube soon although there is likely to be a lot of highlights on the TV today.

Still from what I have heard and from what you have all been saying it seems I missed a trully great show although its a shame we never saw something done by the top gear lads

iPlayer.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Looks like a Tory MP has annoyed people/ 'believes' a tweet was misunderstood.

Not sure how something like that could be misunderstood, or how he thinks that he can legitimately claim people did misunderstand.

Heinz57

...although its a shame we never saw something done by the top gear lads

Yeah there should have been a little something done by the Top Gear lot.

The ceramony celibrated best of British, and TG is deffinatly amongst them. Its the biggest and best motoring show in the world, which has sparked many international versions and does the sell out live tour around the world.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
People rush to tweet and then claim that their ill thought out comments were misunderstood. Not a good defence in most cases, inclduing this one.

When will people learn?

Wasn't the Torch hauled by Scots Guardsman and/or/by down the Severn Valley Railway? Would've been nice to see it in the torch montage, even three seconds.

chris89

Established Member
Wasn't the Torch hauled by Scots Guardsman and/or/by down the Severn Valley Railway? Would've been nice to see it in the torch montage, even three seconds.

Was on the SVR between Bewdley and Kidderminster on Earlstoke Manor and took a stop near the safari park.

Also, it appears NBC in the USA has caused trouble as well.

http://deadspin.com/5929778/heres-t...-terrorism-victims-nbc-doesnt-want-you-to-see

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/us-news-blog/2012/jul/28/nbc-olympics-opening-ceremony

Wouldn't have known about that if not for Reddit.

Chris

LE Greys

Established Member
As a certain Torquay hotelier might have put it, "There's always one, isn't there?".

BTW, as the athletes walked out, I kept thinking "I know someone from there!".

Cletus

Established Member
A couple of times the cameras focussed on the queen, she looked like she wanted to be somewhere else!:)

jon0844

Veteran Member
A couple of times the cameras focussed on the queen, she looked like she wanted to be somewhere else!:)

It was the same during the Jubilee celebrations. She's old and no doubt very tired, so I think she deserves to be cut some slack.

I doubt very much that she didn't enjoy the ceremony like everyone else.

I'll see what I'm like if I manage to make it to that age.

Yew

Established Member

There was a FGW hst in the opening film, the best of british. thankfully it wasnt one of those french EMU's

Status
Not open for further replies.