• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open BVE - Birminham route

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.G.E.Bakker

Hello Everyone
I must confess first of all, that I have just started with Open BVE and am perhaps a big ignorant or unknowledgable about it. I have installed it successfully. So I installed the Birminham route from the appropriate website. I make the following observations:
1. Train routes mention train folder mention for instance class323_dawn or class 323_night, where do get these trains from, because they trains I downloaded from the sight is called class323_open BVE, does that mean I have to change the description in the route file? I mentioned to run part of a daytime run, but find that train is constantly stopped by the safety system, red lights flashing, for no reason at all, as I stick to the speed limits. The sound off and and off, especiall if I put the throttle in neutral seems to die away. At the second station,when I am half through the the stopping postions, the ATM system stops the train and one tells me that I am at the wrong stopping position, but the correct one with the S Signal is a lot further. Appreciate your guidance, have I downloaded the wrong stuff, what do I do wrong ? Any advice would be most appreciated as overall I am most
impressed with Open BVE.

Best wishes from
Oxford New Zealand
Ed Bakker

Attachments

• banner_160.png
    banner_160.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 2
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Well you should read up on UK safety systems for BVE about the flashing lights

Jonfun

Established Member
Well you should read up on UK safety systems for BVE about the flashing lights

Or alternatively, you could post a simple paragraph to help him, we were all new to BVE once.

Ed,

The flashing light you refer to is probably the TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) - This will intervene in a number of situations:
1) As you correctly said, for speeding, if you pass over an Overspeed sensor at higher than linespeed, or higher than 35 on the approach to a signal at Danger.
2) If you were to SPAD (Pass a Signal at Danger) a signal which was fitted with a train stop sensor.
3) If you fail to respond to the AWS horn; this will sound when you pass over an AWS magnet when the signal it corresponds to is at either Red, Yellow, or Double Yellow. This is cancelled using the 'Insert' key in BVE4, however I'm unsure whether its the same in openBVE, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will confirm.

In all cases, you'll need to press the AWS Cancel key (as I say above, it's Insert in BVE4 but could be different in openBVE) to acknowledge the warning and you'll have to wait a period of time before you can move off again.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the file problems, or indeed the sound issues, but with the stopping positions, the route may be set up for a 3-car train, so you may need to look for the "3 Car Stop" board if it exists; if the only board on the station is the "S Car Stop" then it may be a bug in the route.

Hope this helps,

Jon

MCR247

Established Member
Vigilance is the Delete key. Vigilance is where you get a high pitched beeping sound. By pressing the delete key, it should cancel it.

Once you are being stopped by TPWS: Press insert and the flashing red light should stop flashing but will just be on as a red light. when this clears, you can start moving again.

Or alternatively, you could post a simple paragraph to help him, we were all new to BVE once.

Well since you did it, maybe it would have been an idea to tell him about the keys etc... I was in a rush at the time.

E.G.E.Bakker

Ed,

The flashing light you refer to is probably the TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) - This will intervene in a number of situations:
1) As you correctly said, for speeding, if you pass over an Overspeed sensor at higher than linespeed, or higher than 35 on the approach to a signal at Danger.
2) If you were to SPAD (Pass a Signal at Danger) a signal which was fitted with a train stop sensor.
3) If you fail to respond to the AWS horn; this will sound when you pass over an AWS magnet when the signal it corresponds to is at either Red, Yellow, or Double Yellow. This is cancelled using the 'Insert' key in BVE4, however I'm unsure whether its the same in openBVE, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will confirm.

In all cases, you'll need to press the AWS Cancel key (as I say above, it's Insert in BVE4 but could be different in openBVE) to acknowledge the warning and you'll have to wait a period of time before you can move off again.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the file problems, or indeed the sound issues, but with the stopping positions, the route may be set up for a 3-car train, so you may need to look for the "3 Car Stop" board if it exists; if the only board on the station is the "S Car Stop" then it may be a bug in the route.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Good morning Jon
Yes, your response is most helpful and I appreciate the time you took to respond. I am Dutch born and years ago lived in Europe and was in the centre of things in relation to rules and regulations of railways within Europe, but we tend to be a bit isolated in this part of the world. But I am so pleased that we have BVE to enjoy ourselves. Having travelled extensively in UK railways some years ago. Sunday morning here already, but enjoy the rest of your weekend.

regards,
Ed Bakker
P.S. Thanks also for the other replies. Thanks for your time.

Also bear in mind that if a speed restriction is coming into place to slow down sharpish. I've all too often made the mistake of not slowing down quick enough when coming from 70 to 40 and being caught out by the track sensors. It often saves more time to slow down to the desired speed a bit before the restriction comes into place then to be cocky and risk being caught out and lose much more time having to stop and start up again.

E.G.E.Bakker

Vigilance is the Delete key. Vigilance is where you get a high pitched beeping sound. By pressing the delete key, it should cancel it.

Once you are being stopped by TPWS: Press insert and the flashing red light should stop flashing but will just be on as a red light. when this clears, you can start moving again.

Well since you did it, maybe it would have been an idea to tell him about the keys etc... I was in a rush at the time.

Thanks
I have got it all running well.
Cheers
Ed Bakker
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also bear in mind that if a speed restriction is coming into place to slow down sharpish. I've all too often made the mistake of not slowing down quick enough when coming from 70 to 40 and being caught out by the track sensors. It often saves more time to slow down to the desired speed a bit before the restriction comes into place then to be cocky and risk being caught out and lose much more time having to stop and start up again.

Appreciated your in put Justin, thank you.....Ed
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The AWS Cancel key in OBVE is Insert by default, but can be re-configured.

Hi Ryan
Yes, the insert key is fine. Visited your website as well, most enjoyable.

Cheers,

Ed Bakker

Status
Not open for further replies.