• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On The Final Day of HST's Swindon To Swansea 18th May 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

I enjoyed a trip on one of the last HST runs from Swindon to Swansea. The set comprised of 43 198 dedicated to Brian Cooper OOC driver who died in the Paddington Crash in 1999. With W43 002 "Sir Kennet Grange" at the London end.

I remember Brian Cooper when he joined the railway as a young and very keen lad and met him many times over the years in the passing and remember too his enjoyment and pride when he became a driver.

All around the train enjoyed the trip in a quiet but happy mood and the train crew too were caught up in the historical day, at the end of such an iconic High Speed Train that were widely a favourite from day one back in 1976. I travelled from Didcot to Marylebone depot every working day from 1974 to 1981. I remember how it changed my travelling time too and from work on the 60 miles each way, door to door. Likewise having moved from Aberdeen in the 60's, which meant a long night's journey in each direction that was a long, tiring drag. I recall the very first time I travelled on an HST from Kings Cross in the day time and arriving in Aberdeen in just seven and a half house and still felt quite fresh. Likewise n the return journey.

There will never be another train set like the HST's and from experience of the new electric trains they really don't come anywhere near the comfort of the Mark 3 coaching stock of the HST's. However, they are going to be around a long time therefore we shall probably get used to them. They certain have an impressive exellaration. I stood by one at Reading station a few weeks back and I was very impressed with the performance.

34rhm3k.jpg

2hi4dvr.jpg

nnk0b6.jpg

334i3pd.jpg

2rwvnyg.jpg

2yyxxyd.jpg

29gbm8n.jpg

2yy721d.jpg

2unue74.jpg

2e0pppt.jpg

2mzy1de.jpg

153nxup.jpg

10iawyg.jpg

mli4hg.jpg

2556cxy.jpg

8x1kzc.jpg

11ikak8.jpg

34j4ufp.jpg

29c8dw5.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Ahh...sad times indeed, nice set of pictures there Bill, thanks for posting them. It's just so hard to imagine the western without 125s after such a long time in frontline service, I wonder if the new 8xx units will receive such a fond farewell in 35 or so years time? Must admit I'm shocked at seeing Swindon since it was fully wired up, having said that the last time I was there the motive power was still class 47/50/52s etc. Oh and not forgetting the prototype HST!

Status
Not open for further replies.