• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Onboard Train Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

M60lad

Does anybody know who actually employes the onboard train cleaners that go through trains and cleaning them of any litter on XC, Trans Pennine and Virgin Trains and also what's the pay like for doing a job like this and where actually are these cleaners based

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheVicLine

Not sure about XC but the TPE and Virgin contracts are with Carlisle Cleaning Services, I believe that the current rate of pay is about £6.50 p/h. The pay is pretty much the same with all TOCs as the cleaning services are contracted out and there are only really 4 or 5 cleaning contractors big enough and experienced enough to tender for the contracts and the TOCs tend to try and get the work contracted as cheaply as possible.

LU pay £8.55 but they are governed by TfL and therefore pay the London Living Wage, although they don't really have in-service cleaning other than litter picking on the Circle Line.

Not sure where they are based but it is generally at a terminus as they need to dispose of litter/replenish cleaning supplies.

Flamingo

Established Member
Mitie do FGW cleaning on the trains in stations (but not, I think, the depot cleaning), but listening to the cleaners I don't think they will ever win employer of the year.

TheVicLine

Mitie do FGW cleaning on the trains in stations (but not, I think, the depot cleaning), but listening to the cleaners I don't think they will ever win employer of the year.

It's a bit of a vicious circle, traditionally the TOCs have contracted the cleaning contracts to the lowest bidder so the rates of pay are low and the positions attract as such. Expectations are generaly low for these positions from both employer and employee.

DazDude

Amen to that! it's the same on their Virgin Trains contract too! but they only do the stations.

Established Member
Always seems to be the case that cleaners employed by the actual TOC have much better T+Cs compared to the contracted staff.

To add to the above Northern employ their own staff at depots and some stations, but they have been adding more staff on board as well on some routes.

the sniper

Established Member
Does anybody know who actually employes the onboard train cleaners that go through trains and cleaning them of any litter on XC, Trans Pennine and Virgin Trains and also what's the pay like for doing a job like this and where actually are these cleaners based

Not sure about XC but the TPE and Virgin contracts are with Carlisle Cleaning Services

Must be location dependent. In the Midlands the Virgin ones are employed by Voith Industrial Services.

Status
Not open for further replies.