• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orkney Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Steamysandy

There's a short overview here: https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/10/orcadian_railways.htm
Written well before the time of the Sanday Light Railway ;)
I have seen a little book as well in the Lyness museum, don't remember title or author - twas not for sale anyway.
The book is the Railways of Orkney written by Wilf Simms and published in the 1990s.My copy was bought at the Lyness Museum in 1999 but I had previously met Wilf in Poland in1992
Prior to that I visited Lyness in 1979 at which time the museum was still in the future.The crane was sitting on the Quayside while the two wagon chassis were at the back and red with rust.
At Rhinnigill,there was a 2ft guage line along a ricketty pier to which a barge for salvage recovery work was moored while a 4 wheel wagon chassis of 2ft gauge was lying on the foreshore at Longhope
I visited Lyness again in 1999 but due to circumstances have been unable to get back up since but I keep an eye on what is going on

Struner

The Rinnigill pier is not very fit for walking on anymore...
A friend of mine knows where to put her feet, but forbids me to go myself - & that is very kind of her :lol:

Steamysandy

I shall be visiting the Mainland next month will have have a look around.
There isn't much on the mainland,if anything.The museum etc I referred to are on the island of Hoy virtually next to the Ferry terminal at Lyness (Ferry from Houten)

Struner

& the museum in Lyness was supposed to reopen again this spring after some renovation, but it seems nothing happened & it won't be open this season <D

Steamysandy

& the museum in Lyness was supposed to reopen again this spring after some renovation, but it seems nothing happened & it won't be open this season <D
According to the website there is a display at the Hoy Hotel ,The work is scheduled to continue till 2020 but the railway exhibits were all outside as far as I know.
Incidentally ,I have a book published locally - A Photographic Portrait of Hoy and Walls which details the entire island,wrecks,railways and Museum in recent times( published 2012) nearly all in colour.The downside is it's 35pounds but pure magnificence!

Steamysandy

I wonder if any of you know that a feature on the railways of Orkney and elsewhere appeared in the Railway Magazine of January 1930?
The Author was a very young Eric S Lomax who later wrote and became the subject of the film the Railwayman released in 2013 starring Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman.
It told the story of his experiences at the hands of the Japanese during World War 2 and subsequent connections

Struner

Steamysandy

I see in the photographs of Lyness that the mtal pier with the plating on the deck has been partially demolished by nature - this is the pier I referred to as Rhinnigill Pier and about not walking on in 1979
The Steam loco at Lyness is shown in a brand new book by Amberley Press - " The Great Scuttle - The end oh the German High Seas Fleet"
I got my pre order copy this morning

Struner

About the aftermath: photos are still turning up of the salvage.
But would this be your train photo? The First Train in Orkney
i_069b.jpg

Steamysandy

Very good! & did you read The man who bought a Navy about the the aftermath?
No I didn't because I didn't know about it
About the aftermath: photos are still turning up of the salvage.
But would this be your train photo? The First Train in Orkney
i_069b.jpg
This is the photo - it is probably the only one taken which is of the Narrow gauge line.There was a standard gauge tank loco from Rosyth up there for a time.
During WW2 some diesel locos were shipped across for use at various sites I suspect.
Many years ago I read a book called Scapa Pilot about the ad hoc set up for shipping supplies of all kinds across the Pentland Firth.

Last edited:

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
But the Sunday Post seems to think otherwise, whether on Orkney, or in Orkney :rolleyes:

I'm a geographer by trade, and I don't know where to draw the line here. I went on holiday to Malta a couple of years ago, and didn't know whether to say "in Malta" or "on Malta". I imagine the citizens have strong views on the matter, either way; as per the stooshie kicked off whenever Shetland is drawn in a box floating in the Moray Firth. You can circumvent the latter issue by arguing that any map of Scotland that doesn't show Rockall is merely an excerpt anyway, so you can stick Shetland wherever you like (within the limits of cartographic good taste).

Orkney is an archipelago, so I imagine it is acceptable to say 'on the Orcadian mainland' or 'in the Orkney archipelago'? Do the good citizens of Gairsay claim to hail from Orkney, The Orkney Islands or Gairsay?

Status
Not open for further replies.