• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One more day to go...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
...until I can apply for my Senior Railcard, I intend to do it 0001 Friday morning, 2 weeks in advance of the Sad Day.
No chance of a bus pass yet, but anyhow, are there any other cards/passes I should be applying for (National Trust, Museums etc etc)?
Not saying there are any over 60's on this messageboard, (!!) but if there are, what do you need for Senior entry where therte are concessions (eg football games?) - would my Senior Railcard do as ID for non-railway stuff?
Heck, it's bad enough being 59 and 5/4ths, so might as well use it's benefits!

NB my ferry Ibiza/Formentera cost (away in Oct) comes down somewhat as 60 is the cut off for senior rates in Spain - more to spend on wine and beer...sorry, culture ha ha!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
I mean: it is cheaper for some things when you reach a certain age (65).

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
...until I can apply for my Senior Raillcard...
(snip)
NB my ferry Ibiza/Formentera cost (away in Oct) comes down somewhat as 60 is the cut off for senior rates in Spain - more to spend on wine and beer...sorry, culture ha ha!!

Do you not need to have a Señor Railcard for Spain?

I’ll get my coat.

PeterC

Established Member
Ages for concessions do vary, with the harmonisation of male and female pension ages your bus pass is probably going to get you more cut prices although a few extra lines on your face may let you blag a few.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
The best thing about having a Senior Railcard was the occasion someone said...'you're over 60? Seriously?'
I can't think that I have used it for anything in particular apart from Rail Journeys, as PeterC says, ages for concessions do vary and sadly when I have got a concession (eg our local arts centre) I haven't had to show any proof of age. Most concessions do seem to be 65, which to me is fair enough.

Howardh

Established Member
Just to add - applied for it on Friday, recieved it (the 3-yr card) 11am today (Saturday). Great service!!

Note that it's not valid for am peak trains in London :( but it is in Manchester :D it seems!

gtis

Ages for concessions do vary, with the harmonisation of male and female pension ages your bus pass is probably going to get you more cut prices although a few extra lines on your face may let you blag a few.

I get my bus pass when I am 65 in November I got a senior rail card about a month ago
Neil

PeterY

Established Member
I got my Senior card back in January. It was great to ditch my old Notwork Card, with its 10am restriction and £13 minimum spend. I took my passport along to Hemel Hempstead station on the actual day of my 60th and I made sure I used my new card. I took a train the Northampton. I've used it lots since and even done two ALR's

I dreaded the thought of being 40 but looked forward to being 60.

Howardh

Established Member
I got my Senior card back in January. It was great to ditch my old Notwork Card, with its 10am restriction and £13 minimum spend. I took my passport along to Hemel Hempstead station on the actual day of my 60th and I made sure I used my new card. I took a train the Northampton. I've used it lots since and even done two ALR's
NOTwork? You been in the Northern area recently? :p

Bobdogs

On Moderation
Come and live in Wales. Bus pass at 60
. Plus free travel on HOWL between Swansea and Shrewsbury and on Cambrian Coast north of Machynlleth October to March. Best time to travel on HOWL because no leaves to block the view.

Status
Not open for further replies.