• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Only Paper Tickets Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Essexman

Established Member
I'm trying to book off peak returns from Birmingham New Street to Upminster (outward 2nd July, return 3rd July) but neither Avanti nor Cross Country offers the option for tickets sent by email. They only offer paper tickets - by post or pick up at station.

I need this because the tickets are for my sons' family so I need to forward them to them.

Is this likely to be a fault with the system or because the journey involves London Underground travel?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's because the journey uses the Underground, who don't accept e-tickets.

A workaround is to use PayPal or pay with a giftcard, which will then allow collection using any card.

Essexman

Established Member
Thanks.
I'll book paper tickets and pay the £2.00 to get them posted to my son's address.

But now struggling to book seats at a table. Avanti allocated seats that are not together in an almost fully booked coach. There are tables free in other less busy coaches but Seat Picker won't let me change to them.

So many times booking train tickets isn't straightforward. I've already had to contact CS this morning after it would only allow me to book a club cabin for one person. Booking for one allowed cabins to be selected and booking with Flexipass. Entering two adults wouldn't allow either.

Essexman

Established Member
Advances? Seat selection doesn't work with any TOC if you have the last ticket of that tier.

No, off peak returns.

This is the message I'm getting-​

Sorry, your old seat has been cancelled and we are unable to book your selected seat at the moment. Please try again to reserve another seat to proceed further. Please do not refresh your web page as this may cause your booking to fail.​

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There is still one or two retailers out there who offer free (or at least cheaper than £2) postage. Sadly I can’t remember who they are off hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.