• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNERman

Established Member
if it's very busy then how come there are barely any trains now run by northern on the durham coast
and a 180 - come on - 125mph stock on a line with max speed of what 50?
a 142 or something similar would be more suited...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OMGitsDAVE

if it's very busy then how come there are barely any trains now run by northern on the durham coast
and a 180 - come on - 125mph stock on a line with max speed of what 50?
a 142 or something similar would be more suited...

I just chose the 180 as an example because GC have these. There are quite a few trains from Northern, a half hourly service between 7 & 9, and a half hourly service between 4 & 6. These services are ran hourly throughout the day anyway.

BOSCH

I just chose the 180 as an example because GC have these. There are quite a few trains from Northern, a half hourly service between 7 & 9, and a half hourly service between 4 & 6. These services are ran hourly throughout the day anyway.

The 180's are only allowed to use the through platform dave,they dont have clearance to use the bay platform mate ;)

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Interesting point the little used Helsby to Hooton line.

I recall in the BR Days many years ago, when there was dosh around for 3rd rail, Chester example, it was muted to third rail to Helsby from E Port , but Shell said no, due to flashovers.

I recall a signalman I knew at Ellesmere Port telling me the story, the proposal
was 3rd rail Hooton to Helsby, but it ended at E Port.

Sir_Clagalot

I dont remember the 67s being used on the Shuttles.... just the whole route!

I actually think that Northern could run 2 tph along the Durham Coast. On the hour to Darlington, on the half hour to Middlesbrough. Nearly every train along the coast during the daytime is busy. I'd also want them to start earlier too!

I would be tempted to do Edinburgh to Newcastle using 365s modified to run at 110mph, calling at all stations between the EDB and NCL. Hourly service and with some stations rebuilt on loops to allow XCs and NXECs to pass.

djw1981

Established Member
I'd do that as well. 4 trains a day would be a good starting point IMO. I'd also add a call at Wakefield Westgate/Kirkgate (depends which route it would take), Lockerbie and perhaps some busier stations on the Leeds-Carlisle section, maybe just Settle and Appleby.

I'd also like to see a few trains Dover-Birmingham to connect with the ferries. The service is partly operated by XC, but at the moment the whole journey relies on a cross-London transfer.

a) Glasgow trains IIRC would serve Sheffield in their Nottingham-Glasgow service.

b) is there much traffic to Dover itself. If not then some OA regional eurostar? Brum - Calais, Brum - Zebrugge etc
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I dont remember the 67s being used on the Shuttles.... just the whole route!

I actually think that Northern could run 2 tph along the Durham Coast. On the hour to Darlington, on the half hour to Middlesbrough. Nearly every train along the coast during the daytime is busy. I'd also want them to start earlier too!

I would be tempted to do Edinburgh to Newcastle using 365s modified to run at 110mph, calling at all stations between the EDB and NCL. Hourly service and with some stations rebuilt on loops to allow XCs and NXECs to pass.

There is much murmuring about Berwick & Dunbar niot having an FSR service and some people have muttered about an EMU service to Berwick from Edinburgh (FSR will ahve more EMU than previously thought as they are retaining the cl314's). With soem foresight this could morph (like the GLC-NCL trains do) from FSR to Northern. the only issue would be stock and driver knowledge. The FSR leg is most likely to be cl322/334/318. This would also release some 14x from those routes for redeployment by Nortern.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Eh? You say it runs half hourly in the peak, then you say it ran half hourly throughout the day anyway?

Make your mind up.

GNERman

Established Member
For some reason, I think Grand Central could run local services from Middlesbrough to feed on to the network at either Eaglescliffe or Hartlepool - although Hartlepool has a turning point (the bay), and this train would call at:

To Eaglescliffe:
Thornaby, Eaglescliffe

To Hartlepool:
Thornaby, Stockton, Billingham, Seaton Carew & Hartlepool.

This train could arrive at the destination around 20 minutes before the London/Sunderland service arrives, allowing on-station businesses to flourish. The local train would take 45 Minutes (on average) from Middlesbrough to Hartlepool, and so a train could run every two hours with a 15-minute wait each time allowing ample time for staff changes. This service would be a feeder for the main service, but also a service to help deal with overcrowding issues.

The service would perhaps be ran by one of the 180's that would not be in service. It definately has the popularity to do so, as the coast line is VERY busy between Middlesbrough & Hartlepool. Then Hartlepool - Sunderland & Newcastle, which is ran by NORTHERN - therefore not chipping in to profits, and will not call at any main GC Stations except Hartlepool or Eaglescliffe.

I think this could actually work but the 180 is puzzling me...
the feeder service would be good as those from Middlesborough now have a full train...
shame they can't couple together anywhere...

OMGitsDAVE

I think this could actually work but the 180 is puzzling me...
the feeder service would be good as those from Middlesborough now have a full train...
shame they can't couple together anywhere...

GNER, not only would this service act as a feeder, but it is a local train that would run on a 2-hourly basis and increases capacity due to length.

Status
Not open for further replies.