• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open-access services in the Netherlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielB

One-and-a-half year after the first request at the Autoriteit Consument en Markt (the Dutch market authority) for permission, the open access night trains by Arriva Netherlands will start running in the 2023 timetable.
As of December 16th, every night from Friday to Saturday, a night service from Maastricht to Schiphol Airport will start running. The nightly service from Groningen to Schiphol will start a few weeks later in January. This is the very first time an open access rail service will start within the Netherlands.

A ticket for the night trains will cost 10 euros regardless of where the passenger boards/exits and is only available via the glimble by Arriva app. Reservations are required.
Due to the lengthy disruption at the Hanzelijn no test runs are possible on the Groningen - Schiphol route. Therefore the services on this route will start a few weeks later, but the exact starting date is not yet known.

Source: OV Pro

On the website of Arriva there's a list of frequently asked questions (in Dutch) and the timetable.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanielB

For the Maastricht - Schiphol service I heard their FLIRT3 from the Limburg franchise will be used. For Groningen - Schiphol their Stadler WINK units are probably the only option as AFAIK there's a ban on diesel trains in the railway tunnel at Schiphol and the WINK is bi-mode diesel/electric while their GTW units in the north are diesel only.

rvdborgt

One-and-a-half year after the first request at the Autoriteit Consument en Markt (the Dutch market authority) for permission, the open access night trains by Arriva Netherlands will start running in the 2023 timetable.
As of December 16th, every night from Friday to Saturday, a night service from Maastricht to Schiphol Airport will start running. The nightly service from Groningen to Schiphol will start a few weeks later in January. This is the very first time an open access rail service will start within the Netherlands.
I don't think that last statement is correct because there was Lovers Rail from 1996 until 1999.

busestrains

On Moderation

A ticket for the night trains will cost 10 euros regardless of where the passenger boards/exits and is only available via the glimble by Arriva app. Reservations are required.
Due to the lengthy disruption at the Hanzelijn no test runs are possible on the Groningen - Schiphol route. Therefore the services on this route will start a few weeks later, but the exact starting date is not yet known.

Source: OV Pro

On the website of Arriva there's a list of frequently asked questions (in Dutch) and the timetable.
Tickets are only available on the app? There is no other way to purchase? So people without bank accounts and people without smartphones can not use this service? What about many older people who do not have smartphones and therefore can not use the app? They can not expect everyone to have a smartphone so is there really no other way to buy tickets besides the app? If that is the case this must be the first public transport in the world that requires you to use an app to buy a ticket and has no alternative?

What will they do if someone boards the train and does not have a ticket? Will they be given a penalty fare or is there any facility to sell onboard?

Also are these new open access services DOO? I think all other Arriva Netherlands trains are DOO so i presume these are too?

AdamWW

Established Member
Tickets are only available on the app? There is no other way to purchase? So people without bank accounts and people without smartphones can not use this service? What about many older people who do not have smartphones and therefore can not use the app? They can not expect everyone to have a smartphone so is there really no other way to buy tickets besides the app? If that is the case this must be the first public transport in the world that requires you to use an app to buy a ticket and has no alternative?

What will they do if someone boards the train and does not have a ticket? Will they be given a penalty fare or is there any facility to sell onboard?

Also are these new open access services DOO? I think all other Arriva Netherlands trains are DOO so i presume these are too?

I suspect it isn't a world first in requiring people to use an app to travel, not that I'm keen on the idea. But not being able to use a very infrequent open access operator for lack of a smart phone isn't the same as, say, not being able to use NS.

It's not clear how the chipkaart scheme could work with open access operators - the whole infrastructure seems based on the idea that operators are firmly tied to particular routes.

deltic

Established Member
The world of course is full of people without bank accounts and smartphones travelling on night trains to an airport! Taxis are public transport and app only payments to use the likes of Uber and Lyft have been around for years.

busestrains

On Moderation
I suspect it isn't a world first in requiring people to use an app to travel, not that I'm keen on the idea. But not being able to use a very infrequent open access operator for lack of a smart phone isn't the same as, say, not being able to use NS.

It's not clear how the chipkaart scheme could work with open access operators - the whole infrastructure seems based on the idea that operators are firmly tied to particular routes.
I thought that the smartcard system in the Netherlands has separate readers for each operator? I am pretty sure i have seen multiple readers for different operators next to each other? So surely they could just install more Arriva readers at these stations and passengers make sure they touch in and touch out on the Arriva readers?

The world of course is full of people without bank accounts and smartphones travelling on night trains to an airport! Taxis are public transport and app only payments to use the likes of Uber and Lyft have been around for years.
I thought that Taxis always take cash? I always pay cash when i use them and that includes when i have been to the Netherlands in the past so i presume they still do? So what are these Uber and Lyft that you mention? I have not heard of them before but a quick search online suggests these are apps to book taxis? So surely these are just alternative methods of booking taxis but you can still pay cash by phoning the company to book and paying the driver?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I thought that the smartcard system in the Netherlands has separate readers for each operator? I am pretty sure i have seen multiple readers for different operators next to each other? So surely they could just install more Arriva readers at these stations and passengers make sure they touch in and touch out on the Arriva readers?

Yes, that is correct. Each time you change TOC you touch out on the previous one and in on the new one. It is really quite clunky but will have far fewer anomalies than Oyster.

I thought that Taxis always take cash? I always pay cash when i use them and that includes when i have been to the Netherlands in the past so i presume they still do? So what are these Uber and Lyft that you mention? I have not heard of them before but a quick search online suggests these are apps to book taxis? So surely these are just alternative methods of booking taxis but you can still pay cash by phoning the company to book and paying the driver?

Uber, Bolt, Lyft etc are minicab companies (much as they like to evade regulation by claiming they are not) and the app is the only way to use them.

DanielB

Tickets are only available on the app? There is no other way to purchase? So people without bank accounts and people without smartphones can not use this service? What about many older people who do not have smartphones and therefore can not use the app? They can not expect everyone to have a smartphone so is there really no other way to buy tickets besides the app?
Indeed there aren't other options. But be aware this actually is a big trial, they'll have to come up with some kind of solution as in the new franchise starting in 2025 NS is probably losing the exclusive rights for running trains on some busy domestic routes. At the moment the OV-chipcard system isn't suitable for open access trains, but offering e-tickets could be an option when this service is succesfull.
For this experiment they're just using an existing app already working countrywide instead of developing something completely new or adding additional card readers.

Do consider the background as well: the federation of Dutch mobility providers (FMN, in which the regional operators Arriva, Keolis, Transdev, Qbuzz and EBS work together) is very keen on getting a bigger share on the railway network. These night trains are therefore also a way of showing what they'll be capable to on the main rail network, trying to influence the public opinion. It's actually the very same FMN that has announced they are going to court to fight the new Hoofdrailnet franchise being awarded to NS.
Selling tickets on board is actually non-existent in the Netherlands: the guards (or ticket inspectors at regional operators) are all sworn in investigative officers. They'll require you to present a means of identification and issue penalty fares for which you'll receive an invoice at your home address.
But boarding without ticket will be relatively rare anyway: except Schiphol Airport all stations en route from Maastricht have gates so you'll need to have the QR-code ticket to enter the station anyway. What might happen is that people touch in at NS and then travel on this train. Though that's not smart anyway as its more expensive and might result in a penalty fare on top of that.
Yes they are. Though stewards will be present on the trains according to Arriva.
I don't think that last statement is correct because there was Lovers Rail from 1996 until 1999.
There was, but I'd consider running open access trains on lines no longer served by NS or to stations not served by NS as something different than offering open access trains on one of the busiest rail corridors in the country.
Only the Amsterdam - Haarlem service by Lovers Rail comes close, though the whole situation in the 90s was quite different.

busestrains

On Moderation
Yes, that is correct. Each time you change TOC you touch out on the previous one and in on the new one. It is really quite clunky but will have far fewer anomalies than Oyster.

Uber, Bolt, Lyft etc are minicab companies (much as they like to evade regulation by claiming they are not) and the app is the only way to use them.
I suppose that system makes it much easier to split the revenue between operators as they know exactly which operators that which passengers have travelled on. As here in the UK there is normally no way to tell so the revue split is more complicating.

Interesting to hear about those taxi apps. I have just looked in to them more now. At least the normal taxi companies (which you phone to book) are still available. I hope those app based ones do not become more common in the future and replace normal taxis.

Indeed there aren't other options. But be aware this actually is a big trial, they'll have to come up with some kind of solution as in the new franchise starting in 2025 NS is probably losing the exclusive rights for running trains on some busy domestic routes. At the moment the OV-chipcard system isn't suitable for open access trains, but offering e-tickets could be an option when this service is succesfull.
For this experiment they're just using an existing app already working countrywide instead of developing something completely new or adding additional card readers.

Do consider the background as well: the federation of Dutch mobility providers (FMN, in which the regional operators Arriva, Keolis, Transdev, Qbuzz and EBS work together) is very keen on getting a bigger share on the railway network. These night trains are therefore also a way of showing what they'll be capable to on the main rail network, trying to influence the public opinion. It's actually the very same FMN that has announced they are going to court to fight the new Hoofdrailnet franchise being awarded to NS.

Selling tickets on board is actually non-existent in the Netherlands: the guards (or ticket inspectors at regional operators) are all sworn in investigative officers. They'll require you to present a means of identification and issue penalty fares for which you'll receive an invoice at your home address.
But boarding without ticket will be relatively rare anyway: except Schiphol Airport all stations en route from Maastricht have gates so you'll need to have the QR-code ticket to enter the station anyway. What might happen is that people touch in at NS and then travel on this train. Though that's not smart anyway as its more expensive and might result in a penalty fare on top of that.

Yes they are. Though stewards will be present on the trains according to Arriva.

There was, but I'd consider running open access trains on lines no longer served by NS or to stations not served by NS as something different than offering open access trains on one of the busiest rail corridors in the country.
Only the Amsterdam - Haarlem service by Lovers Rail comes close, though the whole situation in the 90s was quite different.
Thank you for the information. That is interesting to hear. In the UK the Guards have no power to issue Penalty Fares or report for prosecution so can only sell a ticket. Only the RPIs can do that. It is interesting to hear how other countries do it.

Do the Guards in the Netherlands have discretion? For example what if a customer boards at a minor unstaffed station and all of the ticket machines are broken? Or if they only have cash on them but the ticket machine is not accepting cash? In these occasions would they still be given a Penalty Fare or would they just be told to purchase at their destination?

Also is identification actually required if a Penalty Fare is issued? Or only a requirement to give your full name and home address and date of birth like in the UK? What if someone is not carrying identification on them? That must happen a lot as surely people do not always carry identification on them?

Interesting to hear that NS will probably lose exclusive routes in 2025 especially as until now they have been the main operator on all major routes. I am not a fan of all this privatisation of the railways all over Europe in recent years. I much preferred it in the past when each country had one state owned operator running everything. It makes everything more complicated. But anyway it will certainly be interesting to watch these new night trains and see how busy they get.

DanielB

Do the Guards in the Netherlands have discretion? For example what if a customer boards at a minor unstaffed station and all of the ticket machines are broken? Or if they only have cash on them but the ticket machine is not accepting cash? In these occasions would they still be given a Penalty Fare or would they just be told to purchase at their destination?
It depends a bit on the guard and the situation. Some will just offer you the option to check-in or buy a ticket at the next station. But the official procedure is you'll get a penalty fare, but the guard wil make a note that you cooperated or had a good reason for not having a ticket. The penalty fare will then be reduced to the regular fare by customer service.
However if you forget to touch in regularly, the chance of getting leniency by customer service is almost non-existent.
Also is identification actually required if a Penalty Fare is issued? Or only a requirement to give your full name and home address and date of birth like in the UK? What if someone is not carrying identification on them? That must happen a lot as surely people do not always carry identification on them?
Carrying an ID and presenting it to an authorized officer is actually mandatory in the Netherlands from the age of 14. Guards do have a limited authority however: should someone give a false name, adress or date of birth they'll need to get police assistance to do an identity search or any other means to verify someones identity.

MisterT

It is still possible to buy a ticket on board with the guard, at least at NS. When you pay on the spot, they don't need to see any ID. Most people just don't carry enough cash with them anymore to pay for the ticket and the included surcharge of 50 euros for buying on board.
It is only when you can't pay for the ticket that they'll ask for an ID, just to make sure that the invoice will be sent to the right person and to prepare the official fine in case people won't pay that invoice as well.

DanielB

Changed the topic title as the developments regarding open access night trains in the Netherlands are no longer limited to Arriva only...

Today Qbuzz (part of BusItalia, the bus doughter of Trenitalia) announced in the media that they've requested permission from the Dutch market authority to run nightly services from Dordrecht via Rotterdam, Gouda and Woerden to Utrecht as of december 2024. This open access service would be the first one really competing with NS as the route Qbuzz would like to use is about an hour faster than the NS night trains (which run from Rotterdam via Amsterdam to Utrecht).

Qbuzz wants to run night trains from Dordrecht via Rotterdam to Utrecht. The company has asked the Autoriteit Consument en Markt for permission to run the first trains at the 21st of December 2024..
Qbuzz, a doughter of the Italian state railways, currently runs trains on the tendered route Dordrecht - Geldermalsen (MerwedeLingelijn). As of the end of 2024 European legislation allows private operators to run additional passenger services for own expense. The new night train is a logic sequel on the MerwedeLingelijn, according to spokesperson Arjan van Dijk, but also something the parent company has already got experience with.
Source (in Dutch)

Status
Not open for further replies.