• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One ticket for all passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Hi

Yesterday my dad and brother went on a journey from a station where you had to buy onboard the train and then rather being issued with a ticket each person for each leg, they were given 1 ticket for each leg with the number of pax as 1 adult and 1 child. Is this an optional thing done voluntarily by the guard or is it going to be the standard procedure now for all tickets when more than one person is travelling? Although the ticket was brought with a FAM discount, so is it that it is only now going to be that procedure when brought with FAM discount to ensure all pax stay together. Also does anyone know if this only applies to Avantix issued tickets or whether everywhere you buy tickets for more than one person will give you one ticket with the number of pax changed as appropriate? It won't work if so for a number of reasons.

Tia

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's not standard, no. You'll usually only get this when buying onboard as the guard can see that you're travelling together. For return tickets, they should ask whether you're coming back together but in this case the guard would have known due to the FAM discount.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
It used to be possible with any ticket machine, back in the days of APTIS and SPORTIS. Cubic 'FasTis' machines won't do it for combinations of adults and children, but will give the option to do it for three or more Adults, or three or more children, but then Northern Rail retail guidelines are not to issue multiple passengers on the same ticket as it causes problems at ticket barriers and where some passengers have a change of travel plans.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
...and where some passengers have a change of travel plans.

Just out of interest and it's slightly off topic, what would the procedure be in such a scenario; would the passenger be penalised?

I often see Abellio Greater Anglia guards do it with Family & Friends Railcard tickets, Groupsave 3/4 and often as well on single tickets where it is obvious that they're going to be travelling together. I have also seen a ScotRail Ticket Examiner issue a ticket with more than one person on recently.

There has been a thread on this matter before, I believe it to be an option towards the latter stages of ticket issuing on Avantix Mobile.

TP

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bought one of the West Midlands Evening Group tickets from the Virgin TVMs at Birmingham in December last year and two coupons were issued [it's a return ticket] with Adults FOUR.

Flamingo

Established Member
I've been told it's an ATOC standard that each passenger should have an individual ticket, but I have issued group 4's on a single ticket before now. It has puddled off more than one group of footsie fans who thought they could split up for the way back!

tractakid

Southern's DaySave 4 was issued on one ticket. The ticket barrier staff at Brighton expected me to put it through the barrier, I have no idea how he expected the other 3 to get through, even if it operated barriers!

Brucey

Southern's DaySave 4 was issued on one ticket. The ticket barrier staff at Brighton expected me to put it through the barrier, I have no idea how he expected the other 3 to get through, even if it operated barriers!
It is also technically issued only to one passenger, with the ticket type defining whether there are more than one passenger.

The best (or should I say worst) multi-person ticket issued was Southern's SuperGroup offer from a few years ago. This one ticket is actually valid for two people, despite what it says on the ticket.

Attachments

• supergroup.jpg
    supergroup.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 54

island

Veteran Member
I've been told it's an ATOC standard that each passenger should have an individual ticket, but I have issued group 4's on a single ticket before now. It has puddled off more than one group of footsie fans who thought they could split up for the way back!

And there was me thinking GroupSave wasn't supposed to be issued on board ;)

Flamingo

Established Member
Depends where and when (and my mood and their attitude - if both are bad, forget it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.