• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orpington Depot query

Status
Not open for further replies.

UpRoad

Hi All

Just wondered if anyone knows of Thameslink Orpington Depot possibly looking to recruit qualified drivers?

Im aware a lot of qualified roles do not get posted unless a mass recruitment is in operation. The usual email to HR may be enough for the odd vacancy at a depot. Any help with a contact email would be appreciated.

Please do personal message me if you are a driver at the depot and able to share any information your willing regarding rostering, terms, routes (is it link based?) etc.. Can only get so much information from outside sources.

Any information would be beneficial.

Thank You

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bionic

Orpington/Sevenoaks to Luton via Bat and Ball/Knockholt and Catford/Herne Hill. St Pancras to Welwyn GC allegedly happening at some point.

It's a four day week with rotating RD pattern. 5 day long weekend every 3 weeks

There are about 50 qualified drivers next door at the SE depot who have expressed an interest to GTR about moving across but so far none have been taken on as the SE depot does all the stuff the GTR depot doesn't want for less money anyway!

UpRoad

Thanks for the information. Didn’t realise that many drivers were looking to move over from SE to GTR.

GTR seems most similar to terms and conditions I’m familiar with when comparing on the ASLEF companies info and the bits you shared.

What are the earliest sign on times and latest sign offs?
Does the roster stick to a set shift time each week. Earlies one week, then lates, then nights?
Again, appreciate your quick response to my thread!

bionic

Didn’t realise that many drivers were looking to move over from SE to GTR.

Yes. Last year a flyer appeared in every SE metro depot except Orpington asking drivers to express an interest in GTR. Turns out it was for Gillingham but that didnt stop over 50 Orpington drivers expressing an interest anyway! They took on a number of drivers from places like Dartford who didnt have to fill in applications or complete their notice period. Rumour has it the GTR work from SE will move across in December so it will be very interesting when that happens.

What are the earliest sign on times and latest sign offs?

All the mega earlies and most of the lates are palmed off on the SE depot so its not too antisocial. It will change when the extra work comes in though. As it stands GTR mainly do the Sevenoaks work while SE do most of the Orpingtons.
Does the roster stick to a set shift time each week. Earlies one week, then lates, then nights?
Yes. Don't quote me on this, but I don't think they do nights at the moment. SE have a 700 night turn (vic and back).

While it looks pretty cushy, its worth remembering that all the stuff SE currently do will be moving over at some point. There are a number of pre-0400 starts with taxis to places like Bellingham and Blackfriars... and talking of taxis, GTR have a taxi agreement so they'll get you to and from work during antisocial hours.

Class2ldn

The taxi agreement I believe is only for current drivers, any new drivers trainee or qualified are not supposed to be entitled to it but they'll never check if you ask anyway.
The roster is a set roster so fixed rest days , no odd days here and there .
Sundays outside but you have to work 12 a year. You can chuck any in as long as you work the 12.

UpRoad

It sounds like remote signing on?
Unless I have that wrong.
If signing on at Orpington or Sevenoaks as you depot do they not get you back to your Home Depot/start point as standard? Say I parked my car there?

12 Sunday’s isn’t bad at all. Especially given the choice to chuck some in provided you meet the number.

The TOCs are always changing in terms and workloads. Not going for GTR because its cushty. Simply nearer to home and similar to my current terms. Easy to balance home/work life on the transition if I manage to get in. If things change after, then that’s just the way thing happen.
Thanks

bionic

Officially its pass between Orpington and Sevenoaks but unofficially you should be able to park at Soaks. Plenty do.

Class2ldn

Your diagram will always sign off at your home depot , whether you go back or not is up to you if its convenient etc.
You can sign on remotely if need be at another depot if it works better but depends on the diagram.

Status
Not open for further replies.