• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
I for one won’t comply with any new restrictions, and neither should anyone else, none compliance is our exit out of this constant over reaction, we aren’t in March 2020 anymore.

How long is this supposed to go on for? I’m not giving up my Xmas, I’m not giving up seeing my family and friends, I’m not putting my life on hold ever again, not for this virus.

Im Done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BRX

Established Member
For those who reckon I'm pulling doubling rates in the region of 2-3 days out of thin air, here are some sources.

Firstly, early data from Gauteng Province

Very early numbers from Denmark

Yup, these might be distorted by all sorts of things while numbers are relatively small. Maybe things will look different a week from now. But I'm interested in what the numbers suggest now, not what I hope they will suggest in the future.

DustyBin

Established Member
This is going to be interesting. If they do this, it will be the first opportunity for there to be real opposition to the Government and PM on the basis of restrictions being too strict (and in this case evidently selfishly implemented purely to distract from a bad news story). Opposition has been purely (except for a very small number of Tory backbencher) been from the perspective of trying to stop the Government from removing restrictions - now there is a chance for a stand to be made in the opposite direction. Will Labour take up the mantle? ‘You’ll be banned from going to work because Boris Johnson wants to distract from his lies’ is an east line for them to take if they want to shrug off their pro-lockdown tendencies for once. It would be opportunistic but who cares.

The problem is that WFH is likely to be widely popular so enough people will happily go along with it and conveniently ignore the "dead cat". The government know this; they're a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them. They've played the public throughout and will continue to do so.

I will be watching PMQs today. I want to see him squirm. What an odeous pustule of a Prime Minister.

He really is repugnant.

kristiang85

Established Member
For those who reckon I'm pulling doubling rates in the region of 2-3 days out of thin air, here are some sources.

Firstly, early data from Gauteng Province

Very early numbers from Denmark

Yup, these might be distorted by all sorts of things while numbers are relatively small. Maybe things will look different a week from now. But I'm interested in what the numbers suggest now, not what I hope they will suggest in the future.

But have you not seen the behaviour of this virus in the past 2 years? Or any of the other viruses in history?

big_rig

The problem is that WFH is likely to be widely popular so enough people will happily go along with it and conveniently ignore the "dead cat". The government know this; they're a lot of things but stupid isn't one of them. They've played the public throughout and will continue to do so.

He really is repugnant.
I really don’t know. The ‘wfh forever’ crowd while influential is getting smaller rather than bigger over time, and I think people will grasp the wider point that this is basically about meddling in lives for political gain. I do think though the Tory backbench is not hugely relevant and it really tests on Labour to pick this up. They could easily fall back on the ‘SAGE said jump so we said how high’ but that presents less of a vote winning opportunity this time than before, one can hope..

DustyBin

Established Member
I really don’t know. The ‘wfh forever’ crowd while influential is getting smaller rather than bigger over time, and I think people will grasp the wider point that this is basically about meddling in lives for political gain. I do think though the Tory backbench is not hugely relevant and it really tests on Labour to pick this up. They could easily fall back on the ‘SAGE said jump so we said how high’ but that presents less of a vote winning opportunity this time than before, one can hope..

I hope you're right.

Meanwhile there is a labour MP on Sky News now saying that we should have moved to Plan B a week ago and that they support the government's (belated) decision. So there goes any hope of Labour standing up and and being counted!

Towers

Established Member
I for one won’t comply with any new restrictions, and neither should anyone else, none compliance is our exit out of this constant over reaction, we aren’t in March 2020 anymore.

How long is this supposed to go on for? I’m not giving up my Xmas, I’m not giving up seeing my family and friends, I’m not putting my life on hold ever again, not for this virus.

Im Done.
The problem though of course is how do we, the plebs, do non-compliance if he introduces the godforsaken passport nonsense? As it'll be the shops/venues/wherever who are legally obliged to do the legwork of checking.

If that does happen, I sincerely hope that at least some large retailers will take a similar stance as they have done with masks this time around, and basically tell Boris they aren't playing.

I hope you're right.

Meanwhile there is a labour MP on Sky News now saying that we should have moved to Plan B a week ago and that they support the government's (belated) decision. So there goes any hope of Labour standing up and and being counted!
Absolute waste of oxygen the lot of them. One wonders what it will take for Labour to get a proper party together again, I can't see it even being on the horizon before the next election.

Hawkwood Junc

Labour won't stand up and be counted. They'll just parrot the same old "more restrictions, earlier, protect the NHS" etc etc

bramling

Veteran Member
The problem though of course is how do we, the plebs, do non-compliance if he introduces the godforsaken passport nonsense? As it'll be the shops/venues/wherever who are legally obliged to do the legwork of checking.

If that does happen, I sincerely hope that at least some large retailers will take a similar stance as they have done with masks this time around, and basically tell Boris they aren't playing.

The one good thing about masks is, being a visible thing, it’s quite easy to visibly non comply. The more people do it, the more it becomes impossible to enforce.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Labour won't stand up and be counted. They'll just parrot the same old "more restrictions, earlier, protect the NHS" etc etc
There are a significant number of Labour MPs who are seemingly pro-restriction in theory but have often rebelled against the government on restrictions (especially things like vaccine passports). They often come from the left of the party.

While it's unlikely they'll influence the leadership much (Starmer doesn't much like them after all), they may at least be able to provide some opposition from the Labour backbenches.

big_rig

I hope you're right.

Dreams are free I guess! Starmer going on about more sacrifice and restrictions in the PM’s Questions, so a lost cause as usual. Oh well.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Dreams are free I guess! Starmer going on about more sacrifice and restrictions in the PM’s Questions, so a lost cause as usual. Oh well.

Labour are the party of big government and state interference in our lives so we shouldn't be surprised.

Cdd89

Established Member
You’ll be banned from going to work because Boris Johnson wants to distract from his lies’ is an east line for them to take if they want to shrug off their pro-lockdown tendencies for once
Unfortunately, it’s just as easy to take the line “these vital protections won’t work as well as they should because people have seen it’s one rule for the Government and another rule for them; this government is a threat to the health of the nation”.

This is what is annoying me the most about the Christmas party debacle. The opposition is angry that the government broke the rules, rather than that the government imposed inhuman restrictions that they themselves couldn’t follow. I would prefer much more focus on the latter point.

NorthKent1989

Established Member

We plebs can host our own indoor parties, buy or order booze and vote with our feet send a message to businesses that if they completely with this authoritarianism for a minor respiratory virus then they will lose business and rightfully so, find venues that won’t comply and give them business.

At this point I’m all for a mass general walk out strike up and down the country to end this farce.

philosopher

Established Member
How long is this supposed to go on for? I’m not giving up my Xmas, I’m not giving up seeing my family and friends, I’m not putting my life on hold ever again, not for this virus..
When masks were reintroduced last week, my main concern was not masks themselves, but that it would restart the whole cycle of increasingly harsh restrictions. If vaccine passports and ‘WFH if you can’ are implemented, which looks increasingly likely, then door is wide open for the rule of six to return a couple of weeks later, followed by harsher restrictions later on.

Last autumn / winter it started with the rule of six, then the 10pm hospitality curfew, then the tiers system, then the lighter November lockdown and finally ended with the lockdown almost as severe as the one in Spring 2020.

NorthKent1989

Established Member
When masks were reintroduced last week, my main concern was not masks themselves, but that it would restart the whole cycle of increasingly harsh restrictions. If vaccine passports and ‘WFH if you can’ are implemented, which looks increasingly likely, then door is wide open for the rule of six to return a couple of weeks later, followed by harsher restrictions later on.

Last autumn / winter it started with the rule of six, then the 10pm hospitality curfew, then the tiers system, then the lighter November lockdown and finally ended with the lockdown almost as severe as the one in Spring 2020.

The muppets in chief can introduce anything they like it will never make me comply, the government have only gotten away with this because people complied, if people don’t this can end, I dreaded masks being reintroduced for the reasons you stated.

The bedwetters as far as I’m concerned can stay home if they’re that frightened even after being jabbed, I have zero patience or sympathy for them

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I hope you're right.

A vote for Labour is a vote for lockdowns, restrictions and other measures. We must not forget that at the ballot box.

brad465

Established Member
A vote for Labour is a vote for lockdowns, restrictions and other measures. We must not forget that at the ballot box.
Who are the alternatives at the ballot box? The Government is now once again caving into more restrictions, except for some Tory backbenchers. Obviously the SNP are even worse for those in Scotland. The Lib Dems have opposed both renewing the emergency legislation and vaccine passports before so if they do so again they maybe the best chance.

DustyBin

Established Member
Unfortunately, it’s just as easy to take the line “these vital protections won’t work as well as they should because people have seen it’s one rule for the Government and another rule for them; this government is a threat to the health of the nation”.

This is what is annoying me the most about the Christmas party debacle. The opposition is angry that the government broke the rules, rather than that the government imposed inhuman restrictions that they themselves couldn’t follow. I would prefer much more focus on the latter point.

Yes absolutely, the focus should be on the latter!

Exactly, and this is what we tried to explain to those who couldn't see what the issue was. It's obvious at this point that if we keep accepting these restrictions they'll keep imposing them.

Class 466

Established Member
I thought WFH was always advisory rather than mandatory.
Advisory indeed, I for one will be following it as I'm losing out on time by commuting currently - especially as my local bus service is suffering badly with driver shortages that means I'm often left waiting for 30+ minutes or paying for taxis nigh on daily.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You’ve hit the nail on the head. We all know masks don’t work and have no impact on case rates, as proven by no link between mask mandates and positive test results from almost every territory in the world.

Vaccine Passports also don’t work, and actually risk the opposite effect, of increasing vaccine hesitancy.

Working from home *may* provide a small amount of relief but if it’s as highly transmissible as expected, it’ll be a drop in the ocean.

Effectively, every small step toward more restrictions, especially those that have been proven to fail in other countries, makes it easier for the government to say “we tried, but it didn’t work” and then bring in even stricter controls. The problem for us, and them, is that it isn’t clear even with Delta, let alone Omicon, that lockdowns actually work. Look at New South Wales in Australia; months upon end of one of the democratic world’s strictest lockdowns and increases in case rates only seemed flat along the Y axis.

Cdd89

Established Member
Effectively, every small step toward more restrictions, especially those that have been proven to fail in other countries, makes it easier for the government to say “we tried, but it didn’t work”
Good point. Restrictions, even minor ones, are an acknowledgement that the spread needs to be controlled. Therefore, if they fail (which they will), it guarantees further restrictions; they can’t just say “oh well, we’ll leave it there” because it would be to acknowledge that the preceding restrictions were pointless.

DustyBin

Established Member
Good point. Restrictions, even minor ones, are an acknowledgement that the spread needs to be controlled. Therefore, if they fail (which they will), it guarantees further restrictions; they can’t just say “oh well, we’ll leave it there” because it would be to acknowledge that the preceding restrictions were pointless.

I hate to sound pessimistic (really I do!) but I fear where this is heading. A week ago lockdown was out of the question; seemingly that is no longer the case. Once "Plan B" has proven to be a waste of time (which it will) then what?

Eyersey468

Established Member
I hate to sound pessimistic (really I do!) but I fear where this is heading. A week ago lockdown was out of the question; seemingly that is no longer the case. Once "Plan B" has proven to be a waste of time (which it will) then what?
I agree with this as well. Another lockdown will kill a lot of businesses stone dead.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ll never forget last January when there were threats of making the lockdown more strict. Fortunately this never came to pass in England, but I could certainly see it based upon what other countries have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.