• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Omicron variant and the measures implemented in response to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
So once again the virus is intelligent enough to know that it's not allowed to spread in nightclubs/pubs/restaurants...
Makes sense in a way - constantly bringing your hands to your mouth with food/drink then handling masks would be counterproductive - perhaps a lightbulb went off in BoJo’s head... no, I can’t give him that much credit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
The public from the four corners of the UK have made enormous sacrifices since covid people have lost loved ones family and friends they also didn’t see some of them for several months to comply with the goverments advice , jobs and livelihoods have been lost , businesses have closed temporarily and permanently , the people have complied with the goverments advice millions have millions have had the jabs because we was promised it was a cautious and irreversible way forward and to do away with restrictions on our freedoms ( today proves this is not the case ) how have the goverment returned the favour …

they have taken us for fools
Their mantra seems to have shifted from hands face and space to do as I say and not as I do and that’s without going into the Hancock saga and the Christmas party fiasco

we have gone back to having restrictions imposed upon us they seem happy to impose them without thinking of the effects it will have on the people both mentally and financially

like many others I no longer have any goodwill left for the goverment and I will not be complying with the latest restrictions

Last edited:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
they have taken us for fools
Their mantra seems to be do as I say and not as I do and that’s without going into the Hancock saga and the Christmas party fiasco

we have gone back to having restrictions imposed upon us they seem happy to impose them without thinking of the effects it will have on the people both mentally and financially

like many others I no longer have any goodwill left for the goverment and I will not be complying with the latest restrictions
Completely agree - well put.

duncanp

Established Member
More definite confirmation that hospitality is not included in the silly new face nappy rules from Friday.

I can't copy the text as required by forum rules, because it is copyright protected on the website.

But those who are able to do so can click on the link and read the article.

Towers

Established Member
Again, we've been through is:

In England:

Age 40-49: 2000 Covid deaths
Age 30-39: 700 Covid deaths
Age 20-29: 230 Covid deaths

By contrast total deaths due to AZ side effects (in all age groups) may be just about in double figures.

Nevertheless, due to the high relative risk of side effects in younger ages, under 40s have been offered alternative to the AZ vaccine since May: Under 40s to be offered alternative to AZ vaccine - BBC News
I'll ask again; where are the figures that so reliably quantify the death rate from vaccine side effects? And how many of the deaths you list above (they'll be deaths "with" Covid, I presume, as per the government figures?) are of healthy people with no underlying conditions?

When you're ready; thanks.

quantinghome

Established Member
I think you need to rethink that. From the Torygraph article:

"Up to November 17, the MHRA had received Yellow Card reports of 426 cases of major thromboembolic events. The overall case fatality rate was 17 per cent with 73 deaths."

The report states that other adverse reactions have caused at least nine additional fatalities and 86 further injuries many of which involve life changing disablement.

Those are just the deaths that were not put down to something else. Given that the covid deaths include anyone dying within 28 days of a positive test of whatever cause and that people with the vaccine have still died of Covid anyway, it dosen't look a good bet to me for anyone under 40 in good health and dubious for anyone under 50 in good health.

The MHRA report (Coronavirus Vaccine - summary of Yellow Card reporting (publishing.service.gov.uk)) breaks the data down by age group:

1638998590647.png

I'll say it, yet again, in the younger age groups there is very little chance of deaths being mislabelled as Covid.

And are you seriously calling into question vaccine efficacy, because if you are we're into a whole different problem.

Smidster

Angry as hell right now and tough to see much of a way forward.

We all know these restrictions will do nothing and frankly the data from SA suggests there isn't even anything to really worry about.

I had actually just booked a few things for Jan / Feb in the hope life would be better - Now even if they go ahead it will be masked so turns something fun into a chore.

And there is absolutely no hope or end in sight - no metrics by which these measures are reversed of "goal" to aim for. Let's say that in a month hospitalisation and death is even lower than today - we know we have this rubbish for months...possibly until you have your new vaccine!

Well done Bozo - you have beaten me.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Angry as hell right now and tough to see much of a way forward.

We all know these restrictions will do nothing and frankly the data from SA suggests there isn't even anything to really worry about.

I had actually just booked a few things for Jan / Feb in the hope life would be better - Now even if they go ahead it will be masked so turns something fun into a chore.

And there is absolutely no hope or end in sight - no metrics by which these measures are reversed of "goal" to aim for. Let's say that in a month hospitalisation and death is even lower than today - we know we have this rubbish for months...possibly until you have your new vaccine!

Well done Bozo - you have beaten me.
You're not the only one, I am really struggling to see an end to this now. I've been questioning why I bothered getting jabbed since the mask mandate came back.

Another concern I have is are we now going to be in and out of restrictions forever more every winter?

quantinghome

Established Member
I'll ask again; where are the figures that so reliably quantify the death rate from vaccine side effects? And how many of the deaths you list above (they'll be deaths "with" Covid, I presume, as per the government figures?) are of healthy people with no underlying conditions?

When you're ready; thanks.
I'll pass thanks. Brandolini's Law and all that.

Class 33

Established Member
The Tory rebellion on voting these measures in will be interesting: the highest so far during covid has been 78, I reckon if at least 100 rebel this time this will spell trouble for Johnson, which may happen given the CRG could well unite in opposition, and a number of other Tory MPs would want to show dissatisfaction at the purpose of this announcement.

Is there to be a parliament vote on these latest batch of ridiculous uncalled for restrictions? It will UNFORTUNATELY probably win by a landslide yet again. Problem is with the last vote, only 25 MP's voted against it! What happened to the 70 odd strong CRG group with that vote?

I really can not believe what is happening to this country with these blasted restrictions starting to come back all over again. We do not deserve this. Get us back to normal for crying out loud!

Last edited:

MikeWM

Established Member
'Irreversible'. A reminder that that was supposedly why we lost most of spring and a good deal of summer to restrictions. Well, that went well.

As an aside, interesting that they've scrapped the 'no tests' idea on the 'vaccine passports', at least for now. As I speculated on the Scotland thread when the same thing happened there, I wonder if we're going to move to 'testing passports'. Having to get permission from the government multiple times a week to live a normal life is rather more in the spirit of a social credit system than just having to do something once every few months.

dave87016

Established Member
Has it not dawned on the goverment yet , they keep highlighting the need to get vaccinated and a booster jab yet millions have had at least 2 doses and here we are again With restrictions imposed on us clearly they are sending out the message that there is no incentive to get the jab because despite millions and millions of us getting it we still haven’t got our freedoms

brad465

Established Member

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Has it not dawned on the goverment yet , they keep highlighting the need to get vaccinated and a booster jab yet millions have had at least 2 doses and here we are again With restrictions imposed on us clearly they are sending out the message that there is no incentive to get the jab because despite millions and millions of us getting it we still haven’t got our freedoms
Agreed. Either the vaccines are the route out or they are not.

We will probably rabbit-hole ourselves into mandatory vaccinations by the spring if we are not careful. I don't think this is a good idea as a matter of policy.

However, those who find themselves perhaps, out of work and finding it difficult to do things like attend discretionary events and spend their leisure time as they please, will at least be Very Safe™ from the Possibly Very Harmful Vaccines™. Which side is it that goes on about purchasing security and safety at the expense of liberty again?

Socanxdis

The South African scientist who discovered this variant clearly stated in interviews with UK media that the UK govt was overreacting. This was when travel bans from Southern African nations were announced. Plan B is just unbelievable.

farleigh

Agreed. Either the vaccines are the route out or they are not.

We will probably rabbit-hole ourselves into mandatory vaccinations by the spring if we are not careful. I don't think this is a good idea as a matter of policy.

However, those who find themselves perhaps, out of work and finding it difficult to do things like attend discretionary events and spend their leisure time as they please, will at least be Very Safe™ from the Possibly Very Harmful Vaccines™. Which side is it that goes on about purchasing security and safety at the expense of liberty again?
I do not understand the gist of this post.

Are you laying the blame for any future restrictions with people who have not received the vaccine or with the minister who imposes the restrictions?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I do not understand the gist of this post.

Are you laying the blame for any future restrictions with people who have not received the vaccine or with the minister who imposes the restrictions?
The post does not try to attach any blame for future restrictions at all, but note that I said I don't think it is good policy.

MikeWM

Established Member
The South African scientist who discovered this variant clearly stated in interviews with UK media that the UK govt was overreacting. This was when travel bans from Southern African nations were announced. Plan B is just unbelievable.

Actual facts haven't mattered for some time now. They're just doing what they want to do (and/or are being instructed to do), in lockstep with the rest of the world.

21C101

Established Member

3rd rail land

Has it not dawned on the government yet , they keep highlighting the need to get vaccinated and a booster jab yet millions have had at least 2 doses and here we are again With restrictions imposed on us clearly they are sending out the message that there is no incentive to get the jab because despite millions and millions of us getting it we still haven’t got our freedoms
Exactly. At this point I am going to do the absolute minimum that the law requires me to. I'll comply and wear a mask where it is legally required as its not worth risking a fine for non compliance but I'm certainly not getting any more jabs regardless of how much Boris and his cronies plead with us to get jabbed. We know that these newly imposed restrictions do not work as evidenced in wales so there's no point putting in any more effort than the are minimum.

Infuriatingly Boris will undoubtedly increase the restrictions when 'Plan B' doesn't reduce cases of the Omicron variant to virtually none. We live with other respiratory diseases in society and we need to learn to live with this one as well. We need to do this starting immediately rather than decimating our economy by mandating pointless restrictions.

brad465

Established Member
Well this is a good start to Plan B life:

The NHS Covid Pass has crashed hours after the prime minister said it would become mandatory for some venues in England from next week.
Users reported being unable to download their domestic or travel passes from the NHS app and website following Boris Johnson's announcement.
People trying to access their pass on the app were met with a message asking them to try again later.
NHS Digital said the issue was being investigated as a priority.
From Wednesday, the NHS Covid Pass will be required to gain entry to:
  • Nightclubs
  • Indoor unseated venues with more than 500 people
  • Unseated outdoor venues with more than 4,000 people
  • Any venue with more than 10,000 people
The pass can be obtained by having two vaccines, a negative lateral flow test or a positive PCR test result in the past six months.

People will be exempt when attending religious worship, weddings and funerals.
Vaccine passports are already required for venues in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For domestic purposes, I have no plans to wear a flimsy mask, no plans to show a vaccine passport/certificate, and I will make plans to visit pubs more often.

I also deem it to be compulsory for anyone I meet in a pub to not be wearing a mask, and I expect to see no such masks, as a show of respect for others, especially those with hearing impairments etc.

This announcement has no effect on me, other than making me more determined to resist and encouraging me to do the opposite of what the Government wants me to do.

I hope many people and organisations resist.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Exactly. At this point I am going to do the absolute minimum that the law requires me to. I'll comply and wear a mask where it is legally required as its not worth risking a fine for non compliance but I'm certainly not getting any more jabs regardless of how much Boris and his cronies plead with us to get jabbed.

This is the sort of rabbit-holing that I alluded to earlier. So, essentially, you will do what is legally required of you, but as long as it remains voluntary, you will not be getting any (more) vaccinations. Where do you think that logic leads you?

Eyersey468

Established Member
Exactly. At this point I am going to do the absolute minimum that the law requires me to. I'll comply and wear a mask where it is legally required as its not worth risking a fine for non compliance but I'm certainly not getting any more jabs regardless of how much Boris and his cronies plead with us to get jabbed. We know that these newly imposed restrictions do not work as evidenced in wales so there's no point putting in any more effort than the are minimum.

Infuriatingly Boris will undoubtedly increase the restrictions when 'Plan B' doesn't reduce cases of the Omicron variant to virtually none. We live with other respiratory diseases in society and we need to learn to live with this one as well. We need to do this starting immediately rather than decimating our economy by mandating pointless restrictions.
I'm also not prepared to do any more than the absolute minimum.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
This is the sort of rabbit-holing that I alluded to earlier. So, essentially, you will do what is legally required of you, but as long as it remains voluntary, you will not be getting any (more) vaccinations. Where do you think that logic leads you?
More restrictions........

Status
Not open for further replies.